993 Forum 1995-1998

993 ECU Performance Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Swiss_movement
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Thanks for the response. At least you're aware of potential issues. FVD has had some problems with 996 DME ECM re-flashes where the DME ECM became intermittent.
Anytime chips are removed for re-flashing, there's always a potential for a reliability problem.
So for my 1998 car RS Porsche is offering ECU flash for $1200. Fabspeed charges $999. Isn’t Fabspeed a bigger company and more reliable?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiss_movement

So for my 1998 car RS Porsche is offering ECU flash for $1200. Fabspeed charges $999. Isn’t Fabspeed a bigger company and more reliable?
It's just that some mods are inherently unreliable.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
It's just that some mods are inherently unreliable.
Have their been reports of damage/problems? My understanding is that while theoretically you might be pushing the limit a bit more than OEM, in practice the risk is negligable. Is that incorrect?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:13 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Surprises that most who do these chips or re-flashes do not do dyno testing on their cars before and after. Data, not just anecdotes and subjective "feels" better, might propel more here to do these changes if demonstrable, reproducible gains and noticeable changes result.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

Have their been reports of damage/problems? My understanding is that while theoretically you might be pushing the limit a bit more than OEM, in practice the risk is negligable. Is that incorrect?
I should have stated that the reliability issue occurs because the chip needs to be removed to re-flash it, and then reliably re-soldered, i.e. it has 68 very tiny solder pins.
Given the mounting of the DME ECM on the floor of the 993, which vibrates, that increases the likelihood of intermittent connections the result of marginal solder connections.
The following users liked this post:
GJSPIN (06-07-2023)
Old 02-22-2019, 11:33 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Do yourself a HUGE favor and leave the car as is - you won't get an appreciable hp increase except for imaginary.

Perhaps a better route to go would be to buy another car with the horsepower you're looking for.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:08 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Rennsport ECU and believe my car is NIGHT and DAY a different machine and when I run high octane (which is now 100 because it’s crack) Hands down best mod money spent and I have a full regear.

Total problems in 14yrs: 0
Old 02-23-2019, 12:32 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Analog Theory
I have the Rennsport ECU and believe my car is NIGHT and DAY a different machine and when I run high octane (which is now 100 because it’s crack) Hands down best mod money spent and I have a full regear.

Total problems in 14yrs: 0
You can get 100 octane at a few places around here. It's about $9/gal. For those prices, it'd better be night and day
Old 02-23-2019, 12:24 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
Surprises that most who do these chips or re-flashes do not do dyno testing on their cars before and after. Data, not just anecdotes and subjective "feels" better, might propel more here to do these changes if demonstrable, reproducible gains and noticeable changes result.
Perhaps they do - and don't talk much about the results.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:12 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
1. I am guessing GBall is quoting a NEW S/C kit, which I believe is closer to $8K, + installation and tuning. $10K + is not inaccurate, however if you intend on buying used, and DIYing, I am sure it can be done for much less money.
2. There are other reasons people have reflashed ECUs, including 1. removal of immobilizer, 2. stalling issues and 3. dealing with "other" concerns. Fuel map/performance gain is NOT always the primary objective.
Yeah? What do you suppose a "NEW" 97 ECM costs, without a core 97 ECM? Oh wait, they are NO LONGER AVAILABLE!

If we are going to COMPARE, let's either do, NEW to NEW, or USED to USED.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

And here I was under the impression, that Engineering was more logic based and predicated upon test data and results!
Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Yeah? What do you suppose a "NEW" 97 ECM costs, without a core 97 ECM? Oh wait, they are NO LONGER AVAILABLE!

If we are going to COMPARE, let's either do, NEW to NEW, or USED to USED.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

And here I was under the impression, that Engineering was more logic based and predicated upon test data and results!
Juuust relax...it's not that big a deal

Yeah, you'r'e right tho. You can't get a new ECU I don't think. And if you could it's, what, it's $4K plus yours? Then the flash. Or you might have one. Or buy one used. Most expensive case is you need to buy the ECU and then get it flashed, so several thousand. Bottom line: let's be optimistic here and say you get a blazin' 15 horses. In reality, it's probably closer to 7 horses. PS, LAPD routinely has them for about $2K, if someone wants a used unit.

Supercharger you can buy new and have it installed professionally. That's the most expensive path, and safest from a reliability standpoint, and with the kit and install, you're probably looking at least $10K with all the bells and whistles. Or maaaybe you can find one used and maaaaybe it's in good nick and doesn't need anythinge else at all and maaaybe you have the skill to install it yourself; maaaaybe you get it all done for $5K. Bottom line there is about 100 horses.

Either way, both don't look like great options to me. The cheapest scenario in ECU land is you already have a flashable unit and you pay over a grand to get 7 horses. In used supercharger land, the cheapest scenario is you're spending $5K on a used unit with no warranty and hope it doesn't go ka-blooey.

Or.....if you wanna powerful 993, don't buy a N/A 993?
Old 02-23-2019, 05:27 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a '97 and had my Ecu reflashed by Steve Weiner at rennsport systems. The immobilizer was removed at the same time. Is there a difference? I'd say yes but I probably would t have bothered for $4k if I needed a whole new ecu vs 1k I paid.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:26 PM
VladiSel
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU upgrade in the way Steve Weiner did

Hi there,

As we are all know Steve passed away (RIP). I’ve spend a lot of time with him in discussions on my 993 performance upgrade. Unfortunately I’ve found a proper ECU too late…

I wonder is there someone in US or Europe who can do that work in a way Steve did?
Old 06-06-2023, 06:46 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

If you're in Europe, this is the guy:

https://chipwizards.co.uk/
Old 06-06-2023, 08:01 PM
VladiSel
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I based in US and EU is just an option in case of no one local

Quick Reply: 993 ECU Performance Upgrade