993 Forum 1995-1998

Steering issue - Hard to Turn Left

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 2,715 Posts
Default Steering issue - Hard to Turn Left

I'm starting a dedicated thread to follow up on a question I previously posed. I've had some issues with steering on my '98 C4S. What I've noticed is that the wheel is very hard to turn to the left. Basically need two hands to do it. I also don't feel a hard lock at the limit. Turning to the right is pretty standard - stiff but normal. I can move it with one hand and it hits a hard lock.

Power steering fluid is normal level. There are no whining noises. P/S belt looks fine.

No clunks or grinding sensations. It runs dead center and true on the highway at 80mph.

The car had a shimmy a few years ago and had new control arms and tie rods installed. This was prior to my ownership. That shimmy was resolved.

There are no leaks of fluid that I can see on my floor.

I don't think it's the power steering at this point - could this be the steering rack? Could misalignment do this? As mentioned - it's drives perfectly straight with wheel dead center.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:36 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Is this just when driving or if you jack the front up is it still stiff on l/h lock? Tyres ok? Front alignment problem?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your caster has slipped on one side.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:54 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Endoman
Is this just when driving or if you jack the front up is it still stiff on l/h lock? Tyres ok? Front alignment problem?
When driving it's fine, though a little heavier when turning the wheel left. It's mostly notable if turning the wheel when the car is still or moving very slow, ie <5mph.

Tires are fine. I'm not sure if it's a front end alignment issue - because the car otherwise drives rock solid and straight as an arrow.

I haven't tried jacking up the front. I have noticed that when moving the wheel to the right and left with the engine off (key in ACC mode), the steering effort is the same.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
Sounds like your caster has slipped on one side.
It does seem that way. If I'm not mistaken, excessive positive caster shouldn't necessarily affect whether the car pulls one way or another? The car runs perfectly straight otherwise.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct, it could still track straight but your steering effort will be different side to side. You may also notice that it returns to center better one way than the other.

If you had work done on the control arms then the caster adjustment would have been disturbed as part of this.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:59 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Check to make sure things are assembled properly in the front and not binding or twisting;
Verify that the rack is in the center of its travel when the wheels are pointed straight forward;
Verify the rack stop washers are present and facing the correct direction on each side of the rack held in place by the threaded-in inside tire rod ends;
Verify the rack is properly tied down in its "U" clamps;
Then get an alignment.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
... when moving the wheel to the right and left with the engine off (key in ACC mode), the steering effort is the same.
I would say that your steering rack is worn (on one side)
Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I've played with caster settings and their effect on steering weight/feel is basically undetectable. Sounds like a strange rack problem. Jack up the front end, get wheels off the ground, fire it up, and see how the steering feels then.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:35 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Churchill
I've played with caster settings and their effect on steering weight/feel is basically undetectable. Sounds like a strange rack problem. Jack up the front end, get wheels off the ground, fire it up, and see how the steering feels then.
What should I expect to see/feel, when I jack up the wheels, if it's the rack?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:30 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
What should I expect to see/feel, when I jack up the wheels, if it's the rack?
It should be smooth and easy in both directions from lock to lock. With wheels off the ground, it removes all alignment/suspension effects, etc. if there is a difference from left to right, you have an issue with the steering rack.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:35 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

nothing to ad other than this thread title reminds me of zoolander

and now back to our regularly scheduled program....
Old 02-20-2019, 06:47 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95_993
It should be smooth and easy in both directions from lock to lock. With wheels off the ground, it removes all alignment/suspension effects, etc. if there is a difference from left to right, you have an issue with the steering rack.
I jacked up the front of the car and the steering wheel cycles left and right perfectly smooth with one finger. Couldn't really see much difference. Maybe a *touch* stiffer on the L, but still movable with one finger.

So I guess that rules out power steering and steering rack as the issue....
Old 02-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Exactly. Another way of putting it is, with the front wheels off the ground you isolate the rack and PS system from other variables, like road conditions, tires, alignment, speed, etc. Turn the wheel and if you feel anything but buttery smooth and almost effortless steering in both directions you'll know you've got a rack problem.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:12 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Churchill
Exactly. Another way of putting it is, with the front wheels off the ground you isolate the rack and PS system from other variables, like road conditions, tires, alignment, speed, etc. Turn the wheel and if you feel anything but buttery smooth and almost effortless steering in both directions you'll know you've got a rack problem.
It was definitely buttery smooth. 80s Cadillac smooth.

Quick Reply: Steering issue - Hard to Turn Left