Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Steering issue - Hard to Turn Left

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:59 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I had a very similar issue with a 964 rack. Turning to the left initially would have no power assist, then it would suddenly turn normally. Turning to the right was perfectly fine always. With a jack taking weight off the front wheels, the steering was smooth in both directions. This was right after a rack rebuild and got worse over a short span of putting up with the weirdness. Eventually turning left had no power assist at all.

I ended up replacing only the rack and the issue went away. While replacing the rack nothing was disturbed other than removing the tie rods and screwing them in to the replacement rack, no alignment changes or any other hardware changes. I sent the rack back to the rebuild shop and they said that it checked out fine. I have no idea what the rack issue was, but it was absolutely the culprit. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2019, 02:31 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
I had a very similar issue with a 964 rack. Turning to the left initially would have no power assist, then it would suddenly turn normally. Turning to the right was perfectly fine always. With a jack taking weight off the front wheels, the steering was smooth in both directions. This was right after a rack rebuild and got worse over a short span of putting up with the weirdness. Eventually turning left had no power assist at all.

I ended up replacing only the rack and the issue went away. While replacing the rack nothing was disturbed other than removing the tie rods and screwing them in to the replacement rack, no alignment changes or any other hardware changes. I sent the rack back to the rebuild shop and they said that it checked out fine. I have no idea what the rack issue was, but it was absolutely the culprit. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing that - it's odd isn't it. Glad it worked out for you.

Funny thing is, the car actually drives great. It's really when I'm parking and using full lock that I'm seeing weirdness. The faster I go, the better the car feels.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:43 AM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

So the problem only shows up when you need power assist and the system is loaded. I would say it's in the rack and guess that one of the several seals has let go such that the rack can develop pressure in one direction and not the other
I can't think of any other component that could produce the single failure condition you describe
Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick

Interesting, I noticed that some 946 racks have a different cast housing than a 993. Could there have bee a design update to address this issue?
Andy
Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IainM
So the problem only shows up when you need power assist and the system is loaded. I would say it's in the rack and guess that one of the several seals has let go such that the rack can develop pressure in one direction and not the other
I can't think of any other component that could produce the single failure condition you describe
That does makes sense, since the steering seems balanced and the car feels nimble when driving at speed down the road. It's only in awkward, slow speed situations, where I know the assist is maximally loaded, that the problem seems to pop up.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:18 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Yes, yes, the media constantly turns to the Left, maybe they have worn the idea out?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:24 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Given the common failure mode of the steering rack, if you're considering keeping and enjoying the car, I would say you have the trigger for a front end rebuild
rack, control arms, tie rods, sway bar links and if not already replaced, shocks and bearings.
then get a good alignment and enjoy the car as intended
i don't know of any test procedure to isolate the rack as the failure component
i did the same a few years back and the difference was incredible
Old 02-22-2019, 06:43 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IainM
Given the common failure mode of the steering rack, if you're considering keeping and enjoying the car, I would say you have the trigger for a front end rebuild
rack, control arms, tie rods, sway bar links and if not already replaced, shocks and bearings.
then get a good alignment and enjoy the car as intended
i don't know of any test procedure to isolate the rack as the failure component
i did the same a few years back and the difference was incredible
Great thought. This car is a keeper. Despite this issue I love the thing. Control arms and tie rods have been done but shocks are not a bad idea.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:06 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Updating the thread in case someone looks this up in the future:

Installed new shocks and springs (thanks Gert) and had a replacement steering rack installed. The steering issue is now resolved. 90's era hydraulic steering, like I remember.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:14 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Updating the thread in case someone looks this up in the future:

Installed new shocks and springs (thanks Gert) and had a replacement steering rack installed. The steering issue is now resolved. 90's era hydraulic steering, like I remember.
Thanks for the update. I’m trying to self diagnose the same type of issue in my 964 c4. The tip about raising the front up to release some load is helpful! Cheers!
Old 04-09-2019, 05:29 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Thanks for the update. I’m trying to self diagnose the same type of issue in my 964 c4. The tip about raising the front up to release some load is helpful! Cheers!
No problem.

That said, in my case, it didn't help narrow things down. My steering was nice and easy off the ground. It was only when loaded that the steering rack was not working correctly.

Quick Reply: Steering issue - Hard to Turn Left