Removing cats - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Removing cats - help needed

Hey guys,

I’m in the process of removing my cats and some other exhaust components to make room to do valve cover gaskets, plugs and plug wires. I’ve been able to get every rusted bolt free... except for one. It’s not that I can’t get it free, but it’s not backing out. So I’m not sure if something snapped or what. If you look at the picture, the bolt turns freely, but so does the female portion of the bracket/attachment point. Any idea how I can get this last bolt removed?

Appreciate any help.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:38 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Easy one. Vicegrips on the free spinning female part.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:05 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Or drill it out or grind the head off if you can't get vice grips in there
Old 02-17-2019, 12:04 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

I was finally able to file enough of it down on each side to be able to grab it with some needle nose vice grips. Now I’m wondering if the heat shield stays or comes off when I install the Fabspeed x-pipe with sport cats
Old 02-17-2019, 12:06 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

If vise grips don’t fit, jam something like a large screwdriver in the gap to prevent it from spinning which will allow you to back out the bolt.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:07 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
If vise grips don’t fit, jam something like a large screwdriver in the gap to prevent it from spinning which will allow you to back out the bolt.
Without tooting our horns, great minds think alike, Nam!
Old 02-17-2019, 01:29 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
That was actually my first thought too, but it didn't work. It kept spinning past the screwdriver. That's when I tried the vise grips and eventually filed down the sides of the cylindrical nut so that I had something to lock on to.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions. Hoping the rest goes smoothly...
Old 02-17-2019, 10:47 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

The sheet metal nut behind it is spinning, jam a screwdriver next to it so it can't spin and you should be able to remove the bolt.
Seems like a lot of disassembly to just get to the valve covers.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:23 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
The sheet metal nut behind it is spinning, jam a screwdriver next to it so it can't spin and you should be able to remove the bolt.
Seems like a lot of disassembly to just get to the valve covers.
Andy, that’s what I tried to do first, but the square portion of the nut would slip past the screwdriver. I’m glad we all think alike though! As I mentioned, I had to file down two sides of the nut to make it square, which gave me enough to grab with the vise grips. The nut/clip is completely worthless now, so I’m hoping I don’t need it for the install of the Fabspeed parts - which is why I’m removing it in the first place. I’ve got the x-pipe with sport cats and Fabspeed tips to go back on after I tackle the v/c’s, wires, plugs, caps, rotors.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Elfer1

Andy, that’s what I tried to do first, but the square portion of the nut would slip past the screwdriver. I’m glad we all think alike though! As I mentioned, I had to file down two sides of the nut to make it square, which gave me enough to grab with the vise grips. The nut/clip is completely worthless now, so I’m hoping I don’t need it for the install of the Fabspeed parts - which is why I’m removing it in the first place. I’ve got the x-pipe with sport cats and Fabspeed tips to go back on after I tackle the v/c’s, wires, plugs, caps, rotors.
Ok, good luck with the upgrade! If you need to reinstall a fastener in that position I would use one of the all metal prevailing torque nut (lock nuts) and a bolt as a nylon lock nut may not like the heat encountered. They may even be available in stainless steel at a place like Fastenal located in most medium size cities.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Elfer1
I was finally able to file enough of it down on each side to be able to grab it with some needle nose vice grips. Now I’m wondering if the heat shield stays or comes off when I install the Fabspeed x-pipe with sport cats
Fabspeed exhaust does not use heat shield.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kika
Fabspeed exhaust does not use heat shield.
Thanks Kika

Quick Reply: Removing cats - help needed