Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Finished the C2 suspension refresh

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:32 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you take it to the track? I wonder how the KW V3 would perform? Got me thinking about doing something similar in the not too distant future...
Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Do you take it to the track? I wonder how the KW V3 would perform? Got me thinking about doing something similar in the not too distant future...
I haven't tracked it (yet) because the car wasn't in any condition to do so...the old suspension was worn out and the previous owner had lowered the car to the point that it was negatively affecting handling. I might do an HPDE in it sometime in the future, though.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Great looking car...

FWIW, speed runs in the Canyons of LA are hazardous, bus loads of nuns and children to crash into, potential sand and oil on the roads, pot holes to juke around, cliffs and curbs to contend with, trucks to turn left in front of you, grandmas in cars that can shoot out of side streets, Grandma can't compute your triple digit speed closing rates, notwithstanding the possibility for a reckless driving ticket.

A safer experience is to be found at the track. Before you take it to the track, cover the front end of the car in EXPEL. Maybe put on some Pagid brake pads and flush the brake system with RF 650 brake fluid. I also had the exterior of the windscreen covered in clear EXPEL. Replacement windscreens are about $1,000...save them if you can for as long as possible. Throw on a set of Nitto NT-01 tires (I ran Hoosier 255 fronts and 295 rears), and take it to the track, specifically consider Buttonwillow, do an up coming event with the Porsche Owners Club. The event is March 9 and 10. If you are a track Newby, run the Performance Driving Series, only need a helmet for safety gear.

Buttonwillow is a very technical track with a high speed sweeper...and lots of run off should you have the urge to drive off road. April 13/14 with NASA would be another great opportunity.

I will be doing both of these events with my 2004 GT3...I retired my 993 August of 2017.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:24 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree with you Martin, I'm very much a supporter of the "take it to the track" mantra. I have several cars and track them, too. Just haven't had a chance to do it yet with my 993...she just had not been ready for it yet.

Here's one of the other cars I've tracked thus far....
Attachment 1344343
Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
Finally got the suspension updates done on my '96 C2. Been saving up parts for a while now, so it's great to finally get all these things done to the car:

-BBi RS uprights
-Full monoball suspension bushings
-Tarret/Rennline arms
-Solid subframe mounts
-KW V3 coilovers
-Rennline top mounts, camber plates, bushings, etc.
-SS brake lines
-Painted calipers to match the car
-Rebuilt the steering rack
-RS sways & end links
-SS clutch bleed line run into the engine bay
-RS heater bypass tube
-Removed rear window wiper properly (new glass, removed all wiper bits, recovered parcel shelf)
-New tires
-Alignment & corner balance
-Some PDR ding removal

Many thanks to the folks at BBi Autosport for their professional services in getting the car dialed in. Car feels good, went from crappy handling with lots of bump steer to crisp handling with excellent turn-in response. Here are some pics:

wow! just wow! #goals
Old 02-15-2019, 08:19 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
i run them. Work fine at the track. Buttonwillow , autoclub , willow springs. Non issue and only suspension mod I have

Quick Reply: Finished the C2 suspension refresh