993 Forum 1995-1998

Insurance question: Hagerty won’t cover my 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Insurance question: Hagerty won’t cover my 993

I decided it was time to get a policy with agreed value. I’m in NY and I was getting quotes from Hagerty for my two 993s. My 98’ they will cover as it’s only driven on the street the other my 96’ they won’t cover because I attend HPDE events with the PCA and SCCA 2-4 times per year they also say that autocross falls under the same issue apparently. They did say that they can make an exclusion of collision and cover the car only for comprehensive and liability. If they did that I’d be uncovered on the road at all times for collision. I said doesn’t auto insurance usually exclude track events and I would get in track insurance to cover those events? They said no not in NY. So now I’m looking for other carriers any recommendations or anyone run into this issue?
Old 02-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Chubb
Old 02-08-2019, 04:49 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't mention HPDE or any other off-road uses of the car - their policy doesn't cover that, so they don't need to know. (even though it helps them with the road driving since it makes you a better everyday driver!)

Don't show all your cards if you want to win

phil.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by element
I wouldn't mention HPDE or any other off-road uses of the car - their policy doesn't cover that, so they don't need to know. (even though it helps them with the road driving since it makes you a better everyday driver!)

phil.
Isn't that called Insurance Fraud
Old 02-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Yea, I always err on the side of disclosure but your clearly right. They had said they would cover it no problem when I called for a quote. then I guess underwriting squashed that. I've heard of them not covering actual racing/timed events but HPDE?

phil.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gbos1
I'm sure many many ppl do just that but it is most likely what you called it...
Old 02-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

do they specifically ask if you use it for DE's? what about parade laps? what if you said you don;t plan to and plans change? I doubt it is insurance fraud unless you intentionally lie. Insurance cos act like such babies...and always put up huge profits.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:50 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Call Heacock. Great to deal with and real humans in the office. Dumped Hagerty years ago after their 5% increase every year. Heacock invoice hasn’t changed now for four years.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:05 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Brig993
I decided it was time to get a policy with agreed value. I’m in NY and I was getting quotes from Hagerty for my two 993s. My 98’ they will cover as it’s only driven on the street the other my 96’ they won’t cover because I attend HPDE events with the PCA and SCCA 2-4 times per year they also say that autocross falls under the same issue apparently. They did say that they can make an exclusion of collision and cover the car only for comprehensive and liability. If they did that I’d be uncovered on the road at all times for collision. I said doesn’t auto insurance usually exclude track events and I would get in track insurance to cover those events? They said no not in NY. So now I’m looking for other carriers any recommendations or anyone run into this issue?
LOL

I get my agreed value with Hagerty. And a member of Hagerty's Drivers Club (comes with the policy). They sent me an invite to a track day at Thunderhill Raceway (CA) in a few weeks! Now I'm worried it could be a trap!

dave
95 911
03 540i6
84 380SL
Old 02-08-2019, 06:42 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

word of advice - always be transparent with the insurance company. you want to know if you arent going to be covered for something at the time of application -- it is much worse to have a loss and then find out you have no coverage - not pleasant! plus, a company can decline to cover a loss if they find if there was material misrepresentation at the time of your application. ugly experiences that happen more frequently than most realize.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:13 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_540
LOL

I get my agreed value with Hagerty. And a member of Hagerty's Drivers Club (comes with the policy). They sent me an invite to a track day at Thunderhill Raceway (CA) in a few weeks! Now I'm worried it could be a trap!

dave
95 911
03 540i6
84 380SL
I contacted Hagerty, they said I am not covered during the event, and recommended Track Insurance through RLI (their partner) Running some quick numbers, insurance for the event = $368. Note this is damage only up to $18K, not liability. Seems a bit steep, especially considering limit.

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Track-Day-Insurance

dave
95 911
03 540i6
84 380SL

Old 02-08-2019, 08:17 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Yes, all those poor insurance companies going BK.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:46 PM
dannycf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried Grundy's?
Old 02-08-2019, 10:14 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

phil.
You must disclose all material facts relating to your application for insurance. Failure to disclose a material fact in your application will result in your insurer declining an unrelated claim.
Criminal fraud statutes may also be filed. Insurers work very closely withStates Attorney Generals.
When you work with your insurer they are generally friendly. When you work with claims, you are working with an entirely different group, all of whom are paid to save the insurer money.
You may have a stipulated value. As an example, you may be parked in a secure parking lot. Someone forcibly enters your car, and damages your car, or worse, causing personal injury or death. Your insurer will 1) decline coverage, to you and the claimnant 2) fail to defend you, 3) report the fraud to the State Attorney General for prosecution. You will be responsible for the civil damages caused to your car as well as others, personal injury, criminal and civil defense costs.
I know others may respond "they will never know" they have ways.
Be honest, direct and disclose all information. Failure to do otherwise will cause further complications.
Try to find an insurer that will accept you under your true use of your car.
Please don't be offended.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:03 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Chubb
^^ that was going to be my exact response. Definitely check out Chubb. Agreed value and unlimited mileage.

Quick Reply: Insurance question: Hagerty won’t cover my 993