Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need part number for reverse light connector (not switch)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 PM
NLScooby
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need part number for reverse light connector (not switch)

Hello,
When I purchased my car it didn't have reverse lights and it seems the connector (on the car side) behind the center lens was cut off. I have a new center lens that came with a round 3 wire connector. See photos (source: Pelican). I can't seem to find this connector (circled in red).....or should I just clip the lens side and source a new 3 wire connector (set)? In that case, can someone tell me which wires would get connected to eachother from the vehicle side to the lens side (if you ignored the connector)?
Thank you in advance!

Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe the part number is a VW/Audi part number, 813-971-987. But that would just be the plastic housing, you would need the terminal pins to go with it to fix your wiring. You might be able to get someone at a VW/Audi dealership to look up an appropriate terminal part number for that housing. I believe that VW sells short lengths of wire with terminals crimped on both ends for repairing wiring harnesses. An easier and probably cheaper alternative is to try and find a junk yard with Audi's from the late 80's through the 90's and scavenge the housing along with a short section of the wiring harness.

GC
Old 02-06-2019, 09:46 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Color code, I believe, works like this on the above drawing clip BK/BL = Black wire with Blue stripe.
BR = Brown wire Most Brown wires throughout our cars lead to the ground at some point.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I bet the wires have the same colour on both sides of the connector?
Old 02-07-2019, 01:47 PM
NLScooby
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the responses! I'll check that part number and any local scrap yards as well.

I appreciate the wiring diagram!

Unfortunately from the photo above, the wires appear to be different colors going into and existing the connector....
Old 02-07-2019, 03:34 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Instead of going to all the trouble to find a 20-year-old connector I would go to an auto parts store and find a generic aftermarket connector with as many pins as needed and graft it to the existing harness. Not sure how important it is that the plug be exactly the same as most any pigtail plug and socket will do. How often do you unplug it anyway? I have only really seen the plug a few times when replacing a bumper cover.
Andy
Old 02-08-2019, 10:05 AM
NLScooby
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Instead of going to all the trouble to find a 20-year-old connector I would go to an auto parts store and find a generic aftermarket connector with as many pins as needed and graft it to the existing harness. Not sure how important it is that the plug be exactly the same as most any pigtail plug and socket will do. How often do you unplug it anyway? I have only really seen the plug a few times when replacing a bumper cover.
Andy
Andy,
Yeah - that was one of the scenarios I floated by in my first post.....Just clip the 1/2 of the connector on the lens side and source a new waterproof connector with the proper number of pins....

Here's another interesting thing....
If I remove the tail lights - I have three connectors coming from the vehicle for both left and right side tail lights....and only two light bulbs in each tail light. Could that third connector be for the reverse lights in the center lens (or fogs?) Did the harnesses change from 95 to other years? I'll plug a bulb into that connector this weekend and find out..... Don't know why I didn't think of that before....
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NLScooby
If I remove the tail lights - I have three connectors coming from the vehicle for both left and right side tail lights....and only two light bulbs in each tail light. Could that third connector be for the reverse lights in the center lens (or fogs?) Did the harnesses change from 95 to other years? I'll plug a bulb into that connector this weekend and find out..... Don't know why I didn't think of that before....
Hope this provides some insights:
Andy

Old 02-11-2019, 11:59 AM
NLScooby
Rennlist Member

Andy,
This is great - I appreciate it. So I think what I am seeing is the unused side marker light connector. My car came with the amber colored Eurospec tail lights which don't appear to have the side markers.
Mystery solved!

Quick Reply: Need part number for reverse light connector (not switch)