Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Car dies when I take my foot of the clutch - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Alfa40
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Experiencing a similar issue right now, the car also sat for 3 days or so and 2 weeks ago I changed the ground strap to the battery. I am almost sure these facts aren't related, but since you mentioned removing something from the battery, I though I'd mention it.

I was experiencing an issue where the radio would lose power intermittently, as described in this thread. I changed my DME relay, made sure my wiring harness recall was performed and cleaned and eventually replaced the battery's ground strap. The last action appeared like the solution as my radio has not been acting up since. Two weeks later and the whole car dies when "pressing" the clutch (twice on a 30 minute run through the city).

Note that I suspect moisture as the culprit, we had some intense rain here.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That is the 1st year of the clutch interlock.

You should Google and download the electrical schematics to see what is involved with the interlock.
My 96' doesn't have the interlock if you mean the clutch peddle needs to be held down for the starter to engage.
I would think a faulty interlock would influence starting, not running though.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
My 96' doesn't have the interlock if you mean the clutch peddle needs to be held down for the starter to engage.
Neither would a DME or anything else at that particular time when the clutch is released.

I still suspect an aftermarket anti-theft system.

I just checked my schematics to see what that clutch pedal switch is connected to. Not a logic relay or anything else other than cruise control.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
ROW 993s does not have this odd feature!
Old 03-27-2019, 10:13 AM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar issue happened to me this morning. Changed out the interstate battery last night. Tried to use trickle charger to not lose the idle stabilization algorithm. While the radio reset, it seemed the car was idling fine. Drove start/stop for 10 minutes to interstate. 25 minutes on interstate. No issues even with getting off interstate. Wasn't until pulling into parking lot that it decided to stall every time the clutch was depressed. Coasted into a parking spot and checked with an awesome mechanic in Dayton area (Yuri), who said its the idle optimization algorithm. His recommendation is to start the car, let it idle for a few minutes. Shut it off. Rinse, repeat until the idle revs high then settles back down close to 1K. Should be good to go after that. Will do this later and report back. These cars are tempermental. Kinda like an Italian woman??? Definitely not teutonic from that stand point.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I used to get this after the LWF install. Isv cleaned no different but since I convered to Vram it hasn't stalled. I used a '96 RoW Vram ecu. Idle was very lumpy on first start up but after 3mins 20seconds of idle it all settled down.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:53 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will it idle in neutral with the clutch pedal up or is it stalling in gear when the engine starts to see a load?
If the latter, that sounds a lot llike mine did with a bad (and wet) cap and rotor for whatever that's worth. Weak spark or something.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:13 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

Again in all these cases if its stalling after you disconnected the battery, did you let the car idle for 10 minutes when you reconnected the battery to let the car relearn idle. If not, then worth trying.

Quick Reply: Car dies when I take my foot of the clutch - Help!