Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspension question - don’t flame me!

Old 01-31-2019, 01:03 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Suspension question - don’t flame me!

Alright, please don’t flame me as I know there are a lot of threads surrounding suspension setup choices, etc., but I wasn’t able to make a decision based on what I could find.

So, here’s where I need some help; I placed an order for some pss10’s but they’re, of course, on backorder until who knows when. The vendor contacted me today and offered me a set of KW V3’s for about $300 more. It’s my understanding that the KW’s will not allow me to lower the car as much as the pss10’s (KW front lowering 20-40 mm and 10-30 mm rear — Bilstein 30-50 mm front and rear) - my goal is RS height. I’m not in any hurry to get these as I don’t plan on doing the install until next winter (I need to piece together all of the other components over time). So will I be able to achieve RS height with the KW’s? And if so, do I go with the KW’s or wait for the pss10’s?
Old 01-31-2019, 01:29 AM
DutchNy
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Elfer1
Alright, please don’t flame me as I know there are a lot of threads surrounding suspension setup choices, etc., but I wasn’t able to make a decision based on what I could find.

So, here’s where I need some help; I placed an order for some pss10’s but they’re, of course, on backorder until who knows when. The vendor contacted me today and offered me a set of KW V3’s for about $300 more. It’s my understanding that the KW’s will not allow me to lower the car as much as the pss10’s (KW front lowering 20-40 mm and 10-30 mm rear — Bilstein 30-50 mm front and rear) - my goal is RS height. I’m not in any hurry to get these as I don’t plan on doing the install until next winter (I need to piece together all of the other components over time). So will I be able to achieve RS height with the KW’s? And if so, do I go with the KW’s or wait for the pss10’s?

lowering can be done with the v3’s. I have them on mine. Rs uprights are a must with the tie rods.
check out my suspension thread

Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DutchNy

lowering can be done with the v3’s. I have them on mine. Rs uprights are a must with the tie rods.

nice stance @DutchNy need to get my wheels refinished!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DutchNy

Thanks DutchNY, I’ve been following your recent thread. It sounds like you were also planning on the pss10’s as well but decided against them due to the backorder? I assume the pss10’s were your first choice? If so, curious why they were your first choice?

As for the RS uprights, I was planning on the Elephant Racing bump steer correcting kit. Is this not a good way to go? The car is going to be 99% street driven.

And one last question: With your car the way it sits right now, are you at the max lowering height possible with your KW’s? Are you still within the range of what KW recommends?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:14 AM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm incredibly frustrated with the pss10 backorder. I'm a little different in that I don't want to lower my car. I like not having to worry at all about driveway aprons, speed bumps, etc, and I don't like the look of RS height. However, since I'm going to go through the time and expense of a new suspension, I want to have the flexibility to lower if I start taking my car to the track or in general change my mind. From reading nearly all of the suspension threads here, it seems like pss10s are the new standard for 993s, I also like the fact that they come in a kit, and I can just order the kit instead of keeping track that "these springs go with those struts and make sure to get these other bits too".

At the risk of hijacking the thread - apologies to Elfer1 - what are other options for adjustable suspension kits that allow for US standard ride height, or close to it? Failing that, what's the best kit for non-adjustable kits?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

At RS ride height, bump steer is unbearable so you'll definitely need the RS wheel carriers (and tie rods too I think). Personally, I don't think RS ride height makes sense for a street car due to the risk of bottoming out and the cost of $2,500 for the wheel carriers and tie rods. If you can just go up 10-15mm from RS, you won't need the parts and you won't get bump steer, yet still be nice and low, in fact lower than ROW Sport height. Just my 2c.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:44 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
At RS ride height, bump steer is unbearable so you'll definitely need the RS wheel carriers (and tie rods too I think). Personally, I don't think RS ride height makes sense for a street car due to the risk of bottoming out and the cost of $2,500 for the wheel carriers and tie rods. If you can just go up 10-15mm from RS, you won't need the parts and you won't get bump steer, yet still be nice and low, in fact lower than ROW Sport height. Just my 2c.
RS+10 is where I ended up, and have been very happy with it in a street car. I experimented with lower but it seemed to add harshness without much of a performance improvement in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:50 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Points well taken. My original thought was that I would drop the car to RS +10 height; but in looking at some pics that I could find on RL, I just don’t know if I can accept the tire/fender gap. To me, these cars looks best without that gap and I don’t think I’ll be happy with RS +10. I suppose I could start there and drop it if I need to - I know pictures can be deceiving.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:15 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Mpls
I'm incredibly frustrated with the pss10 backorder. I'm a little different in that I don't want to lower my car. I like not having to worry at all about driveway aprons, speed bumps, etc, and I don't like the look of RS height. However, since I'm going to go through the time and expense of a new suspension, I want to have the flexibility to lower if I start taking my car to the track or in general change my mind. From reading nearly all of the suspension threads here, it seems like pss10s are the new standard for 993s, I also like the fact that they come in a kit, and I can just order the kit instead of keeping track that "these springs go with those struts and make sure to get these other bits too".

At the risk of hijacking the thread - apologies to Elfer1 - what are other options for adjustable suspension kits that allow for US standard ride height, or close to it? Failing that, what's the best kit for non-adjustable kits?
No worries, I appreciate the discussion.

I agree, it seems like the pss10’s are the go-to for RL, but I don’t know if that’s because they’re truly a better setup (all things considered) or if it’s a case of folks like myself purchasing them simply because of others who have been happy with their purchase. That’s why I’m hoping to get some better insight into the true advantages/disadvantages of the pss10’s vs. KW V3’s. From what I can gather, the pss10’s are attractive due to the following:

-about $300-$400 less than KW V3
​​​​​​-more “simple” setup in terms of only having one **** for compression and rebound damping
-greater range of height adjustability (30-50mm front and rear VS. 20-40mm front and 10-30mm rear for KW)

And the pros for the KW V3:

-greater adjustability with separate ***** for compression and rebound
-resistant to corrosion
​​​​​​-splitting the brake line not necessary during install
-fixed lower rear spring perch (so no chance of twisting with the ARB ?)
-subjectively more comfortable ride (but I’ve also read some say the same about the pss10’s, to be fair)

Last edited by Elfer1; 01-31-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:16 AM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

RS+10 is where I ended up, and have been very happy with it in a street car. I experimented with lower but it seemed to add harshness without much of a performance improvement in my opinion.
Would you mind posting some pics of your stance?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM
DutchNy
Racer

Elfer, I wanted the PS10's because the 1 point adjustment vs 2 place adjustment on V3's, now that I have them its not really a bigdeal to adjust.
I have rs uprights and Tarret tie rods w Bump steers, and inner tie rods. I am at 70% of the lowest height possible per KW. The V3's came set up as a kit w springs and all.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:48 AM
DutchNy
Racer

Originally Posted by 993Mpls

You can adjust V3's to US Spec Height. And they do come in a kit.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:28 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Points well taken. My original thought was that I would drop the car to RS +10 height; but in looking at some pics that I could find on RL, I just don’t know if I can accept the tire/fender gap. To me, these cars looks best without that gap and I don’t think I’ll be happy with RS +10. I suppose I could start there and drop it if I need to - I know pictures can be deceiving.

Dont rely on pics to determine what ride height ya want. Get with people that have close to what you’re thinking of, and sit in, and look and see if it’s what ya can live with. Also, there’s no polar moment, where bump steer is induced. ANY changes in suspension geometry/adjustment will induce an effect. When they’re small changes, they may not be noticed. If you put RS wheel carriers on a US stock height car, you would induce bump steer. Keep the tie rods as parallel to the ground as possible, to reduce bump steers input on car.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:50 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

This car was RS +10 when I owned it.
Unbearable, I agree........................

The current owner has since lowered it.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:03 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

^^Not sure if serious. IMHO that ride height looks perfect. Cant imagine how anyone could find a flaw with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension question - don’t flame me!