993 Forum 1995-1998

Identify those wire harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Identify those wire harnesses

So under the glove box, there are two wire harnesses not connected that I am not sure what they are.
1) 10 pin harness

10 pin wire colors:

2) 5 pin harness

Where it comes from:

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:40 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

The first picture is the spoiler control harness. It plugs into the spoiler control model (ecu) which is also in the picture.

My guess is the second goes to the manual rocker switch for the spoiler. Pull the lower switch bank forward of the shifter and check the switches to see if it is unplugged.

Also if the wires on the 5 pin are the same colors as some of the wires on the 10 pin that would be another clue.

Someone likely disabled them because there is a malfunction of the spoiler mechanism. Likely a frozen bearing in either the spoiler motor or spoiler transmission or both.

I recently recommissioned my spoiler function after frozen bearings in both mechanisms as well as tampering with the wiring harness.

Happy to help if you're inclined.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:17 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Thanks bad, that makes sense. I replaced the spoiler many years ago with a turbo tail. I remember disconnecting the harness in the engine bay, just don't remember disconnecting those. Guess that's what happens when you get older ;-)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:23 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

I believe the second plug is for the right hand mixing flap , may have come undone when the other plug was disconnected it should be near the passenger footwell corner ..
Old 01-29-2019, 09:37 AM
NLScooby
Rennlist Member

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread - I have the same disconnected harness on a car I picked up. One guy at the Porsche shop that did some interior work for me thought it was for the factory Amplifier....but the conviction in your guys' responses sound pretty darn believable. But since I don't have retractable spoiler nor stereo - I won't worry about it!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Originally Posted by budge96
I believe the second plug is for the right hand mixing flap , may have come undone when the other plug was disconnected it should be near the passenger footwell corner ..
That's the reason why I was down there to begin with. No heat out of the right side. Guess I'll have to figure out where that one connects.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:35 AM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Originally Posted by NLScooby
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread - I have the same disconnected harness on a car I picked up. One guy at the Porsche shop that did some interior work for me thought it was for the factory Amplifier....but the conviction in your guys' responses sound pretty darn believable. But since I don't have retractable spoiler nor stereo - I won't worry about it!
That's was my first thought as well.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:15 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Now that you know what they are, maybe tagging them with a label is in order for future reference?.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:55 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

This is indeed the Spoiler Control Unit and the connector to the ventilation mixer flap servo motor.
Cheers,
Tore

Quick Reply: Identify those wire harnesses