Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone else having this problem w/ Morimoto projectors?

Old 01-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I've basically given up. I tried several tweaks to how the projectors mount, but they're not designed to be adjustable and they really are not adjustable. To give you a sense of the problem, these pics are taken off my garage wall with the car backed up only 9 feet.

Low beam:

High beam:

I used tape to indicate where the lights fall. There's a six inch difference between the low beam cutoff line and where the high beam oval falls. On a correctly adjusted light, the oval is supposed to sit on, and slightly overlap, the cutoff line. Again, this is with the car backed up less than 10 feet. This is why out on the road the high beams are up in the trees:

Here's how I tried angling the projector by using washers under the bracket. It worked a little bit, but not nearly enough:
Old 01-30-2019, 04:31 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Now you have me wondering about mine... i have to wait until the spring to see if mine are aimed too high as well.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've used my high beams a few times and I don't recall this issue.
I just remember thinking to myself... WOW these really work great.

Now I'm wondering if I have your issue and just didn't notice.... I will have to revisit this when spring hits.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:03 PM
GwynnieMae
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I've basically given up. I tried several tweaks to how the projectors mount, but they're not designed to be adjustable and they really are not adjustable. To give you a sense of the problem, these pics are taken off my garage wall with the car backed up only 9 feet.

Low beam:

High beam:

I used tape to indicate where the lights fall. There's a six inch difference between the low beam cutoff line and where the high beam oval falls. On a correctly adjusted light, the oval is supposed to sit on, and slightly overlap, the cutoff line. Again, this is with the car backed up less than 10 feet. This is why out on the road the high beams are up in the trees:

Here's how I tried angling the projector by using washers under the bracket. It worked a little bit, but not nearly enough:
Your left and right headlights are offset vertically. It’s obvious in the high beam pic. It seems that when you aimed your low beams, you lined up the top cutoff from the left headlight to the bottom cutoff of the right headlight. In simpler terms, left is too low, right is too high.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:15 PM
GwynnieMae
Instructor

This cutoff needs to be here
Old 01-30-2019, 06:40 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

The relevant point here is the parallelity of high and low, not the height of the low.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:05 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

===

Last edited by AX993; 02-01-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:50 PM
GwynnieMae
Instructor

I think I understand what you’re trying to do. You’re trying to adjust the morimoto projector to the factory high beams. That’s pretty much a lost cause. There’s no real benefit to doing that given that the morimoto projector will drown out most of the light from the factory high beam.

I don’t think you understood what I was trying to tell you in my previous posts. Your headlights are not aligned to each other. Or at least it appears that way from your pictures. Ditch the washers, install the morimoto as they recommend. Then either lower your right headlight or raise your left. Get the headlights to look like the picture I’ve included. What I see in your pictures is the same as the one named “incorrect”.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:57 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

I appreciate it -- but trust me, I am fully versed on adjusting the low beams. I was doing something very different here, which is attempt to create a small amount of adjustability in the projector mount so that both high and low beams are aimed correctly, instead of just one or the other. As I said in an earlier post, right now if the lows are aimed correctly, the highs are way too high. And vice versa.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 PM
AX993
Pro

===

Last edited by AX993; 02-01-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:16 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
Now you have me wondering about mine... i have to wait until the spring to see if mine are aimed too high as well.
Damn. Now me too.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:12 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the bulb is in the projector crooked or the bulb is “bent” relative to the bowl. Basically the hot spot in the bulb is not in the focal point of the reflector. There is also a much better bulb holder available for the h1 mini projector. Might want to check it out.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:11 PM
AX993
Pro

Originally Posted by 951North
Looks like the bulb is in the projector crooked or the bulb is “bent” relative to the bowl. Basically the hot spot in the bulb is not in the focal point of the reflector. There is also a much better bulb holder available for the h1 mini projector. Might want to check it out.
Could you post a link to the better bulb holder you mentioned ? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 951North
Are you talking about the highs or lows?
Old 04-14-2019, 01:06 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I appreciate it -- but trust me, I am fully versed on adjusting the low beams. I was doing something very different here, which is attempt to create a small amount of adjustability in the projector mount so that both high and low beams are aimed correctly, instead of just one or the other. As I said in an earlier post, right now if the lows are aimed correctly, the highs are way too high. And vice versa.
@Churchill have you "reset" the light housing alignment ***** to neutral values using the factory level gauges so you get the high beams to where you want them to be? From my understanding the high beam is mounted directly into the housing so if you want the high beam to be correctly positioned that will be done through the left right/up down alignment ***** allen key adjusters on the housing. Once you have the high beams in spec then start using your shims/washers to get the morimotos back to alignment since those are mounted via a bracket that can deflect. The morimotos are great as they have a sharp cutoff line so before you do any work slap some tape on the wall as reference point so the alignment of the morimotos becomes easier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else having this problem w/ Morimoto projectors?