Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 paint meter & value

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 04:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

It isn't up to the shop sometimes customers don't want panels touched if they look good enough. It is always a little bit more tricky since the paint will need to be a perfect match. Although the numbers could be a respray 7.0 seems odd so that was clearly blended or possibly the roof had been buffed out after reducing it from 7 to 4. It could have been thin paint or needed sanding down before the paint was applied and these are the numbers they ended up with. I would need to see the car to know for sure although the rest of the car is clearly painted.

If it is a nice quality job windows out and everything else is good you can try to offer less although I have seen similar cars sell for as much +/-.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I pulled out a paint meter and stuck it on my car (which has a repaint) and my numbers were very similar to yours. 4ish on the roof, 8-15 elsewhere, except for one fender that has had some damage in the past where it goes as high as 30.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:04 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you find the right shop, that uses he right paint, the right prep, brings it the metal, paints the right thickness, they remove everything, no tape, they don't smoke the fenders, hood & trunk and leave it factory. The respray costs around 15k+ and is factory in every way....no one can tell, no one asks. Not many 911 owners will spend that much but in the long run its cheap.

Its not "IF" a respray hurts the value, the question is a poor quality respray "WILL" hurt the value, maybe ok to your eye but you want it to be as good so a professional can't tell, that's the kind of repaint you want. Maybe 1 out of 30 shops can do that level of work.

I had two 911's repainted and a dealer PPI them for my sake and they could not tell the cars were freshened up. At the time I had an awesome shop that spared no expense and they did every car like that. He retired and since closed, I lost a great shop and now if I need any work done no one I know can do cars like he did. So if I bought another 911 I would have to find a perfect one, respray or not.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:09 PM
Das14444
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockit
If you find the right shop, that uses he right paint, the right prep, brings it the metal, paints the right thickness, they remove everything, no tape, they don't smoke the fenders, hood & trunk and leave it factory. The respray costs around 15k+ and is factory in every way....no one can tell, no one asks. Not many 911 owners will spend that much but in the long run its cheap.

Its not "IF" a respray hurts the value, the question is a poor quality respray "WILL" hurt the value, maybe ok to your eye but you want it to be as good so a professional can't tell, that's the kind of repaint you want. Maybe 1 out of 30 shops can do that level of work.

I had two 911's repainted and a dealer PPI them for my sake and they could not tell the cars were freshened up. At the time I had an awesome shop that spared no expense and they did every car like that. He retired and since closed, I lost a great shop and now if I need any work done no one I know can do cars like he did. So if I bought another 911 I would have to find a perfect one, respray or not.

Even if taken to bare metal a well trained eye could spot a well done respray vs original paint.
If not a paint meter certainly would. A respray will not be as even a finish as factory. Its not going to show perfect uniform readings around the car like a factory finish.

I passed on the car in question that started this thread. Also learned alot in the process. Great owner, nice guy, but clearly a lot
of paint work - and zero explanation behind “why” it was done. Car still pops up for sale now and then.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:14 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Das14444
Even if taken to bare metal a well trained eye could spot a well done respray vs original paint.
If not a paint meter certainly would. A respray will not be as even a finish as factory. Its not going to show perfect uniform readings around the car like a factory finish.

I passed on the car in question that started this thread. Also learned alot in the process. Great owner, nice guy, but clearly a lot
of paint work - and zero explanation behind “why” it was done. Car still pops up for sale now and then.
"Even if taken to bare metal a well trained eye could spot a well done respray vs original paint" I'm sorry this is not so.

When I bought my car it sat outside and the owners used it as a daily driver, the body was perfect however it was 3 different shades of yellow from the sun.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockit
"Even if taken to bare metal a well trained eye could spot a well done respray vs original paint" I'm sorry this is not so.

When I bought my car it sat outside and the owners used it as a daily driver, the body was perfect however it was 3 different shades of yellow from the sun.

I have to disagree. The average eye won't be able to tell but a properly trained eye can. There is always something that gives it away. If you need a shop that did the kind of work you no longer have access to I have a shop for you up in Wyckoff, NJ that will be as impressive if not more so. His work is as good as you will get anyplace and has done many cars for people here and many that end up in magazines like Excellence, although there is always a way to tell if a car has been painted if you spend enough time even from the best names in the business. Although when done to that level it is no longer a concern to me, It is the unknown that scares me and more times than not a respray is covering up undisclosed damage that was fixed using far too much bondo and or looks great from above but is not properly fixed from below.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:19 AM
Das14444
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have to disagree. The average eye won't be able to tell but a properly trained eye can. There is always something that gives it away. If you need a shop that did the kind of work you no longer have access to I have a shop for you up in Wyckoff, NJ that will be as impressive if not more so. His work is as good as you will get anyplace and has done many cars for people here and many that end up in magazines like Excellence, although there is always a way to tell if a car has been painted if you spend enough time even from the best names in the business. Although when done to that level it is no longer a concern to me, It is the unknown that scares me and more times than not a respray is covering up undisclosed damage that was fixed using far too much bondo and or looks great from above but is not properly fixed from below.
100% there is always something to spot a re-spray. Any good paint and body guy will pick it up. 99% will never know, but you will know - and the paint meter will certainly pick it up.
you just cant be as uniform as the factory

Quick Reply: 993 paint meter & value