993 Forum 1995-1998

New Member - Let the hemorrhage from the wallet begin

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 PM
OUAnesthesia
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by s2racer
as an aside....viperbob is over at Vortex Motorsports. Off Waters in Hillsborough. Between Dale Mabry and the Veterans. Couldn't hurt to give them a call. I need to drop by for an oil change. Any idea what oil I should use?
Glad to see someone local. Thats the shop I plan on taking the car to. The only problem with buying modified cars is uncovering everything thats been touched lol. Car needs a good once over before taking it to the track. Probably going to go with the R888 for my tire. Will plan to change the pads as well. Figuring out what seat option Im going to go with. Any ideas on this for a 95% track car? I don't want a halo seat because I will occasional drive this thing on the street and that just sucks to deal with. Been going through a zillion threads and trying to figure out the easiest way to mount a seat. Im thinking ill go with an EVO2 seat with a sparco mount, sparco slider, and brey Krause side mount. Anyone have any experience with this? Those of you who track is there a simple solution for the harness mounting or is it like on my Miata where I had to have rings welded to the floor.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:31 PM
OUAnesthesia
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz

Welcome to the forum, good to see another 993 joining the DE ranks. If you have the time, stop by Sebring for PCA Club Race end on Jan, I’ll be running in the Advanced DE run group, the only 993, cause I like bringing a knife to gun fight

Bill V & Viper Bob know their stuff an VB is still in Tampa area.
I might just do that...what day?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:55 PM
rg0115
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Right on, great looking car and nicely setup. Enjoy in good health.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:56 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by OUAnesthesia
Glad to see someone local. Thats the shop I plan on taking the car to. The only problem with buying modified cars is uncovering everything thats been touched lol. Car needs a good once over before taking it to the track. Probably going to go with the R888 for my tire. Will plan to change the pads as well. Figuring out what seat option Im going to go with. Any ideas on this for a 95% track car? I don't want a halo seat because I will occasional drive this thing on the street and that just sucks to deal with. Been going through a zillion threads and trying to figure out the easiest way to mount a seat. Im thinking ill go with an EVO2 seat with a sparco mount, sparco slider, and brey Krause side mount. Anyone have any experience with this? Those of you who track is there a simple solution for the harness mounting or is it like on my Miata where I had to have rings welded to the floor.
No need to weld anything. I can't remember all of the specific parts I used, but you should be able to get all the right sub strap mounts, etc from various vendors (brey krause, rennline). There was a lot of trail and error. I have the evo2 with sliders and depending on how tall you are headroom is an issue. I am 5'10 and had to rake the seat more than I would like and I still need to pull the bottom cushion when I wear my helmet. My car has a sunroof so without that you should get a little extra room. I would prefer a more upright seating position so I will be ditching the slider and adding a quick release for the steering wheel. Additionally, packaging can get pretty tight if you insist on retaining the factory 3 point belt like I did. When I ditch the slider the factory 3 point female receiver will go as well...
Old 01-14-2019, 04:52 PM
NLScooby
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@OUAnesthesia - you and I are in a similar situation. I picked up a well sorted 993 from a Rennlist member here last summer and had my first PCA DE event at VIR in November. My car used to be a dedicated track car (stripped interior with a single halo style seat) - but I plan to track and street drive it with a passenger at times. I'm a little taller and had a heck of a time getting enough head-room (don't forget the helmet!). I ended up mounting direct to the floor with Sabelt aluminum mounts. I figure I'm really the only one driving the car - so why fiddle with a slider? My harness points were already installed (through body mounts).

Let me know if you'd like me to share any of my recent experience(s) with you.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

You will really want a roll bar to mount the shoulder harness to

the stock belts and harness can share the door side mounts

You need to add pad eyes on the tunnel for the belts

Most of us have used the Rs tunnel side mount for the stock belts, Southside Trimmers in the UK have an elegant solution where the receptacle bolts to the side mount

Main thing I don't like about BK mounts is how difficult it is to work w/ the metal they use, it is very tough stuff

Sub mounts I'd use the GT3s

Old 01-14-2019, 11:38 PM
OUAnesthesia
Instructor

Thanks for the pictures Bill. I like the bar for the submarine belts. Do you use the Recaro slider or an OEM slider?

Edit:
I may go with the Recaro slider, Recaro seat of some sort, Recaro Side mounts, GT3 Submount, and the rennline harness adapters for the door and tunnel straps. Looking like that will be a good option. Will also order the RS OEM part for the stock belt. Car already has roll bar installed so set there for now.

In other news ordered my R888 tires. Going to order the RS uprights and tie rods to get the front suspension correct. Heard back from the prior owner and he's like 99.9% sure its the RS rear caliper but Ill verify when I swap pads. Based on reading will go with a slightly grippier pad in the front as a way to "proportion" the brakes without a valve. After that car should be good for my first DE event...gonna be slow as nuts in the amateur class but should be a good time. Going to be a process growing a pair to drive this one fast.

Last edited by OUAnesthesia; 01-15-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pictures Bill. I like the bar for the submarine belts. Do you use the Recaro slider or an OEM slider?

Edit:
I may go with the Recaro slider, Recaro seat of some sort, Recaro Side mounts, GT3 Submount, and the rennline harness adapters for the door and tunnel straps. Looking like that will be a good option. Will also order the RS OEM part for the stock belt. Car already has roll bar installed so set there for now.

In other news ordered my R888 tires. Going to order the RS uprights and tie rods to get the front suspension correct. Heard back from the prior owner and he's like 99.9% sure its the RS rear caliper but Ill verify when I swap pads. Based on reading will go with a slightly grippier pad in the front as a way to "proportion" the brakes without a valve. After that car should be good for my first DE event...gonna be slow as nuts in the amateur class but should be a good time. Going to be a process growing a pair to drive this one fast.
I used Recaro sliders and sidemounts

be careful w/ Recaro seats, most have small harness holes which limit the height of the shoulder harness, You need a clear unobstructed line from the top of the Hans to the bar attachment point
The sparco seats all seem to have the larger holes

W/ RS calipers all around there is no need for different pads but the car really wants an effective lsd, w/o lsd stickier fronts wouldn't hurt, Pagid 29 are great PFC08 also great w/ better initial bite but harder on rotors. The car already has either 1 or 2 p/v depending on which ABS version is in the car. If the car has M220 option it has lsd and 4 channel abs and ABD, w/o none of the above and 3 channel ABS

Old 01-15-2019, 10:38 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
be careful w/ Recaro seats, most have small harness holes which limit the height of the shoulder harness, You need a clear unobstructed line from the top of the Hans to the bar attachment point
The sparco seats all seem to have the larger holesS
This right here is why I went with Sparco. Recaro's shoulder harness holes sit below my shoulder.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:46 PM
OUAnesthesia
Instructor

I used Recaro sliders and sidemounts

The sparco seats all seem to have the larger holes

W/ RS calipers all around there is no need for different pads but the car really wants an effective lsd, w/o lsd stickier fronts wouldn't hurt, Pagid 29 are great PFC08 also great w/ better initial bite but harder on rotors. The car already has either 1 or 2 p/v depending on which ABS version is in the car. If the car has M220 option it has lsd and 4 channel abs and ABD, w/o none of the above and 3 channel ABS
Car now has a g50/21 box w/o lsd. That will be an uprgrade down the road. What seat are you currently using?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car now has a g50/21 box w/o lsd. That will be an uprgrade down the road. What seat are you currently using?
I'm using Recaro SPG XL, They are a little wider than I prefer but the large harness holes were in the right spot and the price was right, I got a 2 for 1 deal on them.

the /21 is a nice step up from the usual US /20, too bad about the lsd, as that also would have added 4 channel ABS, but a good opportunity to install a Guard 40/60 lsd
Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 PM
OUAnesthesia
Instructor

I'm using Recaro SPG XL, They are a little wider than I prefer but the large harness holes were in the right spot and the price was right, I got a 2 for 1 deal on them.

the /21 is a nice step up from the usual US /20, too bad about the lsd, as that also would have added 4 channel ABS, but a good opportunity to install a Guard 40/60 lsd
any way to tell on the seat other than trial and error. I’m not sure I fully understand the problem you are describing
Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

any way to tell on the seat other than trial and error. I’m not sure I fully understand the problem you are describing
Not my car but this is a 993 w/ Recaro PP seats

The small hole doesn't allow for a taller driver, because his shoulders and Hans rise well above the holes, when wearing the harness the edge of the hole will press down on the belt, ie there isn't a straight fetch from the Hans to the roll bar attachment point

There are some fairly restrictive specs for harnesses, here are a few

This is the plan for the chassis attachment hardpoints
Old 01-16-2019, 10:05 PM
OUAnesthesia
Instructor

Multiple parts on the way...pictures when they arrive. Do sparco seats fit in the recaro side mounts?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 PM
OUAnesthesia
Instructor

So drastic change in plans...hence the silence on my post. I took my car to the shop I planned to have build it and came across this beauty.

Car is a 95 freshly redone top to bottom as an RS tribute. Every bolt has been touched. The owner and I reached a deal and I ended up purchasing this car and parting ways with my silver one. For the price I couldn't justify the time or money on the silver one for less of a build so needless to say Im pretty excited about the purchase. Below is a limited build list. There is plenty more than listed but gives everyone the idea.

Car is fantastic and a blast to drive. Looking forward to getting to know her more.

The old with the new

Hope you all enjoy

Quick Reply: New Member - Let the hemorrhage from the wallet begin