Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   G5021 gearbox vs varioram? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1123619-g5021-gearbox-vs-varioram.html)

Railmaster. 01-12-2019 01:55 AM

G5021 gearbox vs varioram?

Dear fellow rennlisters!

I just read the thread about 95 vs 96 993s and the varioram is a great advantage of the later cars.
But will a car with G5020 gearbox and varioram be more desireable / a "better" car than a G5021 (ROW gearbox except for the last years when replaced by G5020) non varioram car, the theoretical cars in this thread are equal apart from the subject of the thread.

Endoman 01-12-2019 09:02 AM

I suppose it depends on use. The closer ratio gearbox will be of great benefit on track. Whereas the top end power on Vram and non isn't much different. For street use the Vram would be preferable with it's greater low down torque making the G5020 less of a hinderance. Non-vram and G5020 is the worst of both worlds. I have G21 and have retro-fitted Vram and LWF. The car is also approx. 300lbs lighter than std. It's great fun to drive;)

JB 911 01-12-2019 10:43 AM

I have G5020 and Varioram and 2-6 gear its fun to drive. Its just the 1st to 2nd shift that's really lacking imo. So assuming the question is at a 95 owner looking to do only one upgrade, unless you do a lot of city driving in traffic (lots of 1-2 shifts) I'd think the varioram would yield better dividends for overall driving experience. Ideally though I'm sure both must be a blast to drive not to mention the 300lb weight reduction. Endoman, could you share a short list of how you managed the 300lb weight drop?

pp000830 01-12-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by JB 911 (Post 15560417)
could you share a short list of how you managed the 300lb weight drop?

I would be happy to lose a few pounds too 25 would be great 50 would be fantastic, I would simply disappear before I could lose 300.
Andy;)

Endoman 01-12-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JB 911 (Post 15560417)
I have G5020 and Varioram and 2-6 gear its fun to drive. Its just the 1st to 2nd shift that's really lacking imo. So assuming the question is at a 95 owner looking to do only one upgrade, unless you do a lot of city driving in traffic (lots of 1-2 shifts) I'd think the varioram would yield better dividends for overall driving experience. Ideally though I'm sure both must be a blast to drive not to mention the 300lb weight reduction. Endoman, could you share a short list of how you managed the 300lb weight drop?

'94 Coupe curb weight 3.020.lb
993 RS curb weight 2729 lb
Sunroof delete, seats and interior strip accounts for most of it

ilko 01-12-2019 12:45 PM

The shorter ratio gearbox will transform the car under all driving conditions. But properly done it will cost you $10K+ and you'd want to do a proper LSD and possibly clutch & LWFW while in there. That's another several grand.

A Varioram conversion depending on the cost of the parts and labor will run you in the $2.5-4K range.

Losing 300 lbs is easy - remove sunroof, airbags (including lower dash), radio, speakers, wiring, heater blower (and A/C if you dare). Then replace seats w. light weight buckets, RS door cards, remove sound deadening, install light weight carpet and glass. Done.

Edward 01-12-2019 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ilko (Post 15560678)
The shorter ratio gearbox will transform the car under all driving conditions. But properly done it will cost you $10K+ and you'd want to do a proper LSD and possibly clutch & LWFW while in there. That's another several grand.

A Varioram conversion depending on the cost of the parts and labor will run you in the $2.5-4K range.

Losing 300 lbs is easy - remove sunroof, airbags (including lower dash), radio, speakers, wiring, heater blower (and A/C if you dare). Then replace seats w. light weight buckets, RS door cards, remove sound deadening, install light weight carpet and glass. Done.

1. As a DD, my 95 feels great (just hit 170k miles! :D), but no doubt the G21 box would make things feel a bit more lively! But at that cost for "more lively" on the street?...nah :) OTOH, if one were already going into the trans for work anyway, now there'd be the opportunity!

2. Retrofit to vario is not, imho, worthwhile even for a DD car, and even not for track, IMHO. Sure the midrange is a modest improvement, but not a $4k improvement. Just in terms of the general discussion, if one wanted the vario when shopping for a 993, then sure, I get that, look for 96-98 as that makes complete sense. But in terms of a so-called "great" advantage, I'd firmly disagree, particularly when so many other factors affect a 23+yo car's condition and health that limiting one's self to only vario cars for this "great" advantage is arguably a limiting criterion ...wholly imho, of course. If one were to drive them back to back, perhaps they just may agree ;)

3. That 300lb weight loss is great! Except I like my heat, AC, airbags (yeah, I'd really like to keep that one if that ever happens!!!), radio, lower dash (if only for aesthetics), comfy stock seats, and though my sunroof is currently non-op I wanna get it fixed. Which leaves me with carpet and glass ...not sure I'd get much there ;)

Edward

ilko 01-12-2019 04:02 PM

In other words you like your car stock. Yay! :D

Bill Verburg 01-13-2019 01:01 PM

lower gearing and lower weight are assets all the time, vram is only an asset at wot form 3500-5500 rpm

Edward 01-14-2019 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ilko (Post 15561087)
In other words you like your car stock. Yay! :D

Nah, not exactly. Just claiming poverty and jealousy ;)

I totally agree 300lbs net loss is great, but it wholly depends on the mission of the car. For folks who are willing to do that to their 993, more power to em!! I'm not one to contradict as I've done the gutting routine, albeit in my 911SC. Very modest mods but whole lotta lightening ...2550 half-fueled, yeah, all worth it!!! :D

Truth be told, I would love the shorter 993 gearbox even for a DD ...just the coin would be painful. But like I had said, if one were going in for trans work anyway, I think it'd be silly not to make some changes to a few of the ratios to make it more spirited!! :D

Edward