Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   New California exhaust rules, Fister 3 should we be worried? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1122821-new-california-exhaust-rules-fister-3-should-we-be-worried.html)

silvewrc2s 01-07-2019 03:55 PM

New California exhaust rules, Fister 3 should we be worried?

So I have Fister3s on my 993 and am worried that this would be applied here. Is this a reason to go back to stock? What about for other exhausts?

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.

IHTFP 01-07-2019 04:11 PM

If Fister 3’s conform to CA noise limits then I think you are OK.

LuftKopf 01-07-2019 04:17 PM

Attention:
Announcing the Official Fister III Recycling & Remediation center. It will accept discarded Fister IIIs at no cost to you, beyond shipping.
Safe, convenient processing in a Northeast location, well clear of California jetstream.
Clamps and Fister IIs welcome. :thumbup:
PM for Shipping address.

synth19 01-07-2019 04:22 PM

Hopefully 993's get a pass. Too classy to be stereotyped and pulled over. LOL

goofballdeluxe 01-07-2019 04:35 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the chances of being pulled over and having your car checked for this are pretty low. Then again, the chances of this being enforced are in direct proportion to how large the revenue the state is taking in. The more money states get from enforcing any thing, the more they seem keen to enforce it.

rg0115 01-07-2019 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by LuftKopf
Attention:
Announcing the Official Fister III Recycling & Remediation center. It will accept discarded Fister IIIs at no cost to you, beyond shipping.
Safe, convenient processing in a Northeast location, well clear of California jetstream.
Clamps and Fister IIs welcome. :thumbup:
PM for Shipping address.

Lol

rg0115 01-07-2019 05:04 PM

CA is becoming more and more like Germany Noise level is a big deal in Germany and if your car goes over the legal noise limit for the type of vehicle you are driving the police will impounded your car right on the spot and you get a ticket. Then it will get inspected by the TÜV Technischer Überwachungsverein and you are required to make the changes and provide proof. They pretty much do that with anything you do to your car that is not Registered with the TÜV. They keep a tight leash on what's allowed and not. Good thing I live in Kentucky now :) although I do miss Germany and especially the Autobahn.

Spyerx 01-07-2019 05:54 PM

yawn.

Just avoid Irvine and your typical police are too bored so will look for loud cars police forces.

When the police have nothing to do, maybe this becomes an issue. And in most of CA, they have a LOT to do.

911F1 01-07-2019 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by silvewrc2s (Post 15548274)
So I have Fister3s on my 993 and am worried that this would be applied here. Is this a reason to go back to stock? What about for other exhausts?

Can you post a link where you found this info. Thanks

jcochran1 01-07-2019 08:11 PM

My understanding was the noise limit is not new or changing, only that a ticket for this violation is no longer a fix it ticket but a $1000 fine. If that is accurate, none of us should have an issue as we would've already been cited for our exhaust. Hopefully it's only enforced at sideshows, which I hear was the target of the new law.

crw 01-07-2019 08:58 PM

I would worry more about the mudslides and wildfires.

Lewiston might be cold here in NY, but no snow ever, even though we are 30 miles from Buffalo

BetaSteve 01-07-2019 09:20 PM

I love a LOT of things about, but am also very happy not to reside in Commifornia.

gt3'er 01-07-2019 09:52 PM

See (4) in this Bill:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB1824

windydog 01-07-2019 10:59 PM

My understanding is that if you take your car to the CA Ref, they know every detail of you emission system, and the car must be brought back to stock 100%. This means that if you have your SAI removed, even if it passed SMOG, you must reinstall it. Just like someone mentioned, hopefully the 911's are low key and will not raise to many eyebrows.

I am somewhat tired of the street takeovers. IMHO, they should just crush the cars for scrap if you are a participant.

Chris M. 01-08-2019 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by rg0115 (Post 15548463)
Good thing I live in Kentucky now :)

:thumbup:

Cool video. Are those Fister 3s?