Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New California exhaust rules, Fister 3 should we be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:50 PM
VadGTI
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
Even as someone who loves motorcycles the funny thing is that the Harley's that cruise around my town are much louder than any cars I hear. I live in a beach community so it's pretty common for groups of Harley's to cruise around and they are loud. Some of them go down my street and set off car alarms regularly. so why do they seem to be treated differently if the goal is noise abatement?
It's not because of anything to do with the law. It's just playing favorites. The decibel ratings for motorcycles are actually lower than that for cars.

Originally Posted by Vehicle Code Section 27201
For the purposes of Section 27200, the noise limit of 92 dbA shall apply to any motorcycle manufactured before 1970.
Originally Posted by Vehicle Code Section 27202
For the purposes of Section 27200, the following noise limits shall apply to any motorcycle, other than a motor-driven cycle, manufactured1) After 1969, and before 1973 ........................
88 dbA
(2) After 1972, and before 1975 ........................
86 dbA
(3) After 1974, and before 1986 ........................
83 dbA
(4) After 1985 ........................80 dbA
Old 01-18-2019, 12:09 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

^right - I guess my question was a bit rhetorical. That's my point - they aren't trying to address noise. I wonder what the db ratings are for new Harley's with the louder pipes they offer?
Old 01-18-2019, 02:10 AM
BA73
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 100 Posts
Default I got a new shirt today

I'll be wearing it at Barrett tomorrow, come say hi if you're here!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 599 Likes on 352 Posts

BA73, i completely agree with that sentiment.

Anyone who would like to escape the oppressive nature of their state and come to Arizona, please do, but don't come here and start changing the place to match the hell from which you just escaped. geez.

Also, Andy is spot on here too: "Arbitrary and capricious regulation is designed to turn every citizen into an inadvertent scofflaw making a good rousting by the state a completely discretionary process. Nothing new here"
Old 01-18-2019, 12:02 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I am disappointed to see law enforcement now has the ability to fine $1k without any scientific evidence of non compliance. What’s next speeding tickets without radar/laser guns?

Having spent the last 26 years of my life in NorCal I am slowly becoming disillusioned with what the state is becoming. Sure weather is spectacular but some of the political nonsense is getting outta hand.

Regardless of the intensions I see cities rushing out to cash in on the changes. When SF starting charging $100 for no front plate parking officials would tag you even with time remaining on the meter. It’s all a revenue generation scam. Then on the flip side you observe the squandering of funds and get incensed as to who is paying for it. This is not a California only problem. It’s on the federal level too. Maybe I am just another disillusioned middle aged white male but I really don’t like where things are heading. End rant.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:55 PM
VadGTI
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I am disappointed to see law enforcement now has the ability to fine $1k without any scientific evidence of non compliance. What’s next speeding tickets without radar/laser guns?
The maximum possible fine is $1,000, adding up various court costs and multipliers. The actual fine would likely be 1/10th to 1/5th of that, depending on the county where one is cited. However, the whole point is that scientific evidence is required and the government has the burden. That's why most (if not all) of these are going to get thrown out. The law has always been this way but it never reached the stage where someone contested the ticket because they always paid the $25 "fix it" fee. Now that it's not a correctable violation, my guess is you're going to see most of these end up dismissed at trial. At some point, the police will stop writing them as they're going to become futile.

Quick Reply: New California exhaust rules, Fister 3 should we be worried?