Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Advice on which p shop in massachusetts for repairs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:15 PM
Gdub
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Advice on which p shop in massachusetts for repairs.

Hi all i have 1998 Carrera 2 S last summer i put $3000.00 into Koni struts and H&R springs. This early spring i would like to sort out rest of car with about $10,000 to spend on mechanics body is very nice so no need there. My question other than where to bring it is how to start process do i ask shop owner to drive car for feel of engine performance and how transmission feels also i would expect all my steering rubber is shot because millage is 70,000. I know valve seals are good never any smoke on start ups. Do i ask for new engine mounts or what or will he advise me to have them installed. Any advice on your perspective to ask about how to have car sorted out for everything needed to be more or less problem free other than the minor things like having a TME relay on hand. Thanks. I read about two years ago PCA members brought there P cars to a shop in Framingham mass or Natick Mass any suggestions.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Not Mass but Auto Associates in CT are one of the best
Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jerry Pellegrino at EPE is very very good. You can't go wrong dropping off to him, he'll sort the whole thing out for you. Mark Nadler at Exotech in Plaistow, NH is also great.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:06 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

+1 for Jerry at EPE in Natick. He did my corner balance, alignment, etc. knows air cooled pcars!
Old 01-05-2019, 09:16 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

This is like telling any mechanic that you are going to finance his next vacation home. Why don't you drive a few sorted 993s before throwing money at it?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:51 AM
Gdub
Racer

Ya that's what ill do mabey drive six or seven 993s. I live in central mass on CT line i haven't even seen one 993 in years hell i see one porsche a month if im lucky now if i lived in California your advice might be workable. Thank's.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Gdub
Racer

Thank's i checked out EPE website lot's of good things said about his shop.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:22 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

For engine and transmission work definitely EPE in Natick, MA. You can walk in there with a blank checkbook having a $10K balance and still walk out of there with $9800. Jerry is extremely honest and one of the most experienced 993 mechanics in the country, going back to when the 993 started running at Daytona in the mid-90s.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by George 993s
Hi all i have 1998 Carrera 2 S last summer i put $3000.00 into Koni struts and H&R springs. This early spring i would like to sort out rest of car with about $10,000 to spend on mechanics body is very nice so no need there. My question other than where to bring it is how to start process do i ask shop owner to drive car for feel of engine performance and how transmission feels also i would expect all my steering rubber is shot because millage is 70,000. I know valve seals are good never any smoke on start ups. Do i ask for new engine mounts or what or will he advise me to have them installed. Any advice on your perspective to ask about how to have car sorted out for everything needed to be more or less problem free other than the minor things like having a TME relay on hand. Thanks. I read about two years ago PCA members brought there P cars to a shop in Framingham mass or Natick Mass any suggestions.
Jerry at EPE in Natick, Automobile Associates in Canton Ct or Hairy Dog(Dan Jacobs) in Oxford Ct can't go wrong w/ any of them
Old 01-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by George 993s
Ya that's what ill do mabey drive six or seven 993s. I live in central mass on CT line i haven't even seen one 993 in years hell i see one porsche a month if im lucky now if i lived in California your advice might be workable. Thank's.
Hi George -
I'm right with you geographically, and yes not a lot of P cars around especially air-cooled. Have you been to Palmer Motorsports Park yet? There is always a lot of P cars there on DE weekends and member days. Quite a few of the shops bring their customer's cars there and provide track support. This has been helpful for me because I send my cars home with them for service (enclosed trailer) and they return them after the work is performed. Very easy and I don't need to deal with the hassle of traveling on our overcrowded roads. I have my maintenance mechanic (oil/brakes/tires) locally (Spencer) but send the cars out for the more technical jobs. We are fortunate that there are quite a few qualified shops around, just not in our backyard.

Some others that have not been mentioned yet are; Justin Becker at South Shore Autoworks has a very skilled air cooled tech who only does air cooled cars (Plymouth, MA) and has been for over 40 years. Tim Katchel of KMC in Lawerence is always doing interesting projects that many shops turn away. Not far from us at all (probably the closest actually) is Chris Musante of Musante Motorsports (S. Windsor CT). Chris does great work both on race prep and street and knows his Porsches inside out.
There are so many good shops that have mentioned in this thread that I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Good luck and stop up at Palmer sometime. The owner lets me host an air-cooled day every year and we will have one coming up in April this year - check the events forum here on Rennlist. also, you must have missed "Porsche on the Mountain" last October at Palmer. That show is every other year and next slated for 2020.

Regards,

Old 01-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Rene Prepetit
508 875-8911‬
Rensport
50 Tripp St.
Framingham Ma 01701.

Rene is a fantastic guy, the whole garage is a museum... Things I can't do myself, I have Rene do.. Before I moved to the East Coast, I was having Hegesheimer Porsche do all of my work- and before that it was Rothsport in PDX, Rene is in the same league!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Gdub
Racer

Hi Al thank's for the good information. Chris at Musante Motorsports installed my Koni advantage struts and H&R springs last summer nice guy. I mentioned i was buying new tires and he said have them shipped direct to his shop i would rather have them installed in Spencer seeing how close it is to me could i get the name of the shop you use. I purchased a ticket for $40.00 on line for the October date of the 7th i think for Palmer Motorsports Park than three days before i hurt my back and could not do the walking you do to view all the nice cars. By the way i live in Sturbridge. Well thank you again looking forward to meeting you at the next p event. George.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:38 PM
stussy1616
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul tosi
auto technica
sterling, ma
978 422 8071

specializes in air cooled porsches. He took care of my g50 targa and 993
Old 01-05-2019, 04:40 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Easy, Bill Pfister at Eurotech Advanced Automotive in Framingham.

http://eurotechracecars.com/
Old 01-05-2019, 05:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
This is like telling any mechanic that you are going to finance his next vacation home. Why don't you drive a few sorted 993s before throwing money at it?
Bingo!!
Figure out what, if anything, is wrong with the car. Based on what you've written above, you've paid $1,500+ for a suspension install in a 993 and an alignment? Ouch. If you seem happy with that, your $10K will not buy you much.

There are several good shops around Boston. EPE and Eurotech had been mentioned, Exotec (live Mark alone, you vultures, he needs to do my 993 over the winter and he's busy! ), German Performance in Brighton several others. I don't understand how I don't know of Rensport, having lived in Fram for many, many years and having my 993 there. Any more info on them? They are not mentioned much here, if at all. Should go say Hi in the spring when I'm back in Boston.

PS. I'm sure others will, but I'll volunteer my car to test-drive in may if needed. If'n it's ready by then.

Quick Reply: Advice on which p shop in massachusetts for repairs.