993 Forum 1995-1998

Driver Side Seatbelt Tensioner Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:54 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Driver Side Seatbelt Tensioner Issues

(Tried to search on the Forum here but only found rear seatbelt postings that didn't really apply in my case.)

When I extend the front driver's seatbelt to buckle it in, the tensioner on the belt will not allow for any further extension at slow movement speeds. The belt extends out for me to buckle it, and then the belt will retract until it is snug against my body and waist, but will not allow any further movement, for example, if I need to reach forward to the dash. The belt stays locked not allowing me to move my torso forward while it extends to allow for that movement.

I am pretty sure the seatbelt must be replaced as there are no user serviceable parts in a seatbelt by design. However, as a last ditch effort, I am looking to the braintrust on this forum to see if there is anything that can be salvaged before paying the big bucks for a new seatbelt assembly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:15 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

The reel is a simple mechanism. I suspect your problem is from some dried lubricant or another easily addressed issue in the belt reel. Not sure the belts ever need to be replaced other than if the webbing is fraying and even it that case replacement webbing can probably be stitched in.
Andy
Old 01-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

The tensioner needs to be mounted so that it is precisely perpendicular to the ground. The locking mechanism will lock up if it’s not positioned correctly. Unusual that it is operating intermittently, but it’s worth checking the position of the unit to make sure that it’s plum. You can loosen the bolt to readjust.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
The tensioner needs to be mounted so that it is precisely perpendicular to the ground. The locking mechanism will lock up if it’s not positioned correctly. Unusual that it is operating intermittently, but it’s worth checking the position of the unit to make sure that it’s plum. You can loosen the bolt to readjust.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. You’ll have to loosen the bolt to adjust the angle of the reel. I had this happen on my ‘95 when I was working on something (can’t recall).

Originally Posted by pp000830
The reel is a simple mechanism. I suspect your problem is from some dried lubricant or another easily addressed issue in the belt reel. Not sure the belts ever need to be replaced other than if the webbing is fraying and even it that case replacement webbing can probably be stitched in.
Andy
This is bad advice. Please don’t stitch in a belt to “fix” a seatbelt. If the belt is frayed, buy a new seatbelt mechanism or find a clean used one.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

There are places like Seat Belt Planet that will rebuild the reel mechanism and if needed replace the webbing, for less than the cost of buying new.

Seat belt repair is NOT a do it yourself thing....
Old 01-03-2019, 01:59 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

Great info everybody! Thanks!
Old 01-03-2019, 02:13 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan J
Seat belt repair is NOT a do it yourself thing....
I agree, didn't mean one should infer repair or replacing webbing is a DIY item.
If I don't mention The Home Depot or Lowe's as a source of supply my postings are generally not meant to be a DIY solution.

Last edited by pp000830; 01-03-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Seatbelt Tensioner Issues