Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Question about diconnecting fuel lines when dropping the engine

Old 12-31-2018, 03:44 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about diconnecting fuel lines when dropping the engine

This is probably a stupid question, but to anyone who has dropped the engine from a 993, how much gasoline comes out of the fuel lines when you disconnect them? I am in the process of dropping the engine in my 993 and I am at the point of disconnecting the fuel lines. I attempted to loosen the fuel line for the return portion of the fuel circuit and am finding that there is quite a lot of fuel draining out, I have half a plastic water bottle that I used to catch the fuel and I've filled it probably about 4 times and the rate at which the fuel is draining doesn't seem to be slowing down. Is this normal or am I missing something? Should I have drained the tank before I started to drop the engine?

GC
Old 12-31-2018, 05:22 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I had no problem just disconnect at the fuel filter, You are probably siphoning the fuel. Is the car level? Is the tank full? My tank was half full just a few ounces of fuel.drained off and I used a bung in the filter outlet.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:19 PM
GC96
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My tank is probably a little over 3/4 full. I suspect you're right that I am siphoning fuel. I will try your suggestion of disconnecting the fuel filter and capping that off. Thanks.

GC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about diconnecting fuel lines when dropping the engine