Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Re-Paint and 993 Value?

Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
My car was a full glass out re-paint of the original color. I did not purchase the car from the individual who completed the work but was able to track him down. He added factory aero and was worried about paint match so he opted to pay ALOT of money to get it done right. I couldn't be more than pleased with the job and he also added a clear bra. The dealer had no idea the car was re-painted, but I was able to knock off a bit from asking with this information at hand (but I still paid a premium as the color is rare). In my opinion, I would definitely take a re-painted car if done right (original color) and not due to an accident.
smart man!

Craig
Old 12-29-2018, 01:16 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Sorry, but any 20+ year old car, especially a 911, or the 356 that preceded it, will not suffer from a high-quality repaint. In fact, it may command more money than the original paint if it is in poor condition with rock chips, etc. Look at it this way: how many 356s are discounted because they have a new high-end paint job? None. When cars are several decades old, or older, things like mileage and paint take a back seat to condition and documentation.

Perhaps a situation where this would not be true, would be if it is a concours condition garage queen with less than, say, less than a thousand miles a year added to the car, in which case, the car probably doesn't need a repaint to begin with.
Quite right. And in which case we are not talking about discounts but rather premiums to be paid for original mint paint versus the majority of cars which have had some sort of retouch or repaint in which case they will be the standard pricing.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
... was wondering if a high quality repaint (Glasurit/high end shop $$) in the original color drops the value of a car.
Absolutely yes it does...it does not matter how high-end of a shop did the work. Anybody that says otherwise has likely had their car painted and is in denial. The reduction in value means a lower price for a buyer, so you can get a nice car with fresh paint for a "reduced" price. So, as with any purchase, YOU ultimately have to decide if the reduced price is worth it for YOU...and that's where your specific needs/wants for the car come in to play as many others have mentioned.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:04 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

if a car is re-painted - well documented photos are important. To me, part of the premium of original paint is that it is original (only once ever), but the other thing that is even more important is that you have no idea what was covered up with a new paint job - with original, at least you can see battle scars and problematic areas - so often new paint is used to be the lipstick on the pig. If you repaint, take a ton of photos so people know how the car was prepped and what lies under that new paint.

Last edited by myflat6; 12-29-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:52 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on the buyer. My 993 is all about go not show. It’s been apart a bunch and painted but to me anyway it’s meaningless. I expect a buyer with go as priority wouldn’t care either but a buyer with preservation or show as important would perceive diminished value by comparison.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:16 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

If I was choosing between two otherwise identical cars - I'd pay extra for high quality non-original paint vs 20 YO with stone-chips.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:55 AM
SRL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a G series car that was repainted its original color before I bought it in 1996. It was a first class job all the way and it shows now nearly 23 years later in that it looks as good now as it did then. IMO, it is better than factory and even has the factory-like orange peel. Worth more than a perfect original paint car? No. Worth more than a similar car that’s road rashed? I think that would be an easier buyer to find.

I have heard folks say be leery of a repainted car with clear bra, that needs the clear bra replaced. Seems the removal process could be more likely to damage a repainted finish. No personal experience there, though.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf
If I was choosing between two otherwise identical cars - I'd pay extra for high quality non-original paint vs 20 YO with stone-chips.
100%

I don't get the original paint thing. I care about a flawless finish and if it's 20 year old paint or 2 year old paint I personally don't care.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Re-Paint and 993 Value?