Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute - Page 9 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Reload this Page >

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Notices

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 AM
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wish you the best. I could be mistaken although after thirty years in the foundry industry involved in the manufacturing and inspection of parts like these and rather familiar with the rebuilding of these engines, I suspect you will be replacing a number of these parts. I agree with IainM on this one. The damage is down to the dendritic level from what I see and far less material will be present after they are cleaned especially the cam carriers, cylinders and case webs compromising the structural integrity. The oil pump and other mag parts are clearly no longer useable. They will make for interesting conversation pieces and no doubt you have learned a lot about these cars with all this work. Although the loctite 574 clearly does the job of sealing when in contact with metal and the absence of air. Amazing how well preserved some of the mating surfaces are compared to the surrounding material.

I hope I am proven wrong and look forward to the results.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:21 PM
911ist
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is some courage you have my friend and thanks for sharing...can't wait to see what's next!
Old 01-24-2019, 01:23 AM
budge96
Addict
Rennlist Member

I applaud your sincerity and considerable imagination but a small word of advise , why not try and get a complete running car to start with no less a RS Cup
clone ! Just an idea no disrespect ! Bert
Old 01-24-2019, 05:17 AM
Mikke_Possu
User

Originally Posted by budge96 View Post
why not try and get a complete running car to start with no less a RS Cup
clone !
I think he already answer that question. Because he can and want. It's a hobby. Kudos to him
Old 01-24-2019, 06:51 AM
nothingbutgt3
User

Originally Posted by budge96 View Post
I applaud your sincerity and considerable imagination but a small word of advise , why not try and get a complete running car to start with no less a RS Cup
clone ! Just an idea no disrespect ! Bert
First of all, thank you for the advise: I am proceeding step by step, now the engine parts are in the cleaning shop, where after that will be expertised.
Finger crossed, frankly speaking, I know there are very few possibilities especially to recover cylinders and so also pistons.
Why I should want to recover those parts if in my mind I have an RSR engine?
Because if it can be, I'd like to rebuild its engine and reinstall, for the first few years of rebirth: for me this is the main way, having a matching number engine crank available.

Then, of course only if this would be possible without a big investment, otherwise I would invest other way.

But in my vision...perfect would be having, in the end, the lime yellow (summer because lime is not a nice expression) 993 in CUP chassis & RSR engine, AND next to it, it's original heart on a pedestal, showing itself proudly.

I doubted many times about making a cup of this 993, few friends told me just to rebuild it as it was, since it is a rare colour, nice option codes list, nice history...and I was and sometimes still am considering that (like in a vicious circle), BUT every single time this happens, in the end it arrives a little voice inside of me that this is a RIBIRTH.
A revenant, when it comes the luck unexpectedly to come back to life, usually does it as a completely different person.
If he/she has been strong enough not to loose him/herself passing though such a mortal experience, usually he/she is a better person, more self conscious, more accurate, more focused.
Quicker in thinking and able sometimes to foresee within situations thanks to experience and awareness. Stronger, in general.

That's why this beautiful car, in my project, cannot be just restored.

I already have in my garage the polar silver 993 you can see in the profile pic, almost totally turned into RS street version specs: I don't need another coupé.
I can only drive one at a time.

Stronger: seam welded chassis (as a CUP was designed) and welded Matter cage

Sharper: full uniball CUP set-up

Quicker in reactions: RSR powertrain

I am not a collector: in my idea cars are divided by the use you do, and also 993s are car, the best cars ever made (in my personal opinion).

Making of it a track car, will allow to preserve the other one in polar silver.

It is a long road...like following the path of a river from its mouth to its source.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-24-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:01 AM
Quadcammer
Super User

the reality is that none of the money we spend on these cars makes sense from a logical financial perspective. If we were smart, we'd buy CPO camrys and drive them till the wheels fall off.

If this is your passion, and you got the money, the time, and the energy to do this project, go for it. Hobbies are crucial to a fulfilling life in my opinion.

definitely interested to see pics from when the parts come back from cleaning
Old 01-24-2019, 11:02 AM
myflat6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the reality is that none of the money we spend on these cars makes sense from a logical financial perspective. If we were smart, we'd buy CPO camrys and drive them till the wheels fall off.

If this is your passion, and you got the money, the time, and the energy to do this project, go for it. Hobbies are crucial to a fulfilling life in my opinion.

definitely interested to see pics from when the parts come back from cleaning
Truth
Old 01-24-2019, 11:12 AM
SpeedyC2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3 View Post

First of all, thank you for the advise: I am proceeding step by step, now the engine parts are in the cleaning shop, where after that will be expertised.
Finger crossed, frankly speaking, I know there are very few possibilities especially to recover cylinders and so also pistons.
Why I should want to recover those parts if in my mind I have an RSR engine?
Because if it can be, I'd like to rebuild its engine and reinstall, for the first few years of rebirth: for me this is the main way, having a matching number engine crank available.

Then, of course only if this would be possible without a big investment, otherwise I would invest other way.

But in my vision...perfect would be having, in the end, the lime yellow (summer because lime is not a nice expression) 993 in CUP chassis & RSR engine, AND next to it, it's original heart on a pedestal, showing itself proudly.

I doubted many times about making a cup of this 993, few friends told me just to rebuild it as it was, since it is a rare colour, nice option codes list, nice history...and I was and sometimes still am considering that (like in a vicious circle), BUT every single time this happens, in the end it arrives a little voice inside of me that this is a RIBIRTH.
A revenant, when it comes the luck unexpectedly to come back to life, usually does it as a completely different person.
If he/she has been strong enough not to loose him/herself passing though such a mortal experience, usually he/she is a better person, more self conscious, more accurate, more focused.
Quicker in thinking and able sometimes to foresee within situations thanks to experience and awareness. Stronger, in general.

That's why this beautiful car, in my project, cannot be just restored.

I already have in my garage the polar silver 993 you can see in the profile pic, almost totally turned into RS street version specs: I don't need another coupé.
I can only drive one at a time.

Stronger: seam welded chassis (as a CUP was designed) and welded Matter cage

Sharper: full uniball CUP set-up

Quicker in reactions: RSR powertrain

I am not a collector: in my idea cars are divided by the use you do, and also 993s are car, the best cars ever made (in my personal opinion).

Making of it a track car, will allow to preserve the other one in polar silver.

It is a long road...like following the path of a river from its mouth to its source.
A beautiful concept and PERFECT answer!
Old 01-24-2019, 04:25 PM
ShdwFx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Love your philosophy and following your REBIRTH closely!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:03 PM
IainM
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing is for certain- this will be the lightest RSR ever
ive heard of acid etching the tub but this takes it to a new level
Old 02-09-2019, 12:58 PM
nothingbutgt3
User

Originally Posted by IainM View Post
One thing is for certain- this will be the lightest RSR ever
ive heard of acid etching the tub but this takes it to a new level

Little update: I brought the engine parts to the shop to be cleaned with ultrasonic waves. Then the parts eventually still not clean or that will need more care (thinking about the cilinder walls) will be eventually cleaned with dry-ice system.

I also opened the gearbox...wow, it stinks, what a rotten egg smell! And I am not at some thermal bath...from a certain point of view, I think a lot but much better! (this I can say right because I do not have a wife, sadly and luckily)

Is there a way, a tutorial how to open the LSD and check how are the parts inside?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: