Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil Level Gauge needle rising while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:09 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil Level Gauge needle rising while driving?

Hey forum,

So as part of the 60k service I recently had completed on my 98’ 993, the oil was changed. The oil level gauge prior to this service being done worked fine. It would read about 1/4 when the car was warmed up, running, and on a flat surface. It would show nothing when the car was under load and being driven. However, since this service, the gauge has been doing some weird things. Once the car is warmed up, running, and on a flat surface, the needle pins at the top of the gauge. Under load the needle fluctuates between 1/4 and 3/4 on the gauge, averaging around 1/2 I’d say.

The car runs perfectly fine, no smoke, no burning smell, no oil on the ground. I’d be pretty surprised if they overfilled it. The work was performed by a certified 993 mechanic.

I’m thinking a gauge issue, perhaps wiring, sensor, etc. I thought I’d throw this out to the much more technically savvy folks on the forum to see what thoughts are out there on what the cause of this may be?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:16 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

It sounds high on oil to me. Have you checked the dip stick to compare?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:21 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB 911
If I’m honest, I didn’t check it prior to taking it back in to them Thursday. I have barely driven it since the 60k service was performed about 2 months ago. I drove it for an hour on Wednesday and it ran just fine.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:43 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
Yup, it’s overfilled.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:48 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

So let’s assume it’s overfilled...putting aside from the questions it raises in my head regarding the shop that performed the work for a moment, would the car perform normally as it did? I’d assume there would be smoke, etc?
Old 12-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Full must not mean overfilled! Could just be full.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:13 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

It's overfilled and by quite a lot. If you have a Mity-Vac or means of siphoning off a quart by way of a tube down the filler neck into the tank, please do so, then check the oil level by the dipstick at idle after the car is at full operating temperature. The dipstick level should be at the half-way mark and the gauge, if calibrated correctly, should read likewise. If you need to remove more oil to get it at half-way, do so. If you don't have the equipment or the inclination, then take it back to the cretins who did the change and tell them to get it right. Leaving it as is will create problems.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:04 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
It's overfilled and by quite a lot. If you have a Mity-Vac or means of siphoning off a quart by way of a tube down the filler neck into the tank,.
Maybe overfilled but don't stick a siphon tube down the filler neck as you may knock the oil level float out of adjustment or damage its arm. I would drain a little oil from the drain plug on the engine case and if needed put some of it back in so the dip-stick reads 1/3 or so with a HOT engine running at idle.
Also if your oil level checks out at less than 1/2 dip stick range may be the servicing mechanic tried to use a siphon tube and damaged the oil level sender.
Andy
Old 12-22-2018, 04:48 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

Andy, I appreciate your concern and, if someone has never done much "wrenching", it's probably not a good place to start but I've used small ID tubing with a MityVac numerous times to adjust my oil level with no problems affecting the sender arm or float. You just don't ram the tube down...you ease it down and if you hit the float, you back it up a little, twist the tube and try again. I'm sure you'll agree that the best method is to add oil a little at a time rather than to overfill.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:43 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like the oil is overfilled. The range of the gauge, from top to bottom, is only 1.5 liters, same as the range from top to bottom mark on the dipstick. IMHO, the sweet spot is midpoint of this range. Higher than that, the engine tends to burn it off, and create the impression that it is using oil excessively. If the oil is at the bottom of the range, that means "add a pint".

Old 12-22-2018, 06:17 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

under load...if the float is operating correctly the gauge should be pinned at the bottom NOT THE TOP!! It's overfilled! BTW Check your Dipstick Level.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Just recently, I used a large syringe with vinyl hose. No need to insert it far and very easy so siphon it out.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:51 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Another vote for overfull.

Off topic, does anyone think an overfill condition can be severe enough to actually bend the float arm the wrong way or otherwise affect the calibration.

Just looking for a cause.

I'm not sure I believe the theory that they were all off from the factory.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:22 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't think so. The wire is pretty stiff, took some force to bend it.
I think it's just manufacturing tolerances and for legal reasons they need to err on the safe (underreporting) side.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:12 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Seems the consensus is an overfilled situation. I’ve dealt with this shop a number of times and I’ve been pleased with their work in the past. I won’t pass judgement on them until I have an answer and the issue rectified. I’ll report back on what happens.

Thanks for all the input!

Quick Reply: Oil Level Gauge needle rising while driving?