Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Vibrations noise from gearstick

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:09 AM
skyboy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m going to chime in for what it’s worth. It may help you or maybe another reader with a similar question.

I noticed you have the aluminum **** shifter and so do I. What I noticed in my car is it had a funny feel when shifting, kinda “crunchy”. Not smooth going from gear to gear, especially when rowing “down”. Occassionally I would also get a vibration sound at certain rpm that disappeared when I kept a hand on the shifter. I started researching the linkage and wear parts and started to prepare to pull things apart. Laziness was my friend, as I didn’t bother with it for awhile. Then one day, under spirited driving conditions, I noticed the crunchy shifting was gone. The difference? My grip on the ****. I discovered when I grip the know firmly it shifts like butter. My problems were in the parts that comprise the ****. They are simply loose. From what I’ve been able to determine, the fix is to wrap dental floss in the cracks to tighten everything up. Some day I’ll try that, for now I just grip it and rip it.

I was really surprised to find out what my problem was. I thought I had a problem with the gearbox at worst, linkage at best, turned out to be ridiculously simple.

Maybe this helps and maybe not, but I couldn’t not say anything, just in case.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2018, 08:55 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 99 Posts

Thank you for the input skyboy. I have not taken off the **** yet to inspect, but its worth the try.

I went to my local Porsche Classic Centre last week and they said several things, and I noted one that it might be the viscous coupling in the 4wd drivetrain that causes vibration. If the plates inside are worn that might transplant to experienced speed related vibration I have.
Reason to belive it is worn is that the car has 118k miles on the clock, no records of replacing coupling found (only FW and clutch records), and by driving the car on a bit of icy road early this summer, I only had traction on the rear. No pull on the fronts. I also had my share of powerslides during this season (one trackday, mostly abandoned B roads), and I was suprised that the 4wd drivetrain allowed for holding the slides through the diffrent turns on the track. This tailahppyness of the car makes sense if the viscous coupling is not operating the way it should on the C4S.

This makes me left with a couple of questions: Does a normal C4S/turbo with a functional coupling allow for holding slides through turns? Is there a workshop way of determine the status of the coupling?
Old 09-24-2023, 05:55 AM
Shabir91
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicAndy
Anyone experienced vibration noises from the gearstick while driving?

The car used to not make those noises, but after this summer I have noticed an increase in vibration from the gearstick. It only gets worse as the speeds increases, but is not noticable around 60mph or less. 100mph + the sound takes over all other sounds in the coupe. If I hold firmly onto the stick, the vibration and noises stop and there is only "normal" noise in the coupe.
There is no issues with changeing gears from 1-6 and reverse, and there is no scraping sounds or hesitation on the syncros.
Nothing done to the gearstick itself either, other than shifting gears.

I have not opened up anyhing yet to look, but I suspect a bent rod of somekind which is affected by the engine rpm.

So is there anyone that experienced similar issue or have any pointers into the right direction?

Cheers

hi, i started having the exactly the same problem, did you manage to fix the noice coming from the gear stick?
Old 09-24-2023, 08:05 AM
ClassicAndy
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Shabir91
hi, i started having the exactly the same problem, did you manage to fix the noice coming from the gear stick?
Hi Shabir91,

my issues was noise from the gear leaver related to engine rpm and therefore it was most likely mechanical drivetrain issues.
After I discovered oil leakage on the floor, and my engine and gearbox just had been out of the car, I had to investigate where and why. Oil was seeping from the halfshaft in the gearbox and after a few sealing rings later my mechanic noticed a serious play (up and down) in the whole inputshft assembly R and L side. An deciscion on pulling the diff was made and the battle damage assesment was worn sealing rings, reduction on input shafts diameter, worn and bored up holes in the diff housing itself (where the input shafts mountes to the diff, which is quite precise machined), worn bearings L+R side, worn diff friction plates, etc you name it, it had it.
Now the whole diff is redone and the input shafts fixed, and the vibration is gone.

I also ha a lot of noise coming from the speedo gear inside the tach, which I though was related to gear stick, but it was not. That was just anothe factor on top of my diffrential issues, but it was hard isolating all this down to what it actually was.
Worth noting is that I had not dropped the diff if it werent for the oil leakage which happened within the last year of driving. It was the oil leakage issue that made me pull all apart. I thing the issue is very noticable without any obvious signs of worn parts, other than feel and sound.

My car had rolled 120k miles, so I guess was a combination of milage and driver style related issues.

The car is much more fun to drive as its more firm and responsive as the slack is gone, and the lsd actually works.

Heres a video of the play in the input shaft before the teardown:

New diff friction plates:

The worn input shafts:
Attached Images  

Last edited by ClassicAndy; 09-24-2023 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Vibrations noise from gearstick