Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Suspension Setup Choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

What do those "Main Spring" numbers mean - those are high rates.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
What do those "Main Spring" numbers mean - those are high rates.
Agreed, a 993Cup used 1142/1256 mains from the factory
Old 01-12-2019, 01:20 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I reached out to Hergesheimer MotorSports asking about caster, kt, and main spring explanation and they have not responded back.

i saw mark initially for 2min and he left

its interesting but when i went to pick my car up they really didn’t speak to me, i paid and a porter pulled the car up, they main guy Mark was mia.

i wasn’t a fan of the ride hieght and the office manager stated “that was what the tech found to be good”

not a good experience....
Old 01-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

If you want your car set up right, take it down to San Diego and have Jae Lee at Mirage International do it.

Jae is meticulous about his work and understands the 993 suspension with its KT, etc. and has done final set up for my cars for years.

A great guy.

http://www.mirageintl.com/
Old 01-12-2019, 02:35 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Originally Posted by Cupcar
If you want your car set up right, take it down to San Diego and have Jae Lee at Mirage International do it.

Jae is meticulous about his work and understands the 993 suspension with its KT, etc. and has done final set up for my cars for years.

A great guy.

http://www.mirageintl.com/

interesting... your the 2nd person who has told me this... I’m going to have to check him out
Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DutchNy
interesting... your the 2nd person who has told me this... I’m going to have to check him out
I would go back to them and get them to provide a KT measurement on the document. On my alignment I saw them do it but the tech forgot to write it down since it is not a standard measurement on their template. Went back to them and it was a 15 minute exercise assuming they did the KT setup.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:07 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Old 01-12-2019, 09:56 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

@dutchny they will hang the kt tool on your rear brake caliper bolts while the suspension is loaded which gives a KT "number" and basically is the caster value. Needs to be equal on both sides...and within a range of values which I can't remember of the top of my head. May be in that table @billv shared earlier. I know it's in the Porsche repair shop manual for the suspension values.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 AM
DutchNy
Racer

Originally Posted by samurai_k
@dutchny they will hang the kt tool on your rear brake caliper bolts while the suspension is loaded which gives a KT "number" and basically is the caster value. Needs to be equal on both sides...and within a range of values which I can't remember of the top of my head. May be in that table @billv shared earlier. I know it's in the Porsche repair shop manual for the suspension values.
Im going to set up an appt with Mirage in the coming weeks. I really dont want to deal with Hergesheimer MotorSports again.

I didnt understand how I told them to get my ride height below RS specs and KT was confusing.

Currently getting Tramont wheels refinished, and while its up in the air, Installing new RS Side Skirts and Tore HID / RetroFit Projectors.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
After some experimentation, and listening carefully to BillV, I found I like 3.5 on the KT gauge. YMMV, but its a good place to start.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:32 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Spoke to Jae at Mirage, KT adjustment is done by hand by him, with the wheel going up and down upto 2" to stimulate braking and acceleration, he measures it and adjusts.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:35 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DutchNy
Spoke to Jae at Mirage, KT adjustment is done by hand by him, with the wheel going up and down upto 2" to stimulate braking and acceleration, he measures it and adjusts.
That's a bump sweep, he is measuring toe change over suspension travel, Idea is a vertical line, worst is a horizontal line, neither will never happen, the best you can hope for is as close to linear and vertical as you can get
Old 01-17-2019, 07:24 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
That's a bump sweep, he is measuring toe change over suspension travel, Idea is a vertical line, worst is a horizontal line, neither will never happen, the best you can hope for is as close to linear and vertical as you can get
Interesting. Is this a legit method to set KT for lowered cars using either stock or monoball control arms? Seems elegant, but actually really difficult since to measure in compression, you'd have to remove the spring or find some safe way to compress it. Measuring in droop would only get you half the needed data.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Interesting. Is this a legit method to set KT for lowered cars using either stock or monoball control arms? Seems elegant, but actually really difficult since to measure in compression, you'd have to remove the spring or find some safe way to compress it. Measuring in droop would only get you half the needed data.
Sure, but as you say it's complicated as you need to either remove or compress the spring, You use dial indicators and a flat plate bolted to the hub to measure the toe change wrt to suspension travel, I'v posted several of these over the years

Generally it's sufficient to measure the caster w/ the Motorsports Gauge but that depends on having a stock motorsports suspension setup. Of course most of us do except for the big variable of static ride height.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric

Removing the spring is the method Mirage does it.

Quick Reply: Suspension Setup Choice