Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Heat and Velocity Temperature Different Driver/Passenger Side.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 04:53 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I've got this problem as well, ever since doing the RS heater bypass years ago. I put black tape over the cowl grille and that solved it, except that now I drive around with black tape on my car. Anyone know a solution? I jumpered the blower relay in the engine bay so the cabin HVAC fan works in the heat position (you have to do this with the RS bypass pipe). But with the tape removed I just get cold air. I must have a mixing flap stuck right?
Old 12-25-2018, 06:28 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 197 Posts

You guys are the best breaking b..ls!!! Home Depot and Walmart didn't have duct tape in black, so I bought silver duct tape, and covered the duct tape with black Electrical tape.
I am able to take my my coat off and my car is hot. Thank you!
Seriously, I noticed the driver's side vent to the floor is not providing the same temperature heat and velocity as the passenger side vent to the floor.
I'm ready for what I'm about to hear, but I asked for it. Thanks!!
Old 12-27-2018, 09:46 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Resemble!
Old 12-27-2018, 05:50 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
You guys are the best breaking b..ls!!! Home Depot and Walmart didn't have duct tape in black, so I bought silver duct tape, and covered the duct tape with black Electrical tape.
I am able to take my my coat off and my car is hot. Thank you!
Seriously, I noticed the driver's side vent to the floor is not providing the same temperature heat and velocity as the passenger side vent to the floor.
I'm ready for what I'm about to hear, but I asked for it. Thanks!!
Looks like you've also got a mixing servo problem. Lots of threads on them.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:06 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Probably the drivers side kick panel mixing valve has gone kaput. Common problem and easy replacement.

Easy to to diagnose by running the car and manipulating the CCU controls to check air volume and temps side to side.

Duct tape of any color will not be a solution here. Nor will inexpensive Indonesian tires. I crack myself up sometimes.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:14 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
Probably the drivers side kick panel mixing valve has gone kaput. Common problem and easy replacement.

Easy to to diagnose by running the car and manipulating the CCU controls to check air volume and temps side to side.

Duct tape of any color will not be a solution here. Nor will inexpensive Indonesian tires. I crack myself up sometimes.
Heyy Mike,

I was only kidding about putting black Electrical tape over the silver duct tape to match the colors...i'm going to hold off on my Indonesian tires until I fix my heating.

Also, thanks for the information on the mixing servo.

Have a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy 2019.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:55 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

OK Here we go. The center vents are both blowing hot and with great velocity. The passenger side foot vent, side vent and the defroster are blowing hot with excellent velocity.
The driver's footwell vent, side vent and the defroster are blowing warm, not as hot as the passenger side and with lesser velocity.
I moved the controls left and right and I didn't notice any difference in the driver's side heat or velocity.
The defroster blows hot air with good velocity, both side, with the defroster button pressed..
This condition exists after taping the cowl vents with the fresh air servo motor out of the car.
Why no cables and rods on my floor like my '77 and '85?
Old 12-28-2018, 07:25 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
OK Here we go. The center vents are both blowing hot and with great velocity. The passenger side foot vent, side vent and the defroster are blowing hot with excellent velocity.
The driver's footwell vent, side vent and the defroster are blowing warm, not as hot as the passenger side and with lesser velocity.
I moved the controls left and right and I didn't notice any difference in the driver's side heat or velocity.
The defroster blows hot air with good velocity, both side, with the defroster button pressed..
This condition exists after taping the cowl vents with the fresh air servo motor out of the car.
Why no cables and rods on my floor like my '77 and '85?
Help will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 12-28-2018, 07:28 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Please read my results of your recommendation.

Thank you!!
Old 12-28-2018, 07:59 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Drivers side footwell valve is stuck partially closed
Old 12-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Drivers side footwell valve is stuck partially closed
And this may be causing the temperature and velocity difference on all of the driver's side vents, including the defroster; compared to all of the other vents including both center vents?
And this footwell valve is located on the driver's side, inside the cabin?
Anything written how to repair? Photographs?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

If the problem is confined to the drivers side upper, lower and center and the servos cycle the air as directed by the slide valves then yes. The footwell valve is common to all three of these possible heat outlets and feeds directly from the engine heat exchangers.

It’s hard to gauge air velocity by feel at the defrost vents and center vents. I had the same exact problem years ago and replaced the drivers side footwell valve. Poor air flow and lukewarm heat most noticeable in the underdash outlet.

You’ll have to do your own search and investigation just like I did. I don’t have time to hand hold just point in the right direction. I’m sure Tore’s HVAC site will help and check the DIY search.

Not meaning offense but you have so many 993 squawks why don’t you find a good 993 wrench? Must be some good ones in the Philly area. I’m sure everyone here is willing to help you out to an extent but man, you are high maintenance.

Last edited by mike cap; 12-29-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

As previously discussed in your other thread, faulty HVAC modules can be read by an OBD scanner- if you don't want to invest time and money in buying a scanner a decent mechanic can diagnose this for you in 10 mins or less. Better than trying to guess by feeling where hot or cold air is coming from.

FYI as also discussed in your other thread I had the same issue as you at the same time... and in the time it has taken you to fiddle around with your modules and post here for feedback I've had mine diagnosed, removed, shipped to Germany for a rebuild, refitted and now have fully working AC and heating.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meenrod
As previously discussed in your other thread, faulty HVAC modules can be read by an OBD scanner- if you don't want to invest time and money in buying a scanner a decent mechanic can diagnose this for you in 10 mins or less. Better than trying to guess by feeling where hot or cold air is coming from.

FYI as also discussed in your other thread I had the same issue as you at the same time... and in the time it has taken you to fiddle around with your modules and post here for feedback I've had mine diagnosed, removed, shipped to Germany for a rebuild, refitted and now have fully working AC and heating.
Thanks for responding. I agree. The time, cost and frustration in trying to repair this myself isn't worth the time and aggravation.
I called Durametric's and I received a price for an enthusiast's scanner. If I purchased a scanner, I will have questions relating to the location, removal and installation of the affected device(s), which will continue to frustrate members on our site and me. I can't help myself. I have been trained to ask questions.
If I knew of a reputable independent Porsche shop in my area, I would bring my car to an independent shop for diagnosis and repair.
Instead, I will bring my car to a Porsche Dealer foro repair. Although costly, this will save other members and me continued frustration.
I appreciate everyone's time, effort and frustration I caused.
​​​​Thanks again!.

Last edited by Twilightblue28A; 12-29-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Guys, may I offer some opinions here?

I see a couple of things. One, we were all new at some point, so maybe we should give the new enthusiasts a bit of a break while they feel their way around here. They are not always going to post perfectly as the veteran members might, and also may not know how to research well. If the topic doesn't interest you or if you find it annoying, perhaps it's good to just ignore it.

Two, for all new members and users, it's probably a good idea to understand that your question has likely been asked many times before, so it would serve you well to delve into the archives and try different ways and search terms to find the answers. Additionally, you can use Google and input "Porsche 993 heat issue Rennlist.com" to obtain many threads. At some point, you might not find the exact answers for your situation, so then it might be okay to ask the board. Some of you know that I have prefaced many of my threads with "I've searched the archives and did not find the right answers" as a way of communicating that, yes, I have done my homework and am still coming up short. Indeed, I have spent countless hours scouring the board and reading thread after thread after thread before I pose a question.

Above all, the moderators understand that we are a community of enthusiasts (no, people), and that we all want to be treated with kindness.

I wish all of you a safe and wonderful New Year. To quote the 993 board's revered Chris Walrod, is this a great place or what? All of us have the ability to make it even better.

Peace, everyone.

Quick Reply: Heat and Velocity Temperature Different Driver/Passenger Side.