Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Sunroof delete project help.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Here are a few photos that Ilko posted on instagram, and was kind enough to share. Hope you find these helpful, I sure did.

View this post on Instagram

Photo courtesy Ilko
Old 12-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Man it has been frustrating loading simple photos and links here on Rennlist lately. It’s a real deterrent to contributing to the Forum IMHO.

One more try to post Ilko’s Instagram link

View this post on Instagram

Old 12-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Old 12-01-2018, 12:17 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm going to copy these and send to my bodyshop.

Looking forward to this one!

G
Old 12-01-2018, 12:39 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Endoman
Full respray and sunroof delete carried out by Ninemeister. Complete roofskin from Porsche, headliner from Southbound supports from Porsche interior lights delete now footwell as RS. Roof was sectioned at A and C pillars.
This is the only way I would do it. What did they do about the internal ribbing structure? I have to believe it’s different between the sunroof and non sunroof versions.

I know guys successfully weld in panels to delete but I cringe when I think of trying to keep a wide flat field from distorting regardless of stitch welding slowly. I also don’t like plastic body filler up there to smooth it out after welding. If I could use lead to fill the seams that would change my view point but it’s been 35 years since I was taught that. Not sure you could even find the materials or tools.

Kudos to all that have done this. When combine with gutter delete it really changes the looks for the better.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:20 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Look forward to seeing the finished product. One of my fav colors on the 991.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:48 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I've asked this before...but why do you guys delete the sunroof? Do you just prefer the look of no sunroof? Seems like a pretty drastic project for so little change...imo
Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
I think I've asked this before...but why do you guys delete the sunroof? Do you just prefer the look of no sunroof? Seems like a pretty drastic project for so little change...imo
For me it came down to a few things:

#1 was my comfort and enjoyment of the car. I was brushing my head on the headliner with the seat no matter where I placed it and what mounting holes I used, tried different seats (except direct mounting racing seats) also. A helmet was impossible to wear.

#2 reduced weight- I removed almost 40lbs from the highest part of the car.

#3 reduce complexity and looks - the roof looks much better love the “slick top” look. I was also having issues with my sunroof and my seals were in need of replacement. So chucking all of it made sense to me.

#4 personal preference - I never use the sunroof in any of my cars.

I researched and researched the process. For my car it was also time for a full glass out respray so after discussing it with the shop and making sure they were capable I descided to move forward. The cost increase was incremental in the overall job.

Last edited by Brig993; 12-11-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:59 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I have not seen the work yet in person, but there is a classic car restoration shop in San Carlos, CA that just did a sunroof delete on a 911. No filler... I have no idea if this is good work or not, but here are some pics of the delete.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:31 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

There are no cross braces in the roof, you need Dynamat or similar to dampen vibrations. The headliner is tensioned by what look like piano wires. It's a real skilled and time consuming job to replace a full roof skin.
As I live in the UK and we get 1 decent summer about every 10 yrs it's no great loss. I still have a/c (fully rebuilt)
Brilliant video of roof replacement.:- http://www.thedrive.com/flat-six-society/12609/watch-this-craftsman-expertly-replace-the-roof-of-a-porsche-964
Old 12-12-2018, 09:24 AM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

I plan to replace the entire roof one day. I have windshield rust. I want 993 wiper assemblies. And I want the proper bracing sans sunroof, not dynamat.

If anyone else has done so, I'd love to hear their thoughts on the project.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

What do you mean by "proper bracing" , a roll cage? The factory roof skin is just that, a skin with a sound deadening pad. The only bracing is from the screen surrounds front and rear, the guttering and A to C pillar frame give lateral support. You can see how's it's done in the video.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
I plan to replace the entire roof one day. I have windshield rust. I want 993 wiper assemblies. And I want the proper bracing sans sunroof, not dynamat.

If anyone else has done so, I'd love to hear their thoughts on the project.
There is no “proper bracing” on a non-sunroof car. From the factory it’s just the sheet metal roof skin. Some who have done this have added bracing but in reality only sunroof cars came from the factory with bracing mainly to support the sunroof structure. The thin foam backing or dynamat (today’s material of choice) is necessary (unless you just want to use perlon carpet glued to the sheet metal). The factory used it for two purposes: sound deadening and to allow the headliner bows to rest in it without moving or rattling against the sheet metal roof skin. If your saying you want 993 wipers I’m guessing you have a 964 or earlier. Then it would make sense to replace the whole assembly cowl/roof as it comes in one section but still
ita a huge job. Check out the link posted above about the AMMO 964.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:52 PM
kannon
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
I have not seen the work yet in person, but there is a classic car restoration shop in San Carlos, CA that just did a sunroof delete on a 911. No filler... I have no idea if this is good work or not, but here are some pics of the delete.

Do you have the name of the shop? I have been looking to do this in Bay Area and coming up empty at the usual Porsche body shops.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Here's a 993 roof w/ the internal structure visible

When I did mine I replaced the whole roof and finished it w/ Perlon, what you depends on how finished you want it.

The delta is 54#, the biggest benefit is headroom when wearing a helmet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof delete project help.