993 Forum 1995-1998

Cranks but won’t start -DME is good

Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cranks but won’t start -DME is good

Folks,

First real problem with my 993 in all these years. I keep two spare DME relays just in case. I swapped a brand new one out of the box and then pulled and checked the fuel pump fuse. I don’t recall hearing the fuel pump buzz when I turned the key before start. I also don’t smell fuel after lots of cranking. Battery is on a tender and cranks the engine with authority. Last long drive or run was in June and followed with a refill with fresh non ethanol fuel. Anyone have a flow for crank/no start diag they can recommend?

Saw some fuel pump info on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...fuel-pump.html

Last edited by hkspwrsche; 11-18-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:23 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

If you suspect fuel (you won't smell it -- these cars aren't carbureted!) I would crack one of the fuel lines at the fuel rails
Old 11-18-2018, 05:38 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by Churchill
If you suspect fuel (you won't smell it -- these cars aren't carbureted!) I would crack one of the fuel lines at the fuel rails

Will the injectors NOT pulse during all the cranking if the fuel system is working?
Old 11-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I am embarrassed to admit it but I don't know. I've driven my 993 for 12 years and have never had to diagnose a no-start problem. That said there's a 99% likelihood you have a fuel or spark problem. Probably not immobilizer, or it wouldn't crank. Unlikely both coils died at the same time. I would focus on fuel and computer problems. Are you sure you don't have two bad DME relays? The cheapo DME's are sometimes bad out of the box. I would also jumper the fuel pump relay to hear it run and cross it off the list.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:18 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Are you sure you don't have two bad DME relays?
+1 There is a posting for bypassing the relay, a little searching and you will find it.
Andy
Old 11-18-2018, 07:38 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
+1 There is a posting for bypassing the relay, a little searching and you will find it.
Andy

Hey Andy,

Hope you’re well. I have two new relays in the trunk and tried them both. I’ll use the jumper next. Seems unlikely I’d have two new that were inop.

Thanks,

Harold
Old 11-18-2018, 07:51 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Arrow

I am embarrassed to admit it but I don't know. I've driven my 993 for 12 years and have never had to diagnose a no-start problem. That said there's a 99% likelihood you have a fuel or spark problem. Probably not immobilizer, or it wouldn't crank. Unlikely both coils died at the same time. I would focus on fuel and computer problems. Are you sure you don't have two bad DME relays? The cheapo DME's are sometimes bad out of the box. I would also jumper the fuel pump relay to hear it run and cross it off the list.

First time for everything. This is my first no start that wasn’t solved by a spare DME relay. It’s been 6-7 years since that happened and when I had to replace it I put an X over the bad one and plugged in a brand new one. I need to track down my repair manual. The internet suggestions normally helps narrow down most items. Pretty easy to narrow to fuel or spark and not compression since it’s been well maintained, 61k miles and never had any smoke at start up. No immobilizer remote on this 95.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:54 PM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
I have had DME relays before that do not sit right in the fuse box and can cause you starting issue. I would get a friend or help to crank it while you lean the DME to one side so it is making good contact or wiggle it a bit while cranking. You should also feel it clicking while you holding it but this is not a 100% test. I would crack a fuel line as suggested earlier to see if you have fuel flow ? No fuel flow go back to looking at DME relay again. I was exactly like you had two bad relays one of them started my 964 but would not sit correctly in my 993 and cause a no start fault, I know it sounds crazy how can the same relay that is meant to be good start one car but not another lol. Some times the pins on these aftermarket ones are loose fitting and do not make a good connection.

check fuel lines a must.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by CBR786
+1
I have had DME relays before that do not sit right in the fuse box and can cause you starting issue. I would get a friend or help to crank it while you lean the DME to one side so it is making good contact or wiggle it a bit while cranking. You should also feel it clicking while you holding it but this is not a 100% test. I would crack a fuel line as suggested earlier to see if you have fuel flow ? No fuel flow go back to looking at DME relay again. I was exactly like you had two bad relays one of them started my 964 but would not sit correctly in my 993 and cause a no start fault, I know it sounds crazy how can the same relay that is meant to be good start one car but not another lol. Some times the pins on these aftermarket ones are loose fitting and do not make a good connection.

check fuel lines a must.

Thanks worth a try to wiggle the relay around and check the pins to see if they are in the fuse/relay block.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:44 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by CBR786
+1

check fuel lines a must.
Folks on the Facebook group have said if no fuel smell that is the best direction. I’ll check spark before I crack and fuel line.

Seems like this rules out the DME. Both sides click closed but still no start.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:20 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Read here; http://www.systemsc.com/diagnostic.htm under No-Start
Old 11-19-2018, 02:25 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

I had similar symptoms and cured them after replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter. Good luck and hope you get her sorted soon.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:15 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

When I bought my spare DME relay i fitted it in the car and kept the old one as a spare, therefore I am sure that both of them works!

Re the case above, my vote goes to the flywheel crank sensor.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:22 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Harold,

Just to confirm,

Between the last drive and the no start condition, has any work or maintenance been done?
That includes cleaning the engine bay area.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:43 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Common problem is failed crank sensor, mine and a friend within weeks of each other. Then an abs wheel sensor died. Seems they are getting to the end of their useful life after 20yrs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cranks but won’t start -DME is good