993 Forum 1995-1998

Cranks but won’t start -DME is good

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche

The two wires to the coil do not seem to be getting 12 volts on either coil. That was while cranking.
You need to further troubleshoot an anomaly and not go in other directions.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 11-25-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

The two wires to the coil do not seem to be getting 12 volts on either coil. That was while cranking.
Did you give any thought to post #38 and look at the wiring diagram? You do understand that neither the DME ECM, the DME relay,
nor the RPM sensor control the power to the coils?
Old 11-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Are you sure about this statement^^?
Sure! Just checked my manual (1994) for the car! Alarm is activated by locking one of the doors with the key. The ignition is blocked as long as the alarm is activated. Blocked ignition = Immobiiser.

But if You have the ten seconds of fast flashing red door lights when You lock the car the system is probably not the cause of Your problems.

Last edited by Railmaster.; 11-26-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-26-2018, 02:33 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Did you give any thought to post #38 and look at the wiring diagram? You do understand that neither the DME ECM, the DME relay,
nor the RPM sensor control the power to the coils?
I did not jump power to the coil from the battery. I would need to be clear which wire to add power to and then can try that. Either black wire?

I was not aware that the DME control unit had nothing to do with power to the coils.

Is there a particular path for the coil power and normal mode of failure I can check?

Should I have 12v while cranking or just key on? Just checking the two black&green/stripe wires going into the coil?

I’m trying to decipher the wiring diagram Andy graciously sent. I see an “ignition control unit” before the coil and then those wires go back to “control unit Mfi-di”

Last edited by hkspwrsche; 11-26-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

That 12 volts comes from the ignition switch (#15) which also powers the injectors. Hopefully, someone didn't add an aftermarket alarm function to control that voltage.
The black wires on the coils supplies the 12 volts. You can jumper that point to the plus terminal of the battery with the key-on and attempt to start the engine.
Please re-read!
12V is always there while key-on or cranking.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:04 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

That 12 volts comes from the ignition switch (#15) which also powers the injectors. Hopefully, someone didn't add an aftermarket alarm function to control that voltage.
The black wires on the coils supplies the 12 volts. You can jumper that point to the plus terminal of the battery with the key-on and attempt to start the engine.
Sorry about that Loren. Originally I did not have the wiring diagram. So I did not understand the #15 reference when I first read that but, I understand now that you are saying wires #15 are black and do supply+ power and not - ground.

The above line referencing 12 volts coming from the ignition switch is actually what caused me to clarify whether you meant ignition in “on” position or ignition turned to “start”. Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Sorry about that Loren. The above line referencing 12 volts coming from the ignition switch is actually what had me clarify whether you meant ignition in “on” position or ignition turned to “start”. Thanks again.
Once you manage to get 12V to the black wire (common to both coils & NOT the smaller green wire), the engine should produce sparks & start,
if that's the extent of your problems.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:32 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

After review of the diagram, I realized that I used the black and green wires as the only ground and power test. I went back last night and checked them and if I use the chassis as a ground then I’m getting 12v to the coil black wire. It seems I have no ground at the green wire. During my original check (pre wiring diagram) I was not sure which was positive or negative and just tried to pick up 12v from the wires going to the coil.

So based on the diagram the next place to check would put me back to the ignition module, yes? That leads me to where Alex was headed.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:12 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

So based on the diagram the next place to check would put me back to the ignition module, yes? That leads me to where Alex was headed.
Well then I foresee an oscilloscope in your future. Check craigslist, like $200 and you can resell it for the same. Then see the workshop manual, section DME Diagnosis, sec. 24. Note that when checking the control signal for ignition final stages (i.e. the plug that connects to the ignition module, under the drivers seat), you'll find a mistake -- the manual screwed up one of the wire identifiers. You'll figure it out. I noted this back in 2010 here.

The DME Diagnosis section describes a whole bunch of tests that you should consider. Well beyond just the ignition module.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

1) Do you have a full set of electrical schematics? Or at least Sheet 5 and Sheet 14?

You claim it is not a DME issue but as you stated it is a 1995 which means it has a separate ignition module.

Both coils do not fire as you claim. And I find it hard to believe that both coil drivers in the module are gone...at the same time. So you either do not have a signal to fire the module or the module is gone or you have a wring or grounding issue.

Pin 4 of the module on Sheet 5 goes to 31, a ground which is found at D133 (Sheet 14). See the J43 on Sheet 14? That tells you where it came from on Sheet 5.
On Sheet 14 that is linked to GP V. Go to the top right of Sheet 14 and GP V is located at 8eP.
Locate 8eP on the vehicle shown on Sheet 14.
Bingo...right under the driver's seat. Who knows, maybe some water got in there and it is corroded. It a simple check.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IXLR8
1) Do you have a full set of electrical schematics? Or at least Sheet 5 and Sheet 14?

You claim it is not a DME issue but as you stated it is a 1995 which means it has a separate ignition module.

Both coils do not fire as you claim. And I find it hard to believe that both coil drivers in the module are gone...at the same time. So you either do not have a signal to fire the module or the module is gone or you have a wring or grounding issue.

Pin 4 of the module on Sheet 5 goes to 31, a ground which is found at D133 (Sheet 14). See the J43 on Sheet 14? That tells you where it came from on Sheet 5.
On Sheet 14 that is linked to GP V. Go to the top right of Sheet 14 and GP V is located at 8eP.
Locate 8eP on the vehicle shown on Sheet 14.
Bingo...right under the driver's seat. Who knows, maybe some water got in there and it is corroded. It a simple check.
I don’t have a wiring diagram that has certain pages. It was a single attachment. I couldn’t print it so I’ve had to go back and forth. It sounds like a different version than what you have.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2018, 01:35 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

After review of the diagram, I realized that I used the black and green wires as the only ground and power test. I went back last night and checked them and if I use the chassis as a ground then I’m getting 12v to the coil black wire. It seems I have no ground at the green wire. During my original check (pre wiring diagram) I was not sure which was positive or negative and just tried to pick up 12v from the wires going to the coil.

So you used the test light to check for a flashing signal (green wire) on the coils, right? If the light flashes, then pull a coil wire and place it very close to some engine metal.
If the light doesn't flash, then you need to check for signals at the input to the ignition module with a volt meter (the voltage will vary while cranking). You keep "moving
back" to the DME ECM in troubleshooting. Once there, you then check the DME ECM's key inputs.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:00 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Well then I foresee an oscilloscope in your future. Check craigslist, like $200
Lots of options new and used oscilloscopes on eBay.for less than $100 Nice handheld ones too.
Andy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EONE-ET201-2-in-1-digital-intelligent-portable-storage-oscilloscope-multimeter/332753588715?epid=21020221975&hash=item4d79a8d1eb:g:gFEAAOSw0HFbarkL:rk: 1f:0&LH_ItemCondition=1500%7C1000
Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

So you used the test light to check for a flashing signal (green wire) on the coils, right? If the light flashes, then pull a coil wire and place it very close to some engine metal.
If the light doesn't flash, then you need to check for signals at the input to the ignition module with a volt meter (the voltage will vary while cranking). You keep "moving
back" to the DME ECM in troubleshooting. Once there, you then check the DME ECM's key inputs.
Seems like this post nails it. Just a small addition: I believe after checking at the coils, the next step would be checking *output* of the ignition module (still plugged in, probing the connector) per the workshop manual (o-scope). If bad, then unplug and check *input* signal by probing the plug with o-scope. Etc.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Still not up and running? Have You checked the crank sensor?

Quick Reply: Cranks but won’t start -DME is good