Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cranks but won’t start -DME is good

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

I had this condition develop about six years into my owning my 993. After doing all of the "standard" RL recommended diagnostics, and somewhat in desperation, I pulled the cover off the fuel pump and gave it two sharp raps with a small ball peen hammer. The car cranked right up and ran another five years without a hiccup.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:31 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by techman1
Harold,

Just to confirm,

Between the last drive and the no start condition, has any work or maintenance been done?
That includes cleaning the engine bay area.
Nope last drive and fill up and then drove it home and parked it.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:03 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche

Nope last drive and fill up and then drove it home and parked it.
Filling with diesel? My mother did that in her Skoda.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:47 PM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Let the fuel pressure bleed down for a few hours. Then turn the key to the "ON" position (Just before cranking) and see if the fuel pump runs.

You could have a failed fuel pump.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

And the "shotgun approach" to finding the no-start, as described by many, may eventually find the problem or develop additional problems.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:46 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
Filling with diesel? My mother did that in her Skoda.

Actually impossible since the place I go has special ethanol free 87 and 93 pumps. Diesel is on the other side of the facility as well as race fuel is separate.
Plus, Ive never done that in my life. I only run ethanol free 93.

Last edited by hkspwrsche; 02-06-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
And the "shotgun approach" to finding the no-start, as described by many, may eventually find the problem or develop additional problems.
After work I’ll check for spark with my spark gap tool and get my noid light to see if the injectors are pulsing.

I don’t mind stocking some common failure items so I ordered a crank sensor in case it leads me there but, if not I can keep it on the shelf for some other day.

Is there an easy way to check the pump? Easy way to put 12v to it maybe?
Old 11-19-2018, 06:50 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
Is there an easy way to check the pump? Easy way to put 12v to it maybe?
Spark and fuel.

Do you have a spark?

Would it not be easier to put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and take a reading. Then check the pressure regulator and fuel pump.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:36 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Spark and fuel.

Do you have a spark?

Would it not be easier to put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and take a reading. Then check the pressure regulator and fuel pump.
Or spray carb cleaner or starting fluid into the air cleaner? If it runs, then DEFINITELY a fuel problem, right?
Old 11-20-2018, 02:04 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
I had this condition develop about six years into my owning my 993. After doing all of the "standard" RL recommended diagnostics, and somewhat in desperation, I pulled the cover off the fuel pump and gave it two sharp raps with a small ball peen hammer. The car cranked right up and ran another five years without a hiccup.
+1

i have seen this work before too on a clogged or failing fuel pump. There is also a check valve that tends to fail as well.

No harm in giving it a hit
Old 11-20-2018, 03:48 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Even on injected cars, you will smell fuel if you have fuel but no spark.

If you do not hear the fuel pump, that is your issue (whether it is fuel pump itself or something related to power to it). Easy enough to check power with a multimeter.

And yes, sitting for 5 months would make me think fuel pump is stuck. Hitting them does work IME (but not IME on a 993). Sometimes even rocking the car works. How much fuel is in the tank now?

Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Just a thought, if one has a good fuel pump relay one should hear the pump run for a few moments when turning on the ignition after sitting overnight before starting the engine. No sound and the pump is not working. No pump no fuel. If you hear the pump, I would think fuel supply is not your issue. I would then check for spark. If no spark from either coil, I would think you have a rotational sensor issue.
Andy
Old 11-20-2018, 09:23 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Can’t seem to get spark. Checked from a plug wire and then right off the coil wires.

Had ordered a CPS. May gamble before fiddling much more. Found a thread with the more affordable Bosch part number so it’s wasnt much of a gamble.

Hopefully I’ll have that and be able to also check fuel pressure this weekend if that’s not it.

Not sure I can smell fuel on the 993 but, I have a 356 in the garage and I’ve been pulling the Solex carbs on and off. That’s probably made me numb to the lean injection system.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW,....Many times such faults lie with oxidation in the CPS (or any other) connectors and this is fixed using Deoxit inside both the male & female sides of these things.

Environmental conditions can cause what I call "connectoritis" where oxidation and/or corrosion block the tiny voltages that pass through various connections in the car. Any & all electrical connections must be "bright, shiny, and clean" in order to maintain proper conductivity.

I'd sure try that before shelling out $$$ for new parts.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:11 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
FWIW,....Many times such faults lie with oxidation in the CPS (or any other) connectors and this is fixed using Deoxit inside both the male & female sides of these things.

Environmental conditions can cause what I call "connectoritis" where oxidation and/or corrosion block the tiny voltages that pass through various connections in the car. Any & all electrical connections must be "bright, shiny, and clean" in order to maintain proper conductivity.

I'd sure try that before shelling out $$$ for new parts.
Noted sir. I appreciate your expert opinion and I’ll try the clean up on the plug first.

I guess I’m thinking in terms of 356 preparedness. Those guys advise keeping belts, tools, a complete tune up kit, clutch cables, or even whole distributors as spares! From that perspective, I thought I could use a spare sensor either way.

Quick Reply: Cranks but won’t start -DME is good