993 Forum 1995-1998

Momo Mod 07 vs. Prototipo - difference in driving position

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Momo Mod 07 vs. Prototipo - difference in driving position

I performed a quick search but couldn’t find anything, so... I’m looking to put an aftermarket wheel on my ‘95 C2 and really like the look of the Momo Mod 07 and the Prototipo wheels, but I’m wondering how each will affect driving position. I’m 6’3”, so I need the seat all the way back for max comfort with the pedals. My wrists line up pretty well with my stock steering wheel in my current driving position - I could possibly pull the wheel an inch or so closer to me if it were telescoping.

I know the Mod 07 has a dish which will bring the wheel closer to me, and the Prototipo is relatively flat but i’ve read where some have said there’s risk in dragging knuckles because of the short distance between the Prototipo and dash. Does anyone have measurements from the dash (at the top) to the back of the wheels that I’ve mentioned? I measured the stock wheel to be approx. 2 3/4” from the back of the grip to the front of the top portion of the dash.

I’m curious what others’ experience has been and appreciate any info on the measurements.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Elfer1
I performed a quick search but couldn’t find anything, so... I’m looking to put an aftermarket wheel on my ‘95 C2 and really like the look of the Momo Mod 07 and the Prototipo wheels, but I’m wondering how each will affect driving position. I’m 6’3”, so I need the seat all the way back for max comfort with the pedals. My wrists line up pretty well with my stock steering wheel in my current driving position - I could possibly pull the wheel an inch or so closer to me if it were telescoping.

I know the Mod 07 has a dish which will bring the wheel closer to me, and the Prototipo is relatively flat but i’ve read where some have said there’s risk in dragging knuckles because of the short distance between the Prototipo and dash. Does anyone have measurements from the dash (at the top) to the back of the wheels that I’ve mentioned? I measured the stock wheel to be approx. 2 3/4” from the back of the grip to the front of the top portion of the dash.

I’m curious what others’ experience has been and appreciate any info on the measurements.

I think that the Mod 7 is the same as the Porsche Cup wheel
Here's a comparison of a stock RS and stock Cup wheel, some dish but not much

I also have a steering wheel disconnect that moves the wheel back another couple of inches, only potential issue is turn signal operation as the QD moves the wheel further from the stalk too.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:42 PM
Elfer1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I think that the Mod 7 is the same as the Porsche Cup wheel
Here's a comparison of a stock RS and stock Cup wheel, some dish but not much

I also have a steering wheel disconnect that moves the wheel back another couple of inches, only potential issue is turn signal operation as the QD moves the wheel further from the stalk too.
Thanks, Bill. Do you have a preference for either of the two? And if so, why?
Old 11-18-2018, 12:25 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i go with prototipo as i prefer zero dish in a 993/964 esp. with seats with aggressive seat bolsters, i don't like my elbows hitting the bolsters
Old 11-18-2018, 11:07 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Elfer1

Thanks, Bill. Do you have a preference for either of the two? And if so, why?
I like the wheel closer to the body for track days, It lets you get up on the wheel and saves the shoulders.
Both seem on the thin side w/o gloves( I like the thick 930S wheel in my C3 for street use), but then for track days. wearing firegloves, perfect
Old 11-18-2018, 01:23 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I also have the Porsche Cup wheel like Bill but no quick connect.
I am 6 foot and the dish offset is just right for street use. On track I have the seat a little closer to the wheel for better leverage and control.
The extra space between the wheel and the control stalks helps on track, but still an easy reach for street use.
Mike
Old 11-18-2018, 02:51 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MB965
I also have the Porsche Cup wheel like Bill but no quick connect.
I am 6 foot and the dish offset is just right for street use. On track I have the seat a little closer to the wheel for better leverage and control.
The extra space between the wheel and the control stalks helps on track, but still an easy reach for street use.
Mike
Mike(MB965 is a tad shorter than me, mostly in the legs), The QD is what moves the wheel away from the stalk, not so much the dish of the wheel. Even w/ longer legs and the wheel moved back by the dish and QD, I still move the seat up for track days. It helps change the angle of the feet for heel&toe downshifts
Old 11-19-2018, 02:27 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Don’t rule out the OMP Corsica Superleggero Competition Steering Wheel. I may ditch my prototipo for one of these.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:27 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Anyone install the Prototipo Carbon? It's an upcharge of a few hundred bucks, but looks nice.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:12 PM
dantonio
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 125 Posts

Definitely a difference in posture with the dished wheel vs. flat. 1" will make a big difference. I recommend the Mod 07, especially if you're tall. I took mine off and am using it as a piece of art in my office, but when I mounted my relatively flat Nardi wheel I added a spacer to bring the wheel forward to a similar position.

I found the 350mm wheel a little bit small. I really like 365mm.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I am a big fan of the Mod .07. The dish is perfect since I always like having the wheel closer for better control. The rim, while seemingly thin, is perfect and makes the handling feel more "surgical." I had no issue with the diameter. The connection was second-to-none for me. I'm on the high side of 5' 11" and have a long torso.

If I ever ditch my 996, three spoker steering wheel for a non-air bag unit, I'll put in a Mod .07. Perhaps the only downside is that the super-grippy alcantara can wear quickly. The wheel on my old race car had some mild wear at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions, but, if you like to grip the wheel at various parts of the rim, it can look raggedy quite quickly.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:11 AM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
Anyone install the Prototipo Carbon? It's an upcharge of a few hundred bucks, but looks nice.

i just put the carbon wheel into mine, it is definitely nice. I am not sure if the leather is upgraded but it is like butter!

Old 05-30-2020, 08:39 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

I like that...where’d you get the Porsche horn button?
Old 05-30-2020, 04:08 PM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
I like that...where’d you get the Porsche horn button?
I think it was ordered from sunset. $44 shipped

Quick Reply: Momo Mod 07 vs. Prototipo - difference in driving position