Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Can I fit a '95 steering wheel to a '97 car

Old 11-12-2018, 02:57 AM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I fit a '95 steering wheel to a '97 car

I’ve got a 1997 Zenith Blue C2S with a blue steering wheel and thought it would be good to have a black wheel rather than blue…..just to tone down the blue interior a little !!

So some time ago I purchased a black steering wheel complete with air bag and had it restored to absolutely mint condition but have recently discovered thru the posts on this forum (and confirmed with the seller) that it is a 1995 wheel with the deeper dish versus the shallow dished retaining frame as on the later models.

Whilst there have been untold posts over the years re changing steering wheels from 4 spoke to 3 spoke etc and also the posts re air bag retaining frame differences etc I’m unable to find anything definative re whether an early wheel can be put on a late car.

I’ve heard somewhere that the issue (if there is one) may relate to differences in the splines so before I remove the original wheel from the car hopefully someone can advise whether a 1995 wheel can be fitted to a 1997 car without any issues please.

Regards
Bob
Old 11-12-2018, 03:03 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

It will fit no problem, the air bag needs to match the frame but you are replacing both. All spines are the same
Old 11-12-2018, 04:15 AM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Thanks 911PERVY for clarifying that !!
I'm not swopping or interchanging anything btw the wheels....simply going to put the early wheel in its entirety onto the late car.....so all should be good.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I did the same swap a few years back, since I found a new wheel in better shape than the one on my car. I can confirm that the splines were slightly different, such that when the new wheel went on it was cocked slightly to one side, as if the splines were set into the wheel with perhaps 1/2 a spline difference in orientation. I recall I could put it on with slightly more than 1 degree of difference to the left or less than 1 degree of difference to the right. At my next alignment, it was straightened as part of the front toe adjustment.

I know that the rack should be 100% centered, and this wheel keeps that from happening, but the difference is so small I can’t see that it matters. I don’t notice anything in driving - whether I’m driving straight or when I turn it full lock either side.

edit: I had a typo in which there was a “can’t” instead of a “can” in a critical location. Fixed.

Last edited by Tlaloc75; 11-12-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Let me know if you want to sell the blue steering wheel please.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:45 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

The early vs later 4 spoke wheels on the exterior are identical and will fit the same on the car. It's the inside airbag mount and airbag that is different.

Have some recent experience as a few group buy members are getting their 4 spoke airbag covers redone via carsdream.

The early 95 has a different deeper airbag that is not interchangable vs the later 97 one since the frame it attaches to as well as the interior of the steering wheel is different on the early 95 vs later 97. I did found though the airbag cover is interchangable so if you have nice airbag cover that is leather you can now put it on any wheel as long as you are comfortable disassembling the airbag.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by samurai_k
The early vs later 4 spoke wheels on the exterior are identical and will fit the same on the car. It's the inside airbag mount and airbag that is different.

Have some recent experience as a few group buy members are getting their 4 spoke airbag covers redone via carsdream.

The early 95 has a different deeper airbag that is not interchangable vs the later 97 one since the frame it attaches to as well as the interior of the steering wheel is different on the early 95 vs later 97. I did found though the airbag cover is interchangable so if you have nice airbag cover that is leather you can now put it on any wheel as long as you are comfortable disassembling the airbag.
I found the splines where slightly offset (as described in my post above).

I did reuse the airbag by swapping the frame.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:38 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for all your replies.....I'll chuck it on and see what it looks like against the marble grey interior and blue dash etc.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I swapped wheels on my 95 to a newer one and found that the splines were off. Its annoying. I might be interested in swapping with you
Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by knorrena
I swapped wheels on my 95 to a newer one and found that the splines were off. Its annoying. I might be interested in swapping with you
What color is yours?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:39 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Black as night. Can't get to the car at the moment. I will post a pic this weekend.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:46 PM
bjornebo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About four years ago I changed out the wheel in my '97 for an earlier wheel (the original had gotten pretty scuffed up and the '95 wheel was almost new). As discussed in the above posts, the airbag and airbag frame are deeper on the earlier wheels. With both the older and newer style wheels, the bolt heads of the bolts that secure the airbag to the frame are "trapped" between the steering wheel and airbag frame during assembly. This keeps these bolts in place while the wheel is installed on the splined shaft, before the airbag is secured to the frame using these bolts.

When I changed wheels, I reused my '97 airbag and frame The challenge that I had was figuring out a way to keep the airbag bolts in place when reinstalling the wheel (with the deeper wheel, there was too much space between the wheel and frame, so the bolts were not held in place - when I put the wheel on the splined shaft the bolts fell out of the frame). My admittedly klugey solution was to tape the bolts in place on the airbag frame with electrical tape before bolting the frame to the wheel. The airbag bolts have a shoulder that bears against the back of the frame. I put a hole in each piece of tape so that the bold head was not covered by the tape, but the shoulder was held down by the tape. This worked and I was able to reinstall the wheel and airbag with no issues.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:10 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Well I tried to upload pics, but it would not work. No matter, unfortunately for you, I decided to have my old wheel recovered so I dont really have a need to swap out. My apologies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I fit a '95 steering wheel to a '97 car