993 Forum 1995-1998

Alternator belt tension woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:55 AM
grazingcow
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Alternator belt tension woes

I know there are lots of threads but nothing is answering me question. I installed 3 new aftermarket belts, 2 days ago I turned on the heater and could smell a burning belt smell. It was raining that evening. next day no issues, yesterday I washed the car started it and heard a belt squeal. the alternator belt seems to be the issue, What I cant seem to find is a direct way to tighten it, do I remove a shim to tighten it?
Old 11-08-2018, 02:08 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, remove a shim to tighten. V-belts work beautifully when installed correctly, but can be challenging for newbies. I would spend a little time learning how everything works and what each part does. Then it'll all make sense.

Removing a shim tightens the belt by narrowing the distance between the pulley halves, forcing the belt to ride higher on the pulley, increasing its distance from the lower pulley, resulting in a tighter belt. Study up and you'll be in good shape.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:45 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If the old belts broke causing the need for replacement, I would make sure any belt debris that got in or through the fan is cleared away as it seems reasonable to me that belt shards being cooked probably can also cause some smells.
Also, I strongly recommend using a belt tensioning gauge such as the one offered by Gates to test belt tension. My view is that the least tension that eliminates squealing is desirable as over-tensioning can be a cause of fan blade damage and potentially premature fan & alternator bearing failure. In my experience if you are needing to remove shims to make a new replacement belt not slip something is up, possibly the shims were not replaced as they were originally sequenced on the pulley shaft.
Also, I feel the TSB sited Factory Pully Update is worth doing. If your Pulley haves are silver stamped metal the update has not been done on your car as the update parts are gold chromate. Since there is a TSB issued on this I would check if the dealer will do it for you free of charge. If not the parts are not expensive.

Just some thoughts,
Andy
Old 11-08-2018, 10:13 AM
grazingcow
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys just what I needed. The pulleys are original so I will see about getting those replaced. Luckily I didn't have a fan belt break so no shards and I'm almost certain the shims went back in order. It may be an issue with the after market belt.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:32 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

USE OEM BELTS > Unless stuck. Likely your problem = squeeling
If Burning Snapping
Usual problem after installing new belts is placement of parts
There is a schematic here in PDF - Adobe Acrobat
And a Pic > The usual suspect
link
PIC ON POST # 58 HERE:
My reply starts #48 for stock pulley halveshttps://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/991395-is-the-upgraded-alternator-pulley-worth-it-4.html=left
So install these two parts.=left
Next, Put in 3 - 7mm spacers for New Belt installation ( the spacer with a circular drilled hole), or 4 - 5mm=left
Next, install the second pulley half=left
=left
Next install the washer # 16=left
Next=left
Install # 15=left
Remember wide part of .#15 against the back of second alternator pulley half (the smaller pulley half)=left
=left
Locking Bolt > Tighten to proper torque=left
Done
Old 11-11-2018, 05:41 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

When (not if) you get a CEL, change out the aftermarket alt belt to an OEM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:00 PM
grazingcow
Advanced

Thanks TJ993, Thats excellent information. I am going to order new pulleys since the stock pulleys are worn and well polished, as well as as OEM belts and keep the aftermarket for spares.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

IMHO, the best belts are the genuine Porsche ones, the ones that come in sleeves marked Porsche and that say "Porsche" on the belt itself. There is some special magic about these belts, could be the way they flex, or something else that is not obvious, but they fit perfectly and don't trigger any misfire fault codes. Even the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), made by perhaps the same factory that makes the genuine Porsche ones, can cause problems. Not worth risking trouble to save a few dollars.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:57 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

OEM Porsche branded belts differ not because of "magic". They have differing serrations on the inner circumference, more of them spaced closed together, and slightly differing outer circumferences- only a few mm, but the combo triggered CEL in my car- and others. The non-Porsche belts were also Danco, but not "Porsche Danco", as mentioned.
Steve Weiner states this regularly.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:04 PM
grazingcow
Advanced

in the middle of purchasing a new pulley for the alternator. I can t find the "inner" pulley on Pelican parts, only the outer Part #: 993-106-268-01-M100. Can I purchase 2 outer pulleys witch negates both pulley sleeves. Sorry if this is a stupid question but even their how to shows the upgraded pulley but no part numbers.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ey-update.html
Old 11-18-2018, 09:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
The non-Porsche belts were also Danco, but not "Porsche Danco", as mentioned.
Steve Weiner states this regularly.

Dayco.

Andreas

Old 11-19-2018, 01:42 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks, Andreas. Knew that, but careless.
There's a comparison chart somewhere(can't find now) that gives measurements of 993 belts by manufacture, including generic Dayco, OEM Porsche Dayco, Gates. It reveals slight differences in mm among them- circumference, width. Serrations on the inner circumferences differed on my fan belt, as previously noted. Whatever, the generic triggered the CEL which disappeared after swapped for a new OEM..

Quick Reply: Alternator belt tension woes