Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Swine Eleven ReBoot - Shift Boot Trim Panel for 964 / 993

I wanted to share a project I've been working on for the past few months, some have seen teasers in my 993 build thread but now I have finished production units in hand.

A number of fellow 964 and 993 buddies had installed Rothsport shifters in their car and weren't satisfied with their modified OEM boot solutions. Many were looking for a "Singer style" shift console designed for the OEM center console. I designed these in CAD and after multiple 3D printed samples came up with the final design seen here. The 3D printed versions produced a consistent fit, however I opted to produce them utilizing an Injection Mold from ABS just as the original factory trim is produced to keep consistent within the interior. The tray is pressure fit in the existing boot opening and secured using the spring clips that held the shift boots trim ring in place. The rubber bellow that now shows through the tray is the existing Shift bellow already installed below the center console in the vehicle.

This has been a personal passion project for my own car that I've now mass produced to answer demand from fellow enthusiast. The panel will work great with Rothsport shifter equipped cars and other shift solutions, I'm currently exploring producing a matching **** with integrated shaft for those with flat bar style short shifters. A number of members have purchased are in the process of installing the ReBoot in their cars, if anyone has any installation questions or input they can PM or email me.

Link : SWINE ELEVEN REBOOT 964 993 SHIFT BOOT TRIM PANEL

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 11-06-2018, 08:15 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks great!
Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

That design looks factory fit sharp.
I'd love to see project photos showing your progress.
Nice one.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks very nice. Waiting for the version that includes an integrated shift ****. Please keep us posted as there are more folks in my situation then ones with the Rothsport shifter.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:32 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Beautiful work... I have had a Rothsport shifter waiting in the wings ready to go into one of my 964's for some time but I just did not like the available options for the shift ****/boot... I will be an early adopter to support your efforts
Old 11-06-2018, 01:33 PM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice design👍... but my only concern is all the small stuff that will fall & collect in the now cavity... when I got my car shifting just didn’t feel right, after lifting the leather boot cover I found coins plus other small things collected in between the folds of rubber boot, once clean & tidy shifting felt so much better.

just a thought.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:03 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

got mine ordered
Old 11-06-2018, 02:06 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Originally Posted by gw911nine97
Nice design👍... but my only concern is all the small stuff that will fall & collect in the now cavity... when I got my car shifting just didn’t feel right, after lifting the leather boot cover I found coins plus other small things collected in between the folds of rubber boot, once clean & tidy shifting felt so much better.

just a thought.
It’s not advised to collect coins and small items in there. Just sayin.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:18 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

The part where the rubber boot meets the shifter rod. There has to be a cleaner way than cutting the rubber boot.
Any thoughts about that?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:27 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Chatting recently with Jeff Gamroth, learned his shifter does not fit or work with 4-wheel drive vehicles.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:49 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, this was a VERY expensive undertaking so appreciate the support of the community!

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
That design looks factory fit sharp.
I'd love to see project photos showing your progress.
Nice one.
Take a peek at my build thread listed in my signature, I shared a few pics of the progress in there.

Originally Posted by Achtung964
Looks very nice. Waiting for the version that includes an integrated shift ****. Please keep us posted as there are more folks in my situation then ones with the Rothsport shifter.
​​​​​​​
If you've got a short shifter installed in your C2 and can get me a few measurements I've actually got the prototype drawn in CAD, just need to verify a few measurements (like top of the short shift shaft down to the rubber boot and thickness). I have a C4 that I'll be testing it on but it has the OEM C4 shifter and I l know the dimensions will be significantly cheaper.

Originally Posted by fsa
Chatting recently with Jeff Gamroth, learned his shifter does not fit or work with 4-wheel drive vehicles.
Indeed Jeff does not, FD Motorsports does offer a short shifter for the C4 but it's a flat bar style (we're working on a **** solution for this now for those that already have this). Sleepers Speed Shop is just wrapping up R&D for a full billet option with C4 guys in mind, I believe they will be taking pre-orders soon.

Originally Posted by gw911nine97

just a thought.
​​​​​​​
Its designed so that its a very tight seal at the bottom of the opening but still allows full shifting motion. The difference now is any coins that fell in this area likely would be visible, and the tight seal actually prevents dirt and dust from getting beneath it. Once cleaned and protected the Rubber boot should stay really nice.

My personal car was a C4 that I converted to a C2.

Originally Posted by 911F1
The part where the rubber boot meets the shifter rod. There has to be a cleaner way than cutting the rubber boot.
Any thoughts about that?
​​​​​​​
The factory boot is designed for a flat bar shifter, I've looked into other boots and even creating a new boot ($$$$$) and there really isn't a super great option because the diameter of the Rothsport shifter is almost 2" at the top. All the lube in the world wouldn't allow it to fit through the boot.

I've found its much easier to flip it inside out using an exact-0 knife and cut the block portion of the Rubber off, then very slowly trim it to a very tight fit and use a lubricant to help get the shifter through. An early adopter (thanks Jpar72) also tipped me off to adding a very tightly stretched O-Ring to the top, it will conceal the cut lines. I've just recently done this to my personal car and am quite happy with the results. Just waiting for the console to come back from a re-wrap/stitch so that I can get better pictures.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:32 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

It’s Christmas every day
Old 11-06-2018, 04:13 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow. Very cool! Nice work!!!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no use for this at the moment yet am extremely tempted to buy one based on the merit of your efforts. We need more people like you who are willing to create elegant solutions like this for our cars. Thank you for creating and sharing this piece with the community.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:26 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRoboto
I have no use for this at the moment yet am extremely tempted to buy one based on the merit of your efforts. We need more people like you who are willing to create elegant solutions like this for our cars. Thank you for creating and sharing this piece with the community.
I was thinking the same thing. It's just so damn cool, I think I need one!

Quick Reply: Swine Eleven ReBoot - Shift Boot Trim Panel for 964 / 993