993 Forum 1995-1998

New 993 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 03:09 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New 993 Owner

I have now joined the ranks of Porsche 993 owners after a long and frustrating search for the ideal 993. I started my search back in February and have lurked in this forum for a while. I knew I wanted the widebody look and just didn't have the funds for any of the turbos. I also wanted something unique that would be a good match for my 2004 Guards Red GT3.

I really liked the 1994 Carrera 4, which was exclusively a widebody, but either the prices were too high or the PPI's just didn't pan out well. I wanted a driver, not a garage queen and those 964s are entering collector status. I was also very attracted to the 993 C2/4S, especially with the Turbo II Aero kits. I think the aero kits nicely complimented the already aggressive stance of the S models. Needles to say, I looked at a number of examples, some of which were beautiful but the owners had too high of asking price, and others which were not as they were presented to be. I was looking for either a blue, white, or silver example, but color was secondary to the condition. I was very envious of the Iris Blue C4S that was purchased by Synth19 on the forum as that one seemed perfect. The Zenith Blue on my C2S is amazing. In all pics it looks to be just blue, but when you see it in person, there is also a purple iridescence to the paint that comes out at various angles.

My good friends at Dallas Motorsports helped me navigate through all the details providing the much needed knowledge of what to look for as I will be the first person to admit I don't know a lot of things about air-cooled models.. In the end, they contacted Rudy off the list here in Houston and he had a 1998 Carrera S that he was selling. And now it is mine!! Rudy has an amazing collection. Any car coming our of his collection can be relied upon to be exactly as he presents it and also setup very well. The C2S has his traditional Hard Back Sport Seats painted the color of the exterior, a GT3 steering wheel, PSS10's, Fister Stage 2 exhaust, RS Motor mounts, TechArt wheels, TechArt Pedal Set, and more.

I did some touch up paint on the front bumper (Rudy loves to drive his collection!) and so I did the front bumperette delete at that time and also did the rear bumperette delete. As I said, I loved the Turbo II Aerokit look, so I was able to buy some used parts and added the aerokit to the car. Some of you are purists and will disagree with my decision, while others of you will agree. That is the greatness of this forum! I added the bumper protection bar while doing the work. All in all, it is pretty complete right from the start. There may be a few minor upgrades or improvements I may make but right now, it is fun as heck to drive!

I have to get an inspection. The readiness monitor was reset and I was told I have to drive it in order to build enough history for the inspection to take. My airbag light stays on and is probably due to the GT3 steering wheel changeout. I will have to sort that out as I hate to see warning lights. This week I will get a clear bra put on the front and plan to take it to Porsche Palooza in Eureka Springs next weekend! Pics follow.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:54 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

Sweet looking ride! Can't go wrong buying from Rudy. Love those hardbacks!
Old 11-04-2018, 04:34 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Nice!
Old 11-04-2018, 08:26 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Congrats, beautiful WB! That’s an interesting rear bumper. Info?
Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 PM
grazingcow
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice Ride! I'm looking to add an aero kit to mine as well. So I've been going to Eureka springs every year since I was a kid, I never knew they had Porsche Palooza. This is the greatest news ever since I will actually be there this coming weekend. Hopefully we can bump into each other, I'll be in the Black 993 Targa.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:36 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Great addition Jon! I've seen and drooled over that car when it was Rudys. I'll look forward to seeing it next week in Palooza!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:44 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Thank you! I thought it was silly to remove the front bumperettes and leave those big ones on the rear. Wade, of Wade's Rod and Custom, is a high end designer of custom car creations and one hell of a paint guy. He is the one who painted the Aerokit add-ons for the car. While he was doing that, I had the nosepiece repainted to remove 84,000 miles worth of little paint chips.

For the front, he simply filled in the notches left from the bumperettes before painting. I bought the Euro light assemblies to fill the gap left by the bumperettes as many have done on this forum. For the rear, after removing the rubber bumperettes, he had to remove the plastic bumper to get to the brackets that were riveted to the metal bumper. You have to cut the rivets loose to remove the brackets before replacing the plastic bumper..This left 2 large holes on either side of the license plate. The Euro bumper doesn't have the holes because there was no bumperette requirement and their plates are wide enough to span the gap. Some on the list placed wire mesh behind the holes to give it a cooling type of look. Wade, however, designed this metal plate with the drilled holes look to mount over the space. We felt that black was the best color. It was then bent slightly to follow the contour of the bumper. Then the license plate can go over that metal plate. Easy.

When I mentioned others here on the forum might want to do the same thing, he said he could make these plates and paint them whatever color all day long. Didn't cost that much or require too much effort.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:30 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Gorgeous car... and local. Hopefully I will see it at a local PCA event.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Beauty - enjoy!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey, we're nearly identical twins!! Mine's a 97 C2S, Zenith Blue, painted hardbacks, cashmere interior, 82k miles.
Funny, I've been contemplating doing the calipers in yellow and wasn't sure how it would look. Seeing it on yours is a big help.

Welcome and congrats!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:04 AM
synth19
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats, color looks fantastic. This looks like a spectacular example. Are the seats aftermarket or factory option?
Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 AM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by synth19
Congrats, color looks fantastic. This looks like a spectacular example. Are the seats aftermarket or factory option?
Thanks. The seats are Porsche aftermarket additions. The seller, OPO, has dozens of 993's in just about every color there is. His trademark is to put the sport seats in all his cars and have them painted the car's exterior color. His collection is something to see and is amazing! I am lucky to have had the chance to buy one of his 993's.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
Are the seats aftermarket or factory option?
One can usually spot an aftermarket Waldemar seat, as the leather has a tendency to ripple in places, here, it is right behind the seat controls on the drivers' seat, and if you look closely, you can also see a little rippling on the passenger seat as well.

OP, congrats on a nice 993. Enjoy it in good health
Old 11-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Mine are from the same aftermarket source in Germany. They look great and are holding up well.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:13 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay777
Hey, we're nearly identical twins!! Mine's a 97 C2S, Zenith Blue, painted hardbacks, cashmere interior, 82k miles.
Funny, I've been contemplating doing the calipers in yellow and wasn't sure how it would look. Seeing it on yours is a big help.

Welcome and congrats!
Wow, that's amazing the similarities. The yellow calipers do look nice and the yellow seatbelts are a nice compliment. The S was painted yellow so I kept that look with the new badges on the wing. I was amazed how the bumperette delete changed the lines of the 993. So glad I did that now.

Quick Reply: New 993 Owner