993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Porsche dealer clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
It never ceases to amaze me how, for the most part, the Porsche dealer network gouges their customers. They have the attitude that, if the owner can afford a Porsche, they can afford to be overcharged. Yes, they have overhead. Yes, they have an impressive facility. Yes, they have to train and pay their technicians...and, yes, they deserve to make a profit...but there's no reason to charge 2X or 3X over a fair price. They'd get much more business if they quit their usurious practices.
Your Porsche dealers must take you for granted! My Porsche Premier Dealer only estimated $6000.00 for the clutch, plus the pressure plate, if needed; plus alignment on a C-4 Cabriolet!! And, that's before I would mostly have heard "while we're in there....." The estimated costs are from suburban Philadelphia.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:22 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 612 Likes on 342 Posts

Okay, So I have even more exciting news! The convertible top intermittently won't go up and down sometimes. I thought it was a fuse, they are telling me the cables broke inside the drivetrain of the convertible top and it will cost me $4,050 to fix it (2k for parts alone).

I mean....what is wrong with these people and does anyone know of this issue? for a 1996 Carrera Cabriolet once again. This has to be criminal pricing, I should file a robbery claim with the local police hahaha

Also, any reccs on a shop in the Santa Monica/LA area?
Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 612 Likes on 342 Posts

I am honestly so offended, I have a car on order with these guys and this makes me worried. WOW!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:39 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
Okay, So I have even more exciting news! The convertible top intermittently won't go up and down sometimes. I thought it was a fuse, they are telling me the cables broke inside the drivetrain of the convertible top and it will cost me $4,050 to fix it (2k for parts alone).

I mean....what is wrong with these people and does anyone know of this issue? for a 1996 Carrera Cabriolet once again. This has to be criminal pricing, I should file a robbery claim with the local police hahaha

Give Marco over at TLG in North Hollywood a call; he only works on air-cooled 911s and it's worth the drive out there to get your car fixed right at a fair price. I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. Tell him Philip in the silver C4S sent ya, and NEVER EVER take your car to any Porsche dealer
Old 11-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

As somebody else implied, dealers do not like working on old cars. They can make a lot more money doing $1k oil changes on dozens Cayennes and Macans every hour than sidelining a tech for days to take an engine out of a 993.

I bring mine to Red Line. Marc is not cheap, but he knows his stuff and is closer to you than any Porsche dealer.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

+1 for Marco at TLG
Old 11-01-2018, 10:43 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by welikethetrack

I live on the East Coast, I can't help you with a shop, but I can let you know a little about your convertible top issue.
On the driver's and passenger's side of your convertible top are two cables, one on each side, that run through the convertible top. Each cable connects to a motor, "transmission" controlling the movement of the convertible top. If your convertible top is stuck in the open position, you can manually close the top by bypassing the Motors, using Porsche's tool.
You should hear the motor or motors "transmission" operate. Sometimes the cables slip off the transmission, but again, the motor "transmission" will run.
Both cables must be synchronized in order to operate the top correctly.
If only one of the cables stretched or broke, always replace both cables, especially since your cables have to be synchronized to operate your top to open and close correctly. This is one area where you do not want to be pennywise, dollar foolish. Failure to replace both cables will possibly damage your convertible top and your convertible top frame.
Aftermarket cables are manufactured. Only use Porsche cables.
It is not necessary to to have your Porsche dealer to troubleshoot and make the necessary repairs. Look around for a reputable convertible top and upolostery shop that works on Porsche convertible tops. You can also call GAHH, the top manufacturer, and they will know someone in your area.
You can always contact me. The convertible top and upolostery shop I use has been in business over sixty (60) years. They also install upolostery and convertible tops on my 442's and they also work on other classic cars. They probably know someone in your area.
Let me know if I can be of any help. Thanks- Harry
Old 11-01-2018, 11:43 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
I live on the East Coast, I can't help you with a shop, but I can let you know a little about your convertible top issue.
On the driver's and passenger's side of your convertible top are two cables, one on each side, that run through the convertible top. Each cable connects to a motor, "transmission" controlling the movement of the convertible top. If your convertible top is stuck in the open position, you can manually close the top by bypassing the Motors, using Porsche's tool.
You should hear the motor or motors "transmission" operate. Sometimes the cables slip off the transmission, but again, the motor "transmission" will run.
Both cables must be synchronized in order to operate the top correctly.
If only one of the cables stretched or broke, always replace both cables, especially since your cables have to be synchronized to operate your top to open and close correctly. This is one area where you do not want to be pennywise, dollar foolish. Failure to replace both cables will possibly damage your convertible top and your convertible top frame.
Aftermarket cables are manufactured. Only use Porsche cables.
It is not necessary to to have your Porsche dealer to troubleshoot and make the necessary repairs. Look around for a reputable convertible top and upolostery shop that works on Porsche convertible tops. You can also call GAHH, the top manufacturer, and they will know someone in your area.
You can always contact me. The convertible top and upolostery shop I use has been in business over sixty (60) years. They also install upolostery and convertible tops on my 442's and they also work on other classic cars. They probably know someone in your area.
Let me know if I can be of any help. Thanks- Harry

Old 11-02-2018, 03:40 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Give Marco over at TLG in North Hollywood a call; he only works on air-cooled 911s and it's worth the drive out there to get your car fixed right at a fair price. I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. Tell him Philip in the silver C4S sent ya, and NEVER EVER take your car to any Porsche dealer
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
As somebody else implied, dealers do not like working on old cars. They can make a lot more money doing $1k oil changes on dozens Cayennes and Macans every hour than sidelining a tech for days to take an engine out of a 993.

I bring mine to Red Line. Marc is not cheap, but he knows his stuff and is closer to you than any Porsche dealer.

I am on the east coast and I have heard great things about Marco at TLG and I have worked with Marc Bixen at Red Line Services (http://www.redlineservice.net/), with whom I was incredibly satisfied just this August. He's top notch and a very straight shooter. And I dealt with him remotely, which was fine, and not something you'll have to do. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
It never ceases to amaze me how, for the most part, the Porsche dealer network gouges their customers. They have the attitude that, if the owner can afford a Porsche, they can afford to be overcharged. Yes, they have overhead. Yes, they have an impressive facility. Yes, they have to train and pay their technicians...and, yes, they deserve to make a profit...but there's no reason to charge 2X or 3X over a fair price. They'd get much more business if they quit their usurious practices.
Why do dogs lick their *****?
Old 11-02-2018, 10:52 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

I think most of the consternation about dealer pricing comes from the fact that for most makes the dealer's primary customer is the car's manufacturer or domestic importer and the work they do is largely in-warranty so although car owners fill the service bay funnel, they are not the paying customer. For in warranty work the labor rate and the parts prices is nowhere near what the non-warranty owner pays. Dealer pricing for out of warranty work suggests they really don't want any other customer's work unless it is wildly profitable.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Here is a thread discussing shops in your area to use for a PPI. All of them would be good for your repair needs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...of-993-c2.html

Also, when I bought my cab the PO had just had a new top installed and everything adjusted. One of the first things I did was convert the top to manual. Whether it was in a month or 10 years the top would need attention. This way I have no worries.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:46 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Another option in the Santa Monica area is Ottos on Lincoln. Daniel did my clutch a few years ago for a fraction of that.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:51 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
Another option in the Santa Monica area is Ottos on Lincoln. Daniel did my clutch a few years ago for a fraction of that.
If I am not mistaken, I believe I heard that Otto died. When I tried contacting the shop last summer, it didn't appear to be open...but I could be wrong.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:55 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Otto did pass away but his head mechanic took over the operation.

Quick Reply: 993 Porsche dealer clutch replacement