Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Buying advice / value question??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

If you're going to drive it I don't see the point in paying a premium for a low mileage car. I get the seller's remorse you are feeling (see my sig) but I think you should keep shopping.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I think a high mileage, well maintained car, is almost always going to be a better bet as a driver than a low mileage car that was diaper-wiped but mechanically not where you want it yet.

The driving condition of these cars tends to be more about care and maintenance than miles. Lower mile owners, in general, tend to do less maintenance, since they are using the car less, which means there will be more for you to do after the purchase.

I know I’m biased, my car is at 135k, but I also happen to think it’s true .
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
I think a high mileage, well maintained car, is almost always going to be a better bet as a driver than a low mileage car that was diaper-wiped but mechanically not where you want it yet.

The driving condition of these cars tends to be more about care and maintenance than miles. Lower mile owners, in general, tend to do less maintenance, since they are using the car less, which means there will be more for you to do after the purchase.

I know I’m biased, my car is at 135k, but I also happen to think it’s true .
I respectfully beg to differ. It all depends on the owner, not the mileage of the vehicle. Our low-mileage vehicles get meticulous maintenance, just like our high-mileage vehicles.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

I’m sure you do!

My experience is that lower mile cars tend to have some deferred maintenance based upon time, rather than miles. The important ones are:
- Plug wires
- Distrubutor belt and bearings
- All of the rubber suspension components (bushings and shock mounts) as well as the shocks themselves
- Clutch and DMF
- Engine and transmission mounts
- Lifter cartridges

I’m sure there’s more I’m not thinking about right now.

Point being that it is rare to find a lower-mile car with all of this work already done. If it hasn’t been done yet, it’s going to need to be done as you drive and add miles.

If you want a driver, a higher mile car that has had all of this work done is going to give you the lowest cost per mile in my opinion. Entry point will be lower and the major work is already completed.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:07 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

I get your drift but that's like saying if an old man has had both knees and hips replaced, a hernia repair and a heart by-pass, he's going to live a long, healthy life and not spend much on health care. In reality, there are no guarantees or warranties for old people or old cars!
Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Haha, too true. Best, and most expensive, case is a low-mile car that has also had all the work done - totally fresh. That might be what you have in your garage.

Last edited by Tlaloc75; 10-18-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:29 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
I get your drift but that's like saying if an old man has had both knees and hips replaced, a hernia repair and a heart by-pass, he's going to live a long, healthy life and not spend much on health care. In reality, there are no guarantees or warranties for old people or old cars!
The point that is being made is a comparison between a 20yr old and a fit 45 year old under normal circumstances. Not a 20 with a 70 year old with extra "wear and tear."
Old 10-18-2018, 04:46 PM
olsonreels
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Regardless these cars are money pits. Nature of the beast with a performance 'toy' auto that is 20 plus years old and wears a Carrera badge. Something is either broken/aged/worn out or on its way. Some of it is self inflicted via 'slippery slope' (the fun stuff!) items. Condition is everything. One thing continually mentioned here - every pc of rubber is at least suspect if not already shot. Can't stress that point enough.

Still it comes down to what you want and how close to tip top shape you require the car to be. Either at point of purchase or the amount of additional monies you will or won't throw at it to fix/maintain/upgrade common wear items for improved performance (suspension for example).

​​
Old 10-21-2018, 12:21 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olsonreels
Regardless these cars are money pits. Nature of the beast with a performance 'toy' auto that is 20 plus years old and wears a Carrera badge. Something is either broken/aged/worn out or on its way. Some of it is self inflicted via 'slippery slope' (the fun stuff!) items. Condition is everything. One thing continually mentioned here - every pc of rubber is at least suspect if not already shot. Can't stress that point enough.

Still it comes down to what you want and how close to tip top shape you require the car to be. Either at point of purchase or the amount of additional monies you will or won't throw at it to fix/maintain/upgrade common wear items for improved performance (suspension for example).

​​
Totally agree. I know I'm going to get flamed but I've said it many times... people who have low mileage cars, all original cars and claim they drive well are just plain wrong. I would go so far as to say U.S. spec cars did not even drive great brand new. Ride height was absurd and the whole suspension is WAY to soft.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:42 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alexl911
Totally agree. I know I'm going to get flamed but I've said it many times... people who have low mileage cars, all original cars and claim they drive well are just plain wrong. I would go so far as to say U.S. spec cars did not even drive great brand new. Ride height was absurd and the whole suspension is WAY to soft.
I mostly agree. I remember driving a new one with sport suspension and thinking it drove exceptionally well. Without sport suspension they were too wallowy for my taste.

As an aside, that was even more true for the 964 IMO. When I got my first 964 I was appalled at how it handled. My second (the RSA) was better but still not great. Needed a lot of mods and setup to handle well.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:23 PM
norbtx
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by olsonreels
​​
+1. You really have to love or desire to have an air=cooled 911 because its not cheap! Worth it to me though!
Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 PM
olsonreels
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

​​​​​I'm still very new to this having had my cab since April. With 5K of my own miles on it now...suspension is shot and woefully undersprung to boot. Will be a winter project to replace the rubber bushings and struts/springs (settled on PSS10 if they ever become available again!) on top of the seemingly endless list of nickel and dime items and projects (needs and wants). Lest that sounds negative, it isn't as the car has exceeded my fun meter expectations. Haven't turned wrenches on a car since the 90's, very much enjoying that aspect of ownership too. Going to add a driver quality 993TT to mix in the near future as well. Which is somewhat relevant to your original point in starting this thread about values.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:51 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I may have found another car but now it's the question of value goes the other way. It's a '96 polar silver on black and has everything very well sorted (motion control suspension, top end rebuild, super clean and very well maintained)... BUT the car has approx 120K miles.

What do you think it's worth? I'm not worried about the mileage but if I keep it for a long time, put lots of mileage on it will hit 150-200k miles and then no one will want to touch it?
Old 10-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Probably high 40s. Drive it and enjoy. A well maintained example will always be in demand regardless of miles.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:21 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

OK, I may have found another car but now it's the question of value goes the other way. It's a '96 polar silver on black and has everything very well sorted (motion control suspension, top end rebuild, super clean and very well maintained)... BUT the car has approx 120K miles.

What do you think it's worth? I'm not worried about the mileage but if I keep it for a long time, put lots of mileage on it will hit 150-200k miles and then no one will want to touch it?
I have a friend here on RL who in the past year bought a 195k C2S and the price was far from a give-away price. Well-maintained 993s should retain considerable value.

Depending upon whether it's NB or WB, the car you describe could sell in the 60s, easy, especially if it's WB.

Quick Reply: 993 Buying advice / value question??