993 Forum 1995-1998

smoke from rear left wheel arch at lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 AM
MyCarDrivesGreat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile smoke from rear left wheel arch at lights

something or joint is leaking drips of oil onto something hot like an exhaust. nearly bailed the kids out at the lights the other day on the way to hockey. freak out! any ideas chaps? she is an early '94 993 C2. low mileage, sat for 15 years but always kept up, now driven high speeds on autobahns and some mountain passes. porsche checked it last year and found nothing to do. thinking must be a worn joint seal or gasket or washer or something typical. is it dangerous? could it pop into flames one sunday afternoon? should I get a fire extinguisher anyway? Help!!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:16 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 486 Posts

My guess would be simply a leaky valve cover gasket. I would wipe everything down and see where its coming from. Also, not sure of the total miles but could also be a blown motor mount. Those will leak right onto the cats and smell terrible. Not an expensive fix either way. My money is on just the valve cover gaskets.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:18 AM
MyCarDrivesGreat
Track Day

thanks mate. will have a look at those two things.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

It's oil dripping onto the heat exchanger from a leaky valve cover gasket, most likely. Not a big problem or expensive fix, but the smoke can be alarming and smells bad.

Now you owe us a photo of your low-mile C2
Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM
MyCarDrivesGreat
Track Day

it doenst do it all the time so ill wait till the next oil service to have them tightened up.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:20 PM
MyCarDrivesGreat
Track Day

Old 10-15-2018, 03:55 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MyCarDrivesGreat
Generally speaking, it's not a matter of tightening up the lower valve cover fasteners but rather replacing the gaskets...
With heat cycles and time, the gaskets lose their resiliency and grow hard, thus losing their ability to seal properly.

Do both sides while you're in there and order new fasteners as well... The torque spec on the fasteners is 7 ft lbs, but you'll want to use an inch pound torque wrench and torque to 84 in lbs, in a criss-crossing pattern from the center of the valve cover out.

I tighten to 50 in lbs first, and then go back in the same criss-crossing pattern, from the center out, to 84 in lbs. I have used this process more than a few times, without any instances of leaking.

P.S. If the suspension has never been changed, you could stand to replace the tired OEM Monroe suspension and bushings as well, with a quality aftermarket product. This would also require and alignment and corner balancing from an alignment center that knows and specializes in 993 Porsches

Last edited by nine9six; 10-15-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:35 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Kids playing hockey is certainly dangerous.

Smoking oil from lower valve cover drips is rather common and not dangerous, though people tend to make funny faces and attempt to run away. Combined with the little hockey goons in the car... a tough combo.

As many said above, definitely lower valve cover gaskets. Could also be warped covers, but that's much less likely. What is likely is that the car would leak from other gaskets too, so do one job at a time and keep checking. Might also want to swap spark plugs while doing lower valve gaskets. Oh, BTW, the next step in the saga, if you don't replace the valve cover gaskets, will be oil small seeping through the air vents after the car seats for a while. That is much more fun than external smoking. Ask me how I know and why I;m glad to own a convertible.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:01 AM
993c4ie
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Valve cover as discussed above....or leaking oil return pipe. Ask me how i know!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 PM
TexasJake
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with previous posts. Just went thru this on a 98 C2S that was very lightly driven the last 10 years. I bought it at 27k in January and started driving it. Started getting progressively worse in about 8 Weeks.

it might be easier to spot if you run without the engine cover while you sort it out. I was able to do both lower covers at about 2-3 hours per side, bought parts off of Pelican and used a Pelican tech article and the Bentley’s 993 book. Also consider getting new exhaust clamp bolts , nuts and washers because if you break on of those when pulling the muffler it will take longer than 2-3 hours ��. I have all the part numbers if you need them.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:04 AM
MyCarDrivesGreat
Track Day

Went for a big very fast drive on the swooping alpine autobahn. no smoking when arrived. same on the way home a few hours later. (its a great drive!). my guess i overfilled it and it finds its way out when sitting all week long. sure its not suspension or engine mounts as car hasnt been used enough, but will have it checked with next oil service. thanks alot for the update suggestions. i dont have any DIY ability here where we live. very urban setup. also car is 100% stock factory example and i love the way it drives and the original feel.

this forum is great and enjoying the family feel. if anyone here wants to drop by and enjoy some original alpine home land of our cars just pm me. Sun is shining endlessly and im finding work related reasons not to go for a burn up now!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:20 AM
MyCarDrivesGreat
Track Day

Originally Posted by nile13
Kids playing hockey is certainly dangerous.

Smoking oil from lower valve cover drips is rather common and not dangerous, though people tend to make funny faces and attempt to run away. Combined with the little hockey goons in the car... a tough combo.

As many said above, definitely lower valve cover gaskets. Could also be warped covers, but that's much less likely. What is likely is that the car would leak from other gaskets too, so do one job at a time and keep checking. Might also want to swap spark plugs while doing lower valve gaskets. Oh, BTW, the next step in the saga, if you don't replace the valve cover gaskets, will be oil small seeping through the air vents after the car seats for a while. That is much more fun than external smoking. Ask me how I know and why I;m glad to own a convertible.
they demanded to sit in the back on the way home. that lasted about five minutes. one of the them kneeing my back. stopped and made the biggest get in the front and the other one sit behind him. they where pretty stunned by my old fashioned approach. brats!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:23 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
P.S. If the suspension has never been changed, you could stand to replace the tired OEM Monroe suspension and bushings as well, with a quality aftermarket product. This would also require and alignment and corner balancing from an alignment center that knows and specializes in 993 Porsches
corner balancing not a necessity for a street only car and only possible if switching to coilovers anyway.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:32 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 486 Posts

If it was from overfilling, wouldn't it likely smoke from the right side?
Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MyCarDrivesGreat
Went for a big very fast drive on the swooping alpine autobahn. no smoking when arrived. same on the way home a few hours later. (its a great drive!). my guess i overfilled it and it finds its way out when sitting all week long.
Unlikely just an overfill. Most common mechanism is the oil seeping through the lower valve cover gaskets and pooling on top of the heat exchangers. Where it starts smoking eventually, which in turn, mostly smelled and seen at low speed in-town driving. Any resemblance of an Italian tune-up will burn the oil off and you wouldn't smell or see it until the next time the car sits for a few days to a week, depending on severity of the leak.

sure its not suspension or engine mounts as car hasn't been used enough, but will have it checked with next oil service. thanks alot for the update suggestions. i dont have any DIY ability here where we live. very urban setup. also car is 100% stock factory example and i love the way it drives and the original feel.
I probably doesn't have anywhere near the original feel as the OEM Monroe shocks are known to blow at 30-40K miles or less. I'd wait a bit and see, but if ii understand correctly where you are (norther Germany or southerns Switzerland? Perhaps Austria?( you'll thoroughly enjoy redone suspension and better tires than what you surely currently have on 16" wheels (as almost no good tires seem to be available in 16" any longer). But I'd wait with that stuff until you get a much better feel for the car's shortcoming and pros for your specific usage.

Quick Reply: smoke from rear left wheel arch at lights