Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has the sun set on Sunset Imports? Or, Another One Bites the Dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you for all your comments, fellas!
I will post a follow-up, if and when Alex, the new parts manager meets his verbal and written commitment.

Just so it's clear, I have always had positive results when previously purchasing from Sunset Imports, but things have changed quite a bit in the last 2 years...

Paul, I know it doesn't excuse poor customer service, but why is it not possible that the package was stolen? Happens in the best of neighborhoods.
​​​​​​
Mark,
I NEVER stated that it's not possible that the parts were stolen, but the parts guy said the sensors were "stolen" from my mailbox, (how could he possibly know this, and make such a statement to a customer?) In 35 years of residence in my home and to the best of my knowledge, I have never had anything stolen from my mailbox...The parts would have easily fit in a small 3" × 5" padded envelope, which would have not been visible to anyone if placed in my mailbox.

In checking with USPS, they state that it is the shippers responsibility to file a claim for any and all lost articles, since they have all the specifics with regards to shipping, insurance, and pricing documentation.
Again, all of my correspondence to Sunset Imports were ignored.

A special thanks to Ed Hughes, who put me in contact with the right person to get the ball rolling in a favorable direction!
Thanks Ed!

Last edited by nine9six; 11-14-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Thank you for all your comments, fellas!
I will post a follow-up, if and when Alex, the new parts manager meets his verbal and written commitment.

Just so it's clear, I have always had positive results when previously purchasing from Sunset Imports, but things have changed quite a bit in the last 2 years...

​​​​​​
Mark,
I NEVER stated that it's not possible that the parts were stolen, but the parts guy said the sensors we're "stolen" from my mailbox, (how could he possibly know this, and make such a statement to a customer?) In 35 years of residence in my home and to the best of my knowledge, I have never had anything stolen from my mailbox...The parts would have easily fit in a small 3" × 5" padded envelope, which would have not been visible to anyone if placed in my mailbox.

In checking with USPS, they state that it is the shippers responsibility to file a claim for any and all lost articles, since they have all the specifics with regards to shipping, insurance, and pricing documentation.
Again, all of my correspondence to Sunset Imports we're ignored.

A special thanks to Ed Hughes, who put me in contact with the right person to get the ball rolling in a favorable direction!
Thanks Ed!
Ed,

Sunset said they have a tracking number indicating that the parts were delivered; it's perhaps safe to say that the tracking number is legitimate and that Sunset didn't just ship an empty envelope to you or fabricate a shipping number that presumably works on the carrier's website, yes? What, then, I wonder was delivered and, if delivered, where is it? Although it sounds like you live in a nice, low crime area with a low probability for theft, there's a first for everything, right?

Again, there's no excusing the poor follow-up on the part of Sunset, but I simply posted in an effort to have you see that* perhaps the parts were delivered but were stolen.

Good luck getting this resolved.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 361 Posts

I have only had positive experiences with Sunset. I opened a package last year over six months after delivery, and discovered a part missing. Despite the six month delay, Sunset shipped the part immediately without question.

Better story. Last winter Sunset express shipped a pair of links for my suspension rebuild. Despite shipping confirmation, the links never arrived. I couldn't understand what had happened to the links, but there was no time to spare with the car on the lift. Sunset stepped up and shipped another pair of links, free of charge. A week later, a neighbor from the next street over showed up at my door with the package. The carrier had left the package at the wrong street. I give a big thumbs-up for Sunset.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Smile

Sorry, wrong one...

Originally Posted by Foxman
I have only had positive experiences with Sunset. I opened a package last year over six months after delivery, and discovered a part missing. Despite the six month delay, Sunset shipped the part immediately without question.

Better story. Last winter Sunset express shipped a pair of links for my suspension rebuild. Despite shipping confirmation, the links never arrived. I couldn't understand what had happened to the links, but there was no time to spare with the car on the lift. Sunset stepped up and shipped another pair of links, free of charge. A week later, a neighbor from the next street over showed up at my door with the package. The carrier had left the package at the wrong street. I give a big thumbs-up for Sunset.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

"Ed"?

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Ed,

Sunset said they have a tracking number indicating that the parts were delivered; it's perhaps safe to say that the tracking number is legitimate and that Sunset didn't just ship an empty envelope to you or fabricate a shipping number that presumably works on the carrier's website, yes? What, then, I wonder was delivered and, if delivered, where is it? Although it sounds like you live in a nice, low crime area with a low probability for theft, there's a first for everything, right?

Again, there's no excusing the poor follow-up on the part of Sunset, but I simply posted in an effort to have you see that* perhaps the parts were delivered but were stolen.

Good luck getting this resolved.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:01 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

UPDATE

After one month, the issue has finally been resolved by Sunset Imports! Kudos to Sunset Imports!!

Two days ago, I received the sensors I had ordered... while it did require me to repurchase the parts; yesterday, I received a refund for my original purchase, and I did get the parts for $20 less than the original cost.

In speaking with the new Parts Manager, Alex Krieger, it became clear that he had been moved over from the Audi side of the business, to re-establish better customer focus and control of the Porsche Parts side of the business.

Again, much appreciation to my fellow rennlisters, with special thanks to Mr. Ed Huges who pointed me in the correct direction. At Sunset Imports, kudos to Mr. Frank Geary, GM and Alex Krieger, PM, in making everything right!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Now they have free shipping on orders over $100. Maybe they're listening. Anyhow, free shipping is always nice
Old 12-26-2018, 08:15 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Issues:
1 - No response on multiple emails and "contact us" forms.
2 - Can not find their phone number anywhere on their site.
3 - Found 888 number on RL - called it just to have a message saying to fill out the contact form on their site.
4 - Placed large order about a month ago - was told that it would take some time get everything in, which I was fine with. Charged my card at the time. Emailed about the status a couple of times as a few items were listed as ordered but ETA was N/A. No response. Now I've received a shipping notification for the order but one large item is missing. Found another number for Sunset Porsche Audi and was transferred to parts department...where I left a message about missing, expensive part.

Give them a 9 on prices but a 3 on communication.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:13 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

The long term parts manager at Sunset Porsche now works with and for Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport Racing.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:32 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Issues:
1 - No response on multiple emails and "contact us" forms.
2 - Can not find their phone number anywhere on their site.
3 - Found 888 number on RL - called it just to have a message saying to fill out the contact form on their site.
4 - Placed large order about a month ago - was told that it would take some time get everything in, which I was fine with. Charged my card at the time. Emailed about the status a couple of times as a few items were listed as ordered but ETA was N/A. No response. Now I've received a shipping notification for the order but one large item is missing. Found another number for Sunset Porsche Audi and was transferred to parts department...where I left a message about missing, expensive part.

Give them a 9 on prices but a 3 on communication.
Follow up:

I've received everything. The part that was missing was due to them removing it from the order. I had emailed (because multiple calls and voicemails yielding nothing) asking if it was possible to leave one part off and to let me know. Well, I never heard anything and I had decided to just keep the part and not source it elsewhere (so I needed the part). Not until the day they shipped the order (and excluded the part) did they send me a refund for that item and I still didn't know exactly what was going on. I was then notified that they had removed it from the order per my request...well, it would have been nice to get some kind of confirmation or any communication at all on that. I explained that I expected to receive it since I had not heard back from them and, to their credit, they fixed the issue - re-charged me for the part and shipped it at their expense.

In the end, they sent everything I ordered and the price was good. Communication needs some work but I would feel comfortable ordering again, knowing that they will ultimately make things right.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

If you google maps for Beaverton Porsche in Oregon (which is Sunset), call them up and ask for Luke in Parts who is the internet parts order manager you will get a great service and status on your internet orders with them.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:27 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 for Luke.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:31 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Luke is awesome and so is Sean.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:00 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

I am a frequent shopper of Sunset - never any issues - those guys are great.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:50 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I used to order my parts from Luke, pricing was always good but communication sometimes a bit iffy, and then he went radio silence on my last couple inquiries. I now use my local dealer (Porsche Plano) based on the recommendation from another RLer and I could not be happier. Great pricing on par with Sunset and Sonnen, excellent service, and it keeps the local folks happy. Sunset is a great place but we now thankfully have many more options to get OEM parts at reasonable pricing.

Quick Reply: Has the sun set on Sunset Imports? Or, Another One Bites the Dust