993 Forum 1995-1998

Broken Litronic bulb socket

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 10:09 PM
ghassea
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Litronic bulb socket

Hey folks, first post. So tried replacing my ds2 bulbs and cracked the bulb socket while trying to twist it on. I wasn't forcing it. The plastic just seemed to be brittle and broke off right at the groove that holds it in place.

The lights are working, but worried that eventually they'll wiggle off. Any ideas on a fix? Don't want to drop all the money on new igniters.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:32 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Any pics?
Old 09-29-2018, 10:43 AM
ghassea
Rennlist Member

Here's a stock photo.The slot on the right side of red portion of the igniter socket broke off. Now the socket can just pull away from the bulb since it can't be twisted on as normal. Make more sense? I can take an actual pic if not...
Old 09-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I got you. Yes that is annoying.

Well, unfortunately other than trying to hold it it with tape or some other bodge job which I wouldn't recommend due to the heat- I don't think glue will work either as it's too small to get a proper grip.

So, you are faced with replacing the whole piece from Porsche, or you could look at the Bergville FX kit which is highly recommended and would update both your headlights current day standards at probably a lesser cost. It includes bulbs, ballast all wires and is plug and play. I installed mine just yesterday in 10 mins- Tore at Bergville makes great products .

Hope that helps.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:48 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If your original pods are OE Litronic I am not sure the bulb mounting layout is the same as the Halogen headlight pods the aftermarket conversion kits are designed to fit. If you post some pictures of the internals to your headlight pods members here on Rennlist can probably give more accurate advice and validate a good fit.

An aftermarket replacement may be the way to go. Bergville or eBay aftermarket kit. The Bergville kit is an easier and cleaner install and the eBay solution is a generic kit, the one with the slim ballast is the one you want. When I installed the eBay kit in my car the Bergville kit was not yet available, that was over 10 years ago and the eBay kit is working fine today, however, the wire leads to the bulbs was a lot longer than needed so they are tied up inside the headlight pod with the ballast so none of the parts are external to the pod.
Andy
Old 09-30-2018, 04:06 PM
ghassea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meenrod
I got you. Yes that is annoying.

Well, unfortunately other than trying to hold it it with tape or some other bodge job which I wouldn't recommend due to the heat- I don't think glue will work either as it's too small to get a proper grip.

So, you are faced with replacing the whole piece from Porsche, or you could look at the Bergville FX kit which is highly recommended and would update both your headlights current day standards at probably a lesser cost. It includes bulbs, ballast all wires and is plug and play. I installed mine just yesterday in 10 mins- Tore at Bergville makes great products .

Hope that helps.
Thanks Meerod
Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 PM
ghassea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
If your original pods are OE Litronic I am not sure the bulb mounting layout is the same as the Halogen headlight pods the aftermarket conversion kits are designed to fit. If you post some pictures of the internals to your headlight pods members here on Rennlist can probably give more accurate advice and validate a good fit.

An aftermarket replacement may be the way to go. Bergville or eBay aftermarket kit. The Bergville kit is an easier and cleaner install and the eBay solution is a generic kit, the one with the slim ballast is the one you want. When I installed the eBay kit in my car the Bergville kit was not yet available, that was over 10 years ago and the eBay kit is working fine today, however, the wire leads to the bulbs was a lot longer than needed so they are tied up inside the headlight pod with the ballast so none of the parts are external to the pod.
Andy
Thanks Andy... They are oe litronic. I'll post some pics. Sounds like I should just hunt for some oe igniters on eBay.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:25 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks for the references guys.
The original Litronic and halogen bulb holders are indeed different, and I would recommend to try to get a spare bulb holder. D2S bulb holders are available on eBay or elsewhere, and can be fitted to the existing wiring. Beware, this is a high voltage system, and any soldering or similar must be carefully insulated.

The Bergvill F/X T-LIGHT kit is made for use in the halogen version of the 993 headlight, and it would be a bit difficult to use it in a Litronics headlight . The Litronic electronics is split in two, with one unit in the trunk, and one inside the headlight bucket. There is no +12V feed to the low beam bulb in a Litronic headlight, and modifications to the wiring must be done to use our kit, as well as using a D2S bulb holder.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 09-30-2018, 04:56 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

Keep it original if you have factory litronics...
Old 10-03-2018, 01:34 AM
ghassea
Rennlist Member

Agreed... Thanks folks

Quick Reply: Broken Litronic bulb socket