Heads-Up about the Oil Level Sender on your 993

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Default Heads-Up about the Oil Level Sender on your 993

I changed my oil yesterday on my 993, something I have done for years. For a change, I decided to use an oil extractor through the oil filler pipe to remove the existing oil. Turns out I was unable to get the extractor siphon tube far enough down into the oil tank to do this. I drained the oil through the tank's plug and finished the oil change. Low and behold trying to get the siphon tube down into the tank has now caused my oil level gauge to read a 1/4 of the gauge's range lower than previously. Could it be I bent the arm on the sender slightly trying to get the siphon tube threaded into the tank? If so can I reach down the filler neck with a wire hook and bend it back?
My takeaway for Rennlist Members is don't use an oil extractor to drain the oil tank on a 993. Could this be why so many of our cars have out-of-adjustment gauges?
Andy
Old 09-25-2018, 03:18 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I changed my oil yesterday on my 993, something I have done for years. For a change, I decided to use an oil extractor through the oil filler pipe to remove the existing oil. Turns out I was unable to get the extractor siphon tube far enough down into the oil tank to do this. I drained the oil through the tank's plug and finished the oil change. Low and behold trying to get the siphon tube down into the tank has now caused my oil level gauge to read a 1/4 of the gauge's range lower than previously. Could it be I bent the arm on the sender slightly trying to get the siphon tube threaded into the tank? If so can I reach down the filler neck with a wire hook and bend it back?
My takeaway for Rennlist Members is don't use an oil extractor to drain the oil tank on a 993. Could this be why so many of our cars have out-of-adjustment gauges?
Andy
Uh, gee; certainly sounds plausible in this case but I can't speak for the rest of the 993 population.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Andy
No offense intended, but MAN, sometimes I think you have way too much time on your hands!
Old 09-25-2018, 03:47 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gavonder
No offense intended, but MAN, sometimes I think you have way too much time on your hands!
I resemble this remark!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:37 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

For those of us who have removed the oil level sender from the tank to re-calibrate it, I can envision a pick-up tube hitting the arm or the float and bending it however, doing so would tend to bend it further down, not up. Further down would require that more oil be added to achieve mid-range on the gauge. OTOH, you might have bent the arm askew, causing interference with the inside wall of the tank and making it harder to float upward. I would refrain in trying to blindly snag the arm and pull it up. Rather to wait for the next oil change to pull the sender out to see what's what.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:51 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
I would refrain in trying to blindly snag the arm and pull it up. Rather to wait for the next oil change to pull the sender out to see what's what.
Thanks for the advice, I have removed the sender on an 86 Carrera that is right in front to you on the side of the tank in the wheel well.
On a 993 the sender seems to not be visible in the wheel well once the well liner is removed.
How does one get to it?
Andy
Old 09-25-2018, 07:51 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

You obviously damaged the sender somehow but I doubted you bent the arm. You cannot possibly shove a wire down the tube in hopes to bend the float arm back. It took some force using two hands to bend that arm when I calibrated mine to match the level on the dipstick. Getting to the sender is very easy. Remove wheel and plastic liners. Unfasten 6 8mm nuts, IIRC. Gently pull out unit to examine.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:58 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I have removed the sender on an 86 Carrera that is right in front to you on the side of the tank in the wheel well.
On a 993 the sender seems to not be visible in the wheel well once the well liner is removed.
How does one get to it?
Andy
it is in fact right above the large filter on the sump tank - easily accessed with the fender liner removed. 2 small nuts removed and the unit slides out with the arm and float attached... just need to drain some of the oil out probably before removing it... would be easy to accidentally bend with an extraction tube...
Old 09-25-2018, 08:13 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

I recalibrated my oil lever sender last time I changed the oil. Live with it until you change the oil again.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Andy,

Looking forward in the RR wheel well, this is the sender. Clean the area around the sender, remove the six 8mm nuts, and carefully withdraw the sender. You may need to rotate it to get the float out of the opening.

When you have it out, this is what it should look like if the sender arm hasn't been bent.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:31 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I Could this be why so many of our cars have out-of-adjustment gauges?
Andy
Nope, its just that the gauge that comes with the car is not well calibrated - I have adjusted dozens of them, and never heard of anyone siphoning oil out the filler tube causing this. Why on earth would someone do that if there is a simple drain plug at the bottom of the tank?

Variability can be due to the sender unit itself, or perhaps variability in the float. Regardless, bending the float is an easy fix. Bend the float downwards to make it get into the oil earlier thus making the gauge respond earlier. BTW, I so not remove the sender out of the tank, I just bend the arm gently with the sender just hanging out of the tank. A bit of caution around the float, it's just clipped to the arm and can dislodge. If it falls back into the tank, its a bear to get it back, since its non-metallic. That is another story, and I leave its retrieval as an exercise for the student.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Nope, its just that the gauge that comes with the car is not well calibrated - I have adjusted dozens of them, and never heard of anyone siphoning oil out the filler tube causing this. Why on earth would someone do that if there is a simple drain plug at the bottom of the tank?

Variability can be due to the sender unit itself, or perhaps variability in the float. Regardless, bending the float is an easy fix. Bend the float downwards to make it get into the oil earlier thus making the gauge respond earlier. BTW, I so not remove the sender out of the tank, I just bend the arm gently with the sender just hanging out of the tank. A bit of caution around the float, it's just clipped to the arm and can dislodge. If it falls back into the tank, its a bear to get it back, since its non-metallic. That is another story, and I leave its retrieval as an exercise for the student.

Cheers,

Mike
See, this is what happens when your website is down. People do these things. Just kidding with you. Any idea when you'll be back up and running?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:03 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Hi Andy,
Clean the area around the sender, remove the six 8mm nuts, and carefully withdraw the sender. You may need to rotate it to get the float out of the opening.
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2018, 12:04 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Nope, its just that the gauge that comes with the car is not well calibrated - I have adjusted dozens of them, ,
Mike
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:48 PM
jibmaster1
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
See, this is what happens when your website is down. People do these things. Just kidding with you. Any idea when you'll be back up and running?
++1 this made me laugh this morning! Thank you. SO TRUE!! I miss P-car workshop so bad.

Quick Reply: Heads-Up about the Oil Level Sender on your 993