993 Forum 1995-1998

Who DD's their 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Who DD's their 993?

Yes, I tried the search first and it seems this has not really been a topic of discussion since 2011, so here goes:

Who drives their 993 daily, as the primary mode of transportation? If so, under what general conditions -- commute distance, etc?

Right now my family lives about 50 miles from work and the commute can take 1.5 hours each way and is not good for my blood pressure (to say the least). So, we have a place about half the distance in-between where I stay most of the work-week evenings. The 993 is in a secure bunker there. When I drive from home to work, I take the yellow car, which is effortless to drive and, compared to most cars in the world, a blast. But every time I spend the night at the secured bunker, I take the 993 to work. To paraphrase George W. Bush, every time I start that car up and drive a few miles I remember that I misunderestimated it. The kids among us might say that it's "pure sex" but at my age I think it's closer to "pure romance" -- at least if memory serves correctly.

None of this would be a problem if I was close to a normal person and didn't have 4 cars of my own, in addition to Mrs. Inka's Tesla and daughter and son Inka's vehicles (thank God the girl is in college and has her car there with her!). And the other two -- both BMW Alpinas from the 1980s -- are less practical than my Porsches. Once boy (as he is referred to our house) is off to college -- assuming we can find one that will take him and not charge double tuition -- we (Mrs. Inka and I) will move to the secured bunker. Then I can DD my 993.

That's a long explanation of why I'm asking, but my question remains -- curious if I am alone in this journey, so to speak, and how doable it is in a 22 year old car?
Old 09-22-2018, 08:58 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

For years I drove my '96 to and from work (about 35 miles round trip) from 1998 to 2012. Never really had any issues, but with less than robust A/C June through September was a little tough. I've always felt these cars were meant to be driven (Dad had Corvettes that he showed, but drove them to the events). I stopped driving the car daily when my new position required much more driving; with 166k on the clock, I want to keep the miles down somewhat.

Last edited by s2racer; 09-22-2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 09-22-2018, 10:25 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

My 993 has been my daily driver since I bought it 13 years ago. Sort of.

I say sort of because I have no work commute and my primary mode of transportation is probably my bicycle. I put 3500-4000 miles a year on my 993.

I wouldn’t have it any other way
Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

My experience is these cars love to run every day and will reward with reliability when driven so.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:30 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default DD

My car has, by design, been a DD since I bought it 16 years ago. At the time I found a set of aftermarket 17” twists with barely used Michelin Arctic Alpins. I still put on those wheels (now with Dunlops) every winter.

My commute with the Porsche was about 10 miles. I’m now semi retired. Any “work” is done from my home office so there’s no longer a commute. The car has 115k on the clock and I still add 5k annually. That is about 2k less per year than when I was driving to work.

I just had it at the shop for an annual checkup, oil change, sunroof felt, etc. I think the tab was $1100. I have, as is typical, replaced a few parts during the year but nothing significant. Next week I will install a new turn signal switch to replace a broken original.

Other than an SAI-inspired top end rebuild 4-5 years ago, the car has not been particularly expensive to maintain. I sold my E24 BMW a year ago. It saw mostly car show and longer trip duty. A recently acquired E39 M5 gets some of the miles that would, formerly, have gone on either the Porsche or my wife’s Audi A4 Avant.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:11 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

This past year I have been driving mine on the weekend and about 1-2 times to work, with two young kids in the back jump seats for a morning drop-off. My old commute was about 90 miles, new one is about 30 miles now. Have a mix of stop and go traffic and fun times on some twisties and canyons if I take the long route. One of the reasons why I upgraded the head unit and speakers was to listen to my morning show and be able to take a call hands free in traffic. Makes a huge difference. I agree with @s2racer the A/C in East Bay 100+ degree temps doesn't work to well.

Last edited by samurai_k; 10-05-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:28 AM
1st State 993
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I drive it almost daily between April and December, but my commute is short (about 5 mi.) It is stored over the winter. Like yours, my true DD is a blast compared to most cars, but does not elicit the same emotions as the 993.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:12 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

In terms of the 22 year old thing- in my experience with the 964 being my newest car (first time with power steering- and yes I’m close to 50) I’d say the reliability of the car will come down to servicing electronics and the more specialized mechanical compnents. The old Bmw’s will outlast the 90’s tech- I have a 2002tii which has been my main squeeze (so to speak) since I have been in high school. I have never had to have it towed because It’s simple and I can fix anything I need to. But no creature comforts!
The 964 had an intermittent problem that would kill the engine at random every 2 months or so leaving me stranded requiring a tow. Of course when we got it to the shop it would start right up. A mechanics worst nightmare. Turned out the pcb warped in the alarm module and caused a soldered joint to just barely break. The air flow meter is showing it age a bit as well.

I actually would love to drive the 964 daily but on the other hand I want it to last as long as I do! So ultimately it comes down to how well I can maintain its condition both financially and in terms of my own time.

That all said- my daily is a diesel 40 series land cruiser-haha. With almost no maintenance it will probably outlast me.

Pete
Old 09-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
In terms of the 22 year old thing- in my experience with the 964 being my newest car (first time with power steering- and yes I’m close to 50) I’d say the reliability of the car will come down to servicing electronics and the more specialized mechanical compnents. The old Bmw’s will outlast the 90’s tech- I have a 2002tii which has been my main squeeze (so to speak) since I have been in high school. I have never had to have it towed because It’s simple and I can fix anything I need to. But no creature comforts!
The 964 had an intermittent problem that would kill the engine at random every 2 months or so leaving me stranded requiring a tow. Of course when we got it to the shop it would start right up. A mechanics worst nightmare. Turned out the pcb warped in the alarm module and caused a soldered joint to just barely break. The air flow meter is showing it age a bit as well.

I actually would love to drive the 964 daily but on the other hand I want it to last as long as I do! So ultimately it comes down to how well I can maintain its condition both financially and in terms of my own time.

That all said- my daily is a diesel 40 series land cruiser-haha. With almost no maintenance it will probably outlast me.

Pete
Im with you on new stuff. The older I get the less I like any new vehicle. Prices are crazy and they won’t last.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:03 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

My 993 is my daily driver - commuting to work, driving to the airport, getting the groceries etc. I have 2 kids seats in the rear and a booster seat in the front next to me (I have 3 kids). I traded a Dodge Challenger Hellcat for the 993 so it was a massive change! I specifically chose a 993 as the most reliable and DD-able of that vintage- for example as much as I'd love a 1990's Ferrari 348 it's just not possible to drive that every day without incurring massive costs.

So, in answer to your question - yes, I think it is entirely possible. Little things make the difference in terms of practicality- I have the Tore sourced Xenon headlight and projector upgrade (a must for night time driving) and I switched my headunit for the Porsche Classic with navigation coupled with a small amplifier and speaker upgrade. As much as I love the engine noise I do like to rock out to some ACDC from time to time or use a nav guidance to go somewhere new- it makes the experience more rounded, more practical.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:33 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

I essentially daily drive mine for three seasons but store it winters. It goes everywhere I do, lots of short daily drives to run errands, backroads play time, and two fun road trips totaling ~3,000 miles. I’ve owned it around 15 months, (including 6 months storage), and have put over 10,000 miles on it. I don’t have a normal job so can’t speak to a daily commute daily in bumper to bumper traffic.

In deference to my planned real-world useage I repaired the non-functional A/C, installed a Porsche Classic Radio, and hardwired a radar detector with remote display. I haven’t made any other changes to make it more comfortable or practical and despite some fairly aggressive suspension and exhaust mods I’ve found it very livable.

It turned 118,000 miles this morning and reliability has has been beyond reproach. There’s no doubt it runs better now with regular usage then when I rescued it from semi-garage queen status last summer. Go for it!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:25 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Until I got sick I DD mine and found it reliable. Me not so much.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:49 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

This is my goal when I move to a place where the weather suits my clothes.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:23 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DD. 993 4S. 217k miles. Not the slightest issue. Seattle weather.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:04 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been driving my '97 C4S daily for nearly 7 years.
Car had almost 69K miles when I purchased it and now has about 106K.
Commute is short, only 5 miles each way.
17" wheels with snow tires for the winter months and the car is great in snow up to about 6".
Thule roof rack attached to the drip rails to transport my road bike.

Quick Reply: Who DD's their 993?