993 Forum 1995-1998

Rennlist is a Family

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:16 PM
rcropp1
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Rennlist is a Family

I wanted to share how great the Rennlist family really is and how September 1st 2018 will be a day to remembered.

This particular story started over a month ago when this was posted:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...c2-on-c-l.html

I had reached out the contact in the Criagslist ad as well as RL member John, jdoc1949, and took him up on his offer to take a look at the car since he is local. John informed me that he has also be asked to look at the car by another RL member first, but would be happy to share what we saw with me if the other member didn't move on the car right away. A few days later John provided a great Rennfax and also spend about a hour with me on the phone talking about the car.

I have stayed in constant contact with the owner of the 993 and made plans to visit Kansas City to look at the car in person on September 1st. During my phone call when John weeks earlier he said if I did come out to visit he would be happy to pick me up at the airport and take me to the car. This was a great gesture and figured John was just being nice. With my visit quickly approaching I reached out to John just to touch base, he again said that he would be willing to meet me at the airport and asked for my flight details. So I canceled my rental car and planned to meet John at the airport. Yesterday I boarded an early morning flight from Baltimore to KC, and what do you know, true to his word, John was right there to meet me.

We drove over the see the 993 and talked cars the entire way. John has great collection of cars and seems to have an ability to get amazing cars and prices that just blew my mind. Once we arrived at the 993, he helped me look the car over, test drive it and even took notes of what we saw and what we figured needed to be done to make the car right. John also helped as I negotiated with the owner, by confirming what it would take to get the car right. In the end I was able to put a deal together to buy the car. My first 993! (more details to come) and I very very excited to get it home and start getting the long overdue maintenance done.

But my story doesn't end there. You see John and I had also been talking about KC BBQ and our shared love for Mid-Century Modern furniture. So after we finished the paperwork on the 993, we were off to his favorite BBQ spot Danny Edwards BBQ . Over lunch we continued to talk about cars, work and beer, Our shared love for good beer lead us to Boulevard Brewing for a few pints.

We finished off the day with visit for one of John's friends Mid-Century Modern Furniture store Retro Inferno. After looking over some amazing MCM pieces we headed back to the airport.

All of this came from a guy I had never meet before yesterday and it just goes to show what great people are out there and how Rennlist brings these great people together.

John thanks again for all your support!

To the rest if you if any of you are in Kansas City or a number of Vintage Races around the US, make sure to reach out to John. He is the salt of the earth!

Robb

Last edited by rcropp1; 09-02-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Ryanrayburn
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome story! Congrats on the purchase and new project. Some great peeps on this board.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

What a great story! Kudos to John for his efforts and you for recognizing it. This is indeed a great place!
Old 09-02-2018, 01:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Yep, Rennlist is like that I think a lot of us here own 993s for a long time in part because of this particular forum. You know what's great about this? Besides a good friend in John, you'll appreciate the car even more, because this was a part of bonding experience. Not sue what's more valuable To me, the people are even more important than cars.

Kudos, John! Welcome, OP!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:35 PM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Robb, what a great story. Congrats man! Happy for you.
Looking forward to cruising around the dmv with you and the guys.

Love the blk paint. Excellent!

Feel free to send me a text if you want a hand wrenching on the car. P-daddy is even closer to you and he knows these cars in and out.

More pics!!
Old 09-02-2018, 03:21 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Great story...thanks for sharing...and to John, thanks for helping to make Rennlist and the Porsche community great.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:11 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Excellent Robb!! I’m glad the year long search is paying off. Can’t wait to see it. Congrats!
Old 09-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Enjoy your first 993, there is no turning back!
Old 09-02-2018, 07:40 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Great story but you lost me on the Mid Century Modern Furniture part
Old 09-02-2018, 08:30 PM
RRSLLC
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!
Old 09-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Kinda restores your faith in humanity, doesn’t it? Congrats on the purchase.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:44 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Great story, thanks for sharing! There are days I think that only seemed to happen back in the old school days of Rennlist now that there seems to be so much bickering, price threads, etc.. but you restored my faith in good old Rennlist. Now if we each commit to paying it forward it can stay that way!

Congrats on the 993!
Old 09-04-2018, 01:26 PM
akrca4
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay777
Kinda restores your faith in humanity, doesn’t it? Congrats on the purchase.
+993
Great to hear this type of stories again! Especially with all the chaos going on around the world. What a nice way to begin the 993 ownership experience!

Andy
Old 09-04-2018, 02:48 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

A great story for sure! I'm often amazed by the community here, and plan to do my part if needed!
Old 09-17-2018, 01:24 PM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Robbs new car

Originally Posted by rcropp1
I wanted to share how great the Rennlist family really is and how September 1st 2018 will be a day to remembered.

This particular story started over a month ago when this was posted:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...c2-on-c-l.html

I had reached out the contact in the Criagslist ad as well as RL member John, jdoc1949, and took him up on his offer to take a look at the car since he is local. John informed me that he has also be asked to look at the car by another RL member first, but would be happy to share what we saw with me if the other member didn't move on the car right away. A few days later John provided a great Rennfax and also spend about a hour with me on the phone talking about the car.

I have stayed in constant contact with the owner of the 993 and made plans to visit Kansas City to look at the car in person on September 1st. During my phone call when John weeks earlier he said if I did come out to visit he would be happy to pick me up at the airport and take me to the car. This was a great gesture and figured John was just being nice. With my visit quickly approaching I reached out to John just to touch base, he again said that he would be willing to meet me at the airport and asked for my flight details. So I canceled my rental car and planned to meet John at the airport. Yesterday I boarded an early morning flight from Baltimore to KC, and what do you know, true to his word, John was right there to meet me.

We drove over the see the 993 and talked cars the entire way. John has great collection of cars and seems to have an ability to get amazing cars and prices that just blew my mind. Once we arrived at the 993, he helped me look the car over, test drive it and even took notes of what we saw and what we figured needed to be done to make the car right. John also helped as I negotiated with the owner, by confirming what it would take to get the car right. In the end I was able to put a deal together to buy the car. My first 993! (more details to come) and I very very excited to get it home and start getting the long overdue maintenance done.

But my story doesn't end there. You see John and I had also been talking about KC BBQ and our shared love for Mid-Century Modern furniture. So after we finished the paperwork on the 993, we were off to his favorite BBQ spot Danny Edwards BBQ . Over lunch we continued to talk about cars, work and beer, Our shared love for good beer lead us to Boulevard Brewing for a few pints.

We finished off the day with visit for one of John's friends Mid-Century Modern Furniture store Retro Inferno. After looking over some amazing MCM pieces we headed back to the airport.

All of this came from a guy I had never meet before yesterday and it just goes to show what great people are out there and how Rennlist brings these great people together.

John thanks again for all your support!

To the rest if you if any of you are in Kansas City or a number of Vintage Races around the US, make sure to reach out to John. He is the salt of the earth!

Robb

​​​​​​Robb, Glad the car has found a new home it deserves it, Im sure you and your friends will enjoy getting the car up to snuff. I just got back from Watkins Glenn and it was a great birthday weekend for me.
It was a fun day especially seeing somebody else spend there well earned money on a great car and then having a few beers afterwards to celebrate. I hope all is well and business picks up for your company, don't forget Im a medium size.
Maybe next year when Im up North again we can meet up again.
Kindest regards
John O Connell

Quick Reply: Rennlist is a Family