993 Forum 1995-1998

Sunroof Hel[p Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Sunroof Hel[p Needed

Need some help. I removed my sunroof to replace the rear felt. After putting it back it will not close all the way. It gets to the point where the rear should pop up but does not. I can push it up manually. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Pictures:

Old 08-22-2018, 07:34 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

This is pretty conmon.

Make sure the front y shaped piece that runs along the rail is oriented properly. See my photos.

Also, make sure the rear attachment that connects the transmission cable to the roof is oriented correctly. It should make a positive cluck when it fully shuts and that signals that the roof has clicked up into place.

Hope that helps.
Michael

Old 08-22-2018, 07:46 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Yes, I did have the front pieces in upside down. Fixed that. The rear cable is oriented as in your photos. I noticed in your picture there are no washers (like I have). Do you remember where those washers go? Underneath the front "Y" connection? Still not closing. Also, no 'click' when closing. Will look at that more closely.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

This needs to oriented correctly in order for the hinge on it to snap up and lock.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:55 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Unlocked it looks like this.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

OK, I'll look at that in the morning. I should probably lube that as well.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:44 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Also I don't think the extra round washers change the height of the roof because the the metal paddle that attaches to the transmission cable linkage bolts right to the metal of the roof panel regardless.
--Michael
Old 08-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Back at this today. How do you access the cable where it attaches to the roof hinge. I think mine has come loose as one side no longer moves when the switch is pressed.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:05 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
Back at this today. How do you access the cable where it attaches to the roof hinge. I think mine has come loose as one side no longer moves when the switch is pressed.
The cable and the mechanism that bolts to the roof are all basically one set of parts.

To unattach one or both of the cable halves, go back near the rear window and unzip the zipper. Pull out the foam baffles and undo the two screws that hold the drive gear in. The coupling to the electric motor is a rubber puck thing. Undo that. Pull the metal piece with the drive gear in it down after unscrewing it.

Once you free the gear from the cables, you can remove each cable separately. If the cable is broken, pull it out and feed the new one in. Get it lined up with the opoosite side by pulling it all the way forward so it can't go any further on the track.

Then reattach the rear gear unit with the two screws.

Sorry if that is long-winded but I am typing from memory.

If you have trouble PM me.

Michael
Old 08-24-2018, 06:48 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Talking

Michael thanks for your help. I removed the rails where the cable/hinge slides back and forth to check to see if the cable had come loose. Fortunately, it was still connected and intact. That meant the cable was detached at the motor. Unzipped the liner, removed foam and removed transmission. Then, pushed the cable rearward so that it appeared again at the transmission. Then lined up the two sides so they were even, replaced the transmission and zipped it back up.

A friend stopped by and we were both trying to figure out how the mechanism works that pops the roof. I still don't understand it. Anyway, he noticed the ridges in the hinge and nut (see your photo above). By moving the nut down towards the body of the car, it somehow allowed the roof to fully pop into the correct position! Now all is well and sunroof works perfectly. Again, thanks for your help. Peter
Old 08-24-2018, 06:51 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

You are very welcome. Glad to help!
Michael
Originally Posted by Vorsicht
Michael thanks for your help. I removed the rails where the cable/hinge slides back and forth to check to see if the cable had come loose. Fortunately, it was still connected and intact. That meant the cable was detached at the motor. Unzipped the liner, removed foam and removed transmission. Then, pushed the cable rearward so that it appeared again at the transmission. Then lined up the two sides so they were even, replaced the transmission and zipped it back up.

A friend stopped by and we were both trying to figure out how the mechanism works that pops the roof. I still don't understand it. Anyway, he noticed the ridges in the hinge and nut (see your photo above). By moving the nut down towards the body of the car, it somehow allowed the roof to fully pop into the correct position! Now all is well and sunroof works perfectly. Again, thanks for your help. Peter

Quick Reply: Sunroof Hel[p Needed