Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

This is not a Sunroof Repair DIY

Old 08-12-2018, 10:10 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts
Default This is not a Sunroof Repair DIY

I have the same realization every time I get done doing a repair on the 993: man, I should I have recorded what I did to share it. For comedy, for what not to do, for a nice example of human ineptitude. Over 7 years of ownership, I have had many of these misadventures. All of them required multiple trips to the hardware store. Some featured tears--privately, in the sanctuary of my garage. Fortunately, none of them required a flat bed to the repair shop.

This time was no different. The last few weekends I have been trying to fix a bunch of issues that have been annoying me. This weekend it was a rattling and generally ragged condition sunroof.

My symptoms were lots of rattles with the roof all the way open, seals that were falling apart and apparently a tool box worth of tools banging around above my head when I cornered. I have been accumulating the seals and parts over the last two years. Procrastination. Because the car is my daily, I really needed to be careful how deep I got myself in. This is an easy job, right? Just disassemble the whole thing, replace all worn parts with new ones. 3 hours, max. I started on Friday night and worked 3-4 hours Saturday and the same today.

The good news is that it is "done." The bad news is that is not "done." Haha. I am still working out why it rattles when open, but I did locate the source of some of the other noise: a screwdriver(!), some bits, and a CCU puller U shaped tool. Funny. All not my doing except the CCU puller tool. My bad. I put it on the roof a few months ago with the roof open then drove away and it slid right in.

Now I have new parts in and it slides smoothly and is adjusted right. The new seals, that is another story. Have to revisit the ones I put in from time to time. I am not so hopeful.

The trim piece cover that snaps into the roof lid on the inside of the car looks like it was hand hammered by a coppersmith. Rough shape. It is bent to **** at this point. The pleather covering it is tattered. Next time I will take that out and cover it. It looks awful.

All in all, I took everything apart and put it back together 5 times(!) The only thing I did not take out was the electric motor and metal guide tubes. I think I understand how it all works now. Or not.

So why tell anyone this? Well, I am not a mechanic but I am not not a mechanic. I like taking stuff apart and am somewhat less adept putting it back together. But I don't give up.

That might be my only redeeming feature as a fixer of my machines.

This is my DIY. Or not.

--Michael

Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

"a screwdriver(!), some bits, and a CCU puller U shaped tool"

Wow. Impressive collection. I've lost a few tools over the years and now you've got me wondering. Thanks for the story.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Great post, thanks for sharing. I’m also wondering when that flatbed will be coming to tow me out of a jam, LOL.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks for sharing, M. Sharing those misadventures (after all has been rectified) I find is cathartic; although the anxiety one feels while in the middle of such an misadventure is so acute! Given that you have done this 5x now, Do you have any thoughts on which set of DIY instructions are best to follow (or more specifically, what things to watch out for?) I have been procrastinating the disassembly of my own sunroof mechanism for several years as well --- there are rattles up there when the roof is closed that I wish to fix.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:18 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Thanks for sharing, M. Sharing those misadventures (after all has been rectified) I find is cathartic; although the anxiety one feels while in the middle of such an misadventure is so acute! Given that you have done this 5x now, Do you have any thoughts on which set of DIY instructions are best to follow (or more specifically, what things to watch out for?) I have been procrastinating the disassembly of my own sunroof mechanism for several years as well --- there are rattles up there when the roof is closed that I wish to fix.
Hi:
I think I looked at Pelican when I did it a few years ago but this time I just took it apart, most from memory.

PM me and I can give you my cell number if you run into difficulties.

I found that most of the DIYs leave things out so familiarize yourself with the parts, take pics along the way for part orientations and dive in.

I suspect a few plastic bits are broken that you are not aware of.

Have fun,
Michael
Old 08-17-2018, 11:43 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Seals are in well but just need to adjust where they meet on both sides front and back. That is the tricky bit for aesthetics.

--Michael
Old 08-17-2018, 11:53 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Hi Michael,

My sunroof seal is done and need to replace it. Besides getting a new one of those seals what did you end up replacing "while you were in there"?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2018, 04:08 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Hi Michael,

My sunroof seal is done and need to replace it. Besides getting a new one of those seals what did you end up replacing "while you were in there"?

Thanks!
I replaced the guide rails, a bunch of the plastic clips, some nuts and bolts on the drive shafts, and some of the brass/copper v-pins that hold the trim piece in. Not too much. If I were doing it again I would buy all of the small plastic parts and replace them. After 22 years of use, everything was loose with lots of freeplay causing rattles.
--Michael

Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Old 08-17-2018, 07:48 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Exactly.
--Michael
Old 08-18-2018, 01:07 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme

I replaced the guide rails, a bunch of the plastic clips, some nuts and bolts on the drive shafts, and some of the brass/copper v-pins that hold the trim piece in. Not too much. If I were doing it again I would buy all of the small plastic parts and replace them. After 22 years of use, everything was loose with lots of freeplay causing rattles.
--Michael

Wondering based on your experience of doing this job a few times do you know which parts in this diagram should be replaced? Thank you in advance!

Old 08-18-2018, 03:19 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Hi:

As requested, I took some pics of the Bentley with the parts I replaced highlighted. Some of those parts are times 2.

As for the seals, I did the two velvet seals and the long rubber strip as well.

Double, triple check orientation of parts when you disassemble. Take photos. Don't rely on memory. Trust me. Haha.

One more thing, remove the interior sunroof trim panel after you unbolt the guide rails. Otherwise you will mangle it.

Have Fun,
Michael

Old 08-18-2018, 04:40 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This is not a Sunroof Repair DIY