Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Spare wheel puzzle??? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1089316-spare-wheel-puzzle.html)

Heidi993 08-10-2018 10:46 AM

Spare wheel puzzle???

I would think i'm having a blonde moment, but it may not just be me!!!

so we got a new battery, and took out the spare wheel to fit the battery, and saw the tyre was flat.
Took it to our garage as we assumed it needed a repair, and the guy there said it just needed pumping up.

Now it has been sat in our garage for a while, because this was just before we took it off the road last winter.
Went to put it back and no way will it fit.
I have googled 993 spare wheels, and they all look flat - well they look like this one did when it was taken out!!!!

So - my question is, is it supposed to be flat to fit in the spare wheel well, (ie are we meant to let it down to fit it back in) and if so, how would you be meant to inflate it if you do need it in an emergency?

jrmdir 08-10-2018 11:03 AM

Yes - they are all flat (collapsed) when in storage. Our cars came originally with an electric air compressor that stores in the wheel cavity and is plugged into the cigar lighter when needed. You'll have to try to get all of the air out of your spare to get it to collapse all the way back in.

Many cars have the compressors missing by now. OEM versions are rare, expensive and not as good as aftermarket versions. Do a search on this forum and you'll find a lot of discussion/recommendations for replacement units.

jo-hans 08-10-2018 11:07 AM

subscribed :corn:

centerpunch 08-10-2018 11:11 AM

Assuming this is not a joke thread, here's a video of a spacesaver spare in action

norbtx 08-10-2018 11:12 AM

What's the life span of the spare. Mines 23 years old and has probably never been out of the frunk let alone inflated.

os993 08-10-2018 11:25 AM

Actually used the spare once in my almost 19 yr s of ownership. It works.

But yes, collapsible tire.

mike cap 08-10-2018 11:33 AM

I am cracking up - gotta be a joke. Good luck getting all the air out to make it fit back in it's hole.

Chuck W. 08-10-2018 11:33 AM

Years ago I got a flat on my '97 993. I pulled out the collapsible spare, used the OEM pump and got the spare on. Once I got the tire repaired I deflated the spare and it went back to its compressed size and went back in the frunk. I even cleaned it up so it appears as it had never been used. They work!

pp000830 08-10-2018 01:40 PM

The OE tire pump is good for about one inflation and then it's toast. I wonder if we should be relying on a 20-year-old tire for emergency use or will we just create another emergency driving away on it. I wonder if a fresh replacement tire can be purchased?

Farland 08-10-2018 02:54 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d60f8ceb3a.jpg

jrmdir 08-10-2018 03:09 PM

Definitely not Porsche-approved, but cheaper than a flat tow. Anyone carry something like this? I'm now thinking about it.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5e1034d112.jpg

mike cap 08-10-2018 04:39 PM

I carry a Slime Compressor kit and various plug kits to avoid using the spare or calling for rescue.

jrmdir 08-10-2018 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by mike cap (Post 15206242)
I carry a Slime Compressor kit and various plug kits to avoid using the spare or calling for rescue.

Thanks for the tip! I had not noticed the Slime kits before. Going to pick one up this weekend.

Heidi993 08-10-2018 06:11 PM

Not sure why some are thinking it's a joke thread??
surely I can't be the only one who wanted to put the spare back in??

What I am mad about is I had no reason to take it out .I only removed it in the first place to blow it up because it was flat.
😒

Anyway, here's the real funny bit.
Let the tyre down, and it did shrink in a wierd way.
Took out the battery and pushed it down into place which was a struggle.
a real struggle.
The sort of struggle you think about giving up, and then feel sorry you didn't.
There is a strip of metal sticking out on the bulkhead which it eventually popped under.
And was wedged.
Miles out of place, with no room for a couple of AA batteries let alone the car battery.
After a lot of stressing and straining (by someone a bit stronger than me) we got it back out with two bars.

So I'm guessing that's it, never going back in?
does nobody have a spare under the bonnet?
I would like it to go back in just because it's supposed to be there.

Also, there is a second, odd looking valve on it, what is that for?
Is it something to do with deflating it perhaps???

mike cap 08-10-2018 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Heidi993 (Post 15206440)
Not sure why some are thinking it's a joke thread??
surely I can't be the only one who wanted to put the spare back in??

What I am mad about is I had no reason to take it out .I only removed it in the first place to blow it up because it was flat.
😒

Anyway, here's the real funny bit.
Let the tyre down, and it did shrink in a wierd way.
Took out the battery and pushed it down into place which was a struggle.
a real struggle.
The sort of struggle you think about giving up, and then feel sorry you didn't.
There is a strip of metal sticking out on the bulkhead which it eventually popped under.
And was wedged.
Miles out of place, with no room for a couple of AA batteries let alone the car battery.
After a lot of stressing and straining (by someone a bit stronger than me) we got it back out with two bars.

So I'm guessing that's it, never going back in?
does nobody have a spare under the bonnet?
I would like it to go back in just because it's supposed to be there.

Also, there is a second, odd looking valve on it, what is that for?
Is it something to do with deflating it perhaps???

You’re killing me dude!! You have to get all the air out of it and it’s not easy to get it back to its original shape. Borrow a fabric tie down strap the ratchet kind and use it on the circumference of the tire (tyre?) to re compress it. You’ll have to pull the valve stem core out of course. This is what I did way back when. It’ll work.