Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Do our 993's have rev-limiting?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Do our 993's have rev-limiting?

Was getting on the highway yesterday in second gear and got the revs up pretty high squeezing in ahead of a truck when the engine started "stuttering". Up-shifted and everything was fine. Didn't notice what revs were but wouldn't be at all surprised if I red-lined. The car normally runs like a dream and I've never noticed any erratic behavior before up to at least 6k. (97 C2S 6 speed). The rev-limiting on my '13 Boxster, which does have rev-limiting, is better-behaved where it just cuts power momentarily, so this seemed unusual.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Yes, our cars have rev limiters. Best to not hit it on a regular basis. It's like constantly using insurance as protection over common sense; at some point, the carrier will "deny your claim."

The limiter won't help with a missed shift aka a money shift.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-question.html
Old 08-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

OK, good to know. Thanks.

How do you like the Miata? I owned an 02 Miata SE in titanium, too. Put 120 kmiles on it from '02 to '14. Dollar-for-dollar, best car i've ever owned. The only maintenance needed was oil, headlight bulbs, tires and a few batteries.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Jay,

It's pretty common to hear the rev limiter kick in at autocross events, and stuttering is just how it feels and sounds. This should never happen, however, on the street IMHO. Turn the radio down and open the window and you should never get near the red line.

Jim
Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay777
OK, good to know. Thanks.

How do you like the Miata? I owned an 02 Miata SE in titanium, too. Put 120 kmiles on it from '02 to '14. Dollar-for-dollar, best car i've ever owned. The only maintenance needed was oil, headlight bulbs, tires and a few batteries.
Love my Miata!

Written in another recent thread in OT:

I daily drive/run errands in my Miata if I don't need to carry passengers or haul stuff. I bought my 24,000 mile, 2002 model as a beater car ten plus years ago and have fallen in love with it. Anyone who appreciates driving will love the incredible lightness and connectedness. Very, very few other cars out there have a mixture of reliability, balance, low weight, cost and fun. As much as I loved my old 993 race car, I would jump often into the Miata and marvel at how well it compared.

I have revalved Bilsteins (Fat Cat Motorsports), so the ride is not bad. Still, if I had to do it over again, I'd strongly consider the Xida XL coil-overs with their supple ride (more frequent rebuild intervals, though).
Old 08-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The factory set the rev limiter (fuel cutoff) at 6750 RPM.

Due to hysteresis in the tach movement, it can look like more.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:47 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Steve, is this done electronically though the fuel pump relay on the 993? Didn't the older Porsches like the SC's use a mechanical rev limiter inside the distributor? Or so I was told.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2018, 02:59 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Steve, is this done electronically though the fuel pump relay on the 993? Didn't the older Porsches like the SC's use a mechanical rev limiter inside the distributor? Or so I was told.
Its done electronically (software) to cut the injector drivers in the ECU.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:34 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Its done electronically (software) to cut the injector drivers in the ECU.
Did (do) any of the chip tuners remove the rev limiter? A PO installed a chip in my '95 C2 which I know very little about, and I have heard it is possible some tuners remove the rev limiter. As a result, I take care to shift no later than 6200 or so...

Based on the paperwork on the EPROM included with the car, it may be from a company called PERFORMANCE but I have not been able to find any information on a tuning company with such a name.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:07 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Could be the old “Performance Products” parts house. I believe they merged with Automotion. To your question: Absolutely some chip makers increased the rev limit, and often higher than what is comfortable on stock internals.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:50 AM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

For cars with stock cams in my experience its best to shift at 6,500 in 1st gear, than approx 6,250 in all other gears. Feels quicker to me than shifting just before redline.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:27 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny my rev limit seems to be set to 7500

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
Did (do) any of the chip tuners remove the rev limiter? A PO installed a chip in my '95 C2 which I know very little about, and I have heard it is possible some tuners remove the rev limiter. As a result, I take care to shift no later than 6200 or so...

Based on the paperwork on the EPROM included with the car, it may be from a company called PERFORMANCE but I have not been able to find any information on a tuning company with such a name.
The chip tuners don't remove the limit, they just raise it, most seem to raise it to 7000rpm. This was believed to be the 'Safe" upper limit for a stock engine (rods, rod bolts, lifers etc being limiting factors), which I don't agree with personally,
Old 08-17-2018, 01:42 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
The chip tuners don't remove the limit, they just raise it, most seem to raise it to 7000rpm. This was believed to be the 'Safe" upper limit for a stock engine (rods, rod bolts, lifers etc being limiting factors), which I don't agree with personally,
Yup, I was surprised to find my 964 taching up to 7,000 at a a few Auto Crosses last summer. When installing a Steve Wong Chip I discovered that the PO had previously installed an FVD Chip. Apparently FVD likes to increase the rev limiter to 7,000. The Wong Chip works much better IMHO (particulalry at the low end), and restored the 6,750 rev limit.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:51 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by trophy
I totally concur.

Stock engines are safe at 6750 RPM (provided the valve springs are OK), however its not safe to take it to & over 7K unless many internals are upgraded. Frankly, stock or RS cams are all done by then, anyway.

I never raise the rev limiter unless the valve springs, retainers, and rods have been upgraded. Engine revs above 7200 require either extensive oiling modifications or a GT-3 crank and bearings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do our 993's have rev-limiting?