993 Forum 1995-1998

Advanced Skip at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 07:43 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Post Advanced Skip at Laguna Seca

Last week was a blast. My bro and I drove up to Monterey for a two day advanced racing class with Skip Barber.
It was our first time driving Laguna Seca and also the R/T 2000. What a blast!!

The first day was real bad for me. I just couldn't get comfortable behind the wheel. Probably because I haven't been tracking much lately but everything just felt wrong. My foot work was horrible, I wasn't looking up, I was fighting the car and it was fighting me. I kept locking up the brakes, it was mayhem...
The second day was completely different. It all came together. My eyes were up, my feet were dancing and I was turning some really good laps.
I guess I just needed some confidence in a new car on a new track.
Having said that, Laguna Seca is by far, the most awesome track I have ever driven. It's a lot scarier than any other track I've ever driven. The elevation changes, the high speed corners and of course, it's extremely technical.
I didn't spin at all though. I did however have a off road excursion in turn two. I locked up the brakes and went off course.
My favorite turn at Seca is 4. A lift, a breath, and full throttle through track out.. WOW!!!
The corkscrew isn't as bad as I thought it would be, it's just really hard to resist the early apex/turn in at the top of the screw. 10 is also a great turn.

I actually did the two day course with a broken rib nonetheless. (I broke it Shifter Kart racing two days prior to skip.) I didn't contact anything, the seat was too small for my big (_!_)
and the lateral G's evidently caused too much pressure for my ribs.. Shifter Karts are cool, but no comparison for a real car (IMO).

The R/T 2000's are great but I'm not a huge fan of the sequential gearbox. Guess I just like the H boxes I'm used to. At certain times I found it to distracting to remember what gear I was in. It was fun upsshifting with no clutch though.

It was a great class and a great track. I can't wait to do it again in the Pcar..
Old 12-09-2002, 11:06 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
Seth

A couple more days and you'll grow to love the sequential shifter.

It does take a little more to remember what gear you're in, instead of knowing from the lever position in the "H".

A little trick that helped me is just remembering how many downshift flicks are needed for each corner. then it becomes all rhythm and engine sound.

btw, who taught your class?

M in C
Old 12-10-2002, 02:14 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Hey Mike,

By the end of the second day, I didn't mind it horribly.. Matter of fact, I learned that I had a new problem.
The second day was spent mostly on passing drills and starts, single file and regular, then we had open lapping to end the session.
During the lapping, we were allowed to open pass.
For some strange reason, every time I go to the in side with a clean pass, I'm so busy concentrating on braking, passing, turning, I forget to downshift until I'm through the turn.
Then I get repassed because of my blotched shifts
It didn't happen during the drill though. Only during open lapping. Guess I let the excitement get ahead of me. After all, it's not a good pass unless you can keep the lead..

My instructors were:
Randy
Rob
Bryant
Mikal
bryan

They were all really cool and helpful. I hope to do my first race real soon!!
Old 12-10-2002, 03:21 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
did the class in May and am still dreamin' about it! Wish I had the $$ to do the series.

Quick Reply: Advanced Skip at Laguna Seca