993 Forum 1995-1998

Track Tires revisited

Old 12-09-2002, 04:25 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Post Track Tires revisited

Hey All,

I need some quick info and didn't have time to search the archives. I need tires for this coming weekend and am going to re buy the Kumho Exsta V700's from Tire rack. They are going to heat cycle and shave them for me.
The price is $915.72 with shipping. I was going to try a different tire but Tire rack informs me, this is the most economical tire to buy, bang for buck... Everything else is a considerably more expensive.
I don't care about getting the ultimate performance, I am doing DE's, not racing or Time Trials.. And, I don't want to spend a small fortune on cup tires etc..
Just wanted to get some quick feedback from you guys/gals..

Thanks.
B
Old 12-09-2002, 04:34 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
"I need some quick info and didn't have time to search the archives"

Would you "listen" to anyone else anyway? Sounds like you already made your decision. BTW, You don't even have to do a search just go forward a few days and you will see some posts on a similar subject.

Unbelievable....
Old 12-09-2002, 04:43 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hello Seth,

I can't compare to Kumho's (since I don't have experience) but I have Supercups (without cycling or shaving) and I had one quite hard Porsche DE at Homestead. IMO, good, predictable grip and I'd say I still have few track days in them.

Others have raived about supercups (see some posts as Greg suggested) also and based on Panorama's test, these are "the" tyres to get (economically also, they cost little more, but they should last longer)
Old 12-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From your post, I think both the shaving and heat cycling aren't worth it. You'll give up slightly on grip, but you'll get longer use without shaving, and from my exerience as well as others using Victoracers, the heat cycling made no difference in wear or performance.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:21 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used Kumho's Ecsta V700's for 2 track days and 2 autocrosses. The more I use them on the race track the LESS I like them. They go from cold to overheated in about 10 minutes and then you just wear them out while sliding all over the place. I chase tire pressures all day long with them and don't think they are really a serious track tire.

Conversely, they work well for autocross since they seem to be a softer compound than other DOT-R tires. They don't get the chance to overheat in a typical auto-x run.

Based on your past posts and my interpretation of your driving capabilities, I believe you will be VERY disappointed with the Kumho's. Spend the extra cash and get the Michelins. From what I hear and what I've read, you won't be sorry.

Matt
Old 12-09-2002, 07:20 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Thanks for the advice all..

I just made my calls with the intent of getting the cups.. Unfortunately, they have to go through Indiana and I won't get them in time.
So, for this purchase I'm going to stick with the Kumho's but next time I will order the cup tires in advance.
(I need everything by thursday...)
Nothing like the last minute !!!!

I am really excited to drive the cups though..I have a set earmarked for my next tire purchase.

Greg... What's with the hostility??

Seth
Old 12-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by B-Line:
<strong>
Greg... What's with the hostility??

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It literally takes less time to search the archives vs coming here and asking the same question that was discussed just a week ago.

Here are three threads that took me all of two minutes to find:

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=006426" target="_blank">Michelin Pilot Sports....</a>

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=006402" target="_blank">Competition tires</a>

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=006219" target="_blank">Update on Kumho Ecsta...</a>

Your approach just smacks of arrogance.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:48 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Well Greg,

I'm sorry for waisting your time...
In the past I've had no success using the archives effectively. I am not being arrogant, I just had to make a quick decision and didn't have the time to figure out the archives..
Old 12-09-2002, 07:53 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Seth,
If you can figure out the complex recording equipment you use, I am sure a little thing like a search feature won't be too much of a challenge.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:17 PM
kary993
Drifting

Greg,

I have found you to be most helpful on many occasions on this forum. I too am not sure why you have reacted this way. There really isn't any harm in someone asking about a topic that has already been discussed. I would think that if it is wasting your time you would not even respond. The most you would invest is reading half way through his post and move on.

Let's try and be friendly to all so we do not stop people from asking questions. After all, that is why this forum is so useful and enjoyable.

Kary
Old 12-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kary,
Basically the first statement set me off. Almost the same as asking about the factory recommended tire pressures but prefacing it with a statement that you just don't have time to be bothered with looking it up in the owners manual that is sitting in your car twenty feet from you.

I agree we should help and ask questions about our cars but this particular topic was discussed three times in the past month.

My response was not even as harsh as ole grump Ray who is famous for telling people to buy a friggin manual.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:33 PM
B-Line
Drifting

For the record....

Greg, thanks for the unwarranted attitude.

Your right, I should be able to search the archives and not waste time with post's that had been previously discussed. But it's not because of my arrogance or laziness.
Rather, I was searching in the wrong area. I just discovered that all you have to do is hit search at the top and it will bring up a good search engine...

IN THE PAST WHEN I HAVE TRIED TO SEARCH THE ARCHIVES, I would go back to the rennlist home page and click on "SEARCH THE PREVIOUS 993/996 RENNLIST FORUM ARCHIVES" and I would try to do my search there. It is a useless link.

So yes, there was user error on my part and the answer was in front of me all along. But the method I was using to search came up with nothing.

Sorry for your inconvience Greg and I'll expect in the future that you'll just ignore my posts..
Old 12-09-2002, 09:13 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

If no one calls people out for not doing their homework, what *will* dissuade them from repeating this behavior?

I mean, really -- it's asking other people to do work that you can't be bothered to perform yourself.

Does anyone think a 'how to use the search feature' page would be useful? Or would the people most in need of the information be least likely to actually look at it?
Old 12-09-2002, 09:18 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Hey Robert,

I hope for us not to get into a heated debate about this. I have recognized my mistake and moved on.

For the record, I have tried searching the archives in the past, it would seem the method I used was not working and I have since Greg's belittlement of me, found a new way to search.

But recognize, there is another search link that does not work... So it's not that I wasn't trying but rather, was trying the wrong thing.

Be well.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:23 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by B-Line:
<strong>I have since Greg's belittlement of me, found a new way to search.

But recognize, there is another search link that does not work... So it's not that I wasn't trying but rather, was trying the wrong thing.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you think I was belittling you then you really have very thin skin. But glad to hear you figured out a way to do a search on your own. I guess we should all say "Congratulations".

Seth your second sentence is not relavant to your initial request. Had you written that, I am sure my response would have been different. You just stated that you didn't have time to look. Not that you didn't know how to look...
I am sorry if you don't see the difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Tires revisited