Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI Completed, please help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 12:57 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Completed, please help me decide...

I posted this to another site as well, but I have to make up my mind today so I'm posting it here as well.

I had a PPI done on a triple black 96 C4 cab with 16K miles. Factory options include:

159 Motor Sound Pkg
373 Left Sport Seat w/ Power Height Adjuster
374 Right Sport Seat w/ Power Height Adjuster
408 18" Technology Design Wheels [1996]
C02 Equipped with catalytic converter
X76 Flared Rocker Panels
Y06 Shift Lever/Brake Handle-Aluminum
Y29 Aluminum/Chrome Pkg (instruments, tailpipe, door sill)
M6B Porsche Floor Mats
419 storage compartment in place of rear seats
498 badge delete (badge was added later)
445 Wheel Rim Caps with Porsche Crest

The dealer was asking $44K and I put a deposit down at the agreed up $41.5K subject to a PPI. I just got the results and I'm not sure

a) how much I should lower my offer
b) whether I should try to lower my offer and go for it if they refuse
c) walk and keep looking.

Here are the results:

Cosmetically, the car looks like a 16K mile car should - very clean. There are some scrapes under the front valence from bottoming out that are visible only when under the car.

One of the fenders was bolted on slightly crooked, but there was no indication of any accident and the paint seems to match perfectly - may have been removed and reinstalled for some other reason.

There are some wear marks on the top. There is a little puckering at the top of the rear window, but it doesn't seem like there is a gap where air could get through.

The support struts (shocks) for trunk and engine compartment need to be replaced.

Front tires have some dry rot, rear tires are a bit worn on inside and have some rot (both original).

New battery, but wrong one (AC Delco)

No Wheel lock key to be found

No manual

Creak in dash when braking hard

Brake calipers painted red (not big reds) and red paint is peeling off

Remote radar detector installed, brand unknown

boot (tonneau) cover sealed, unused

After market stereo, several amps in trunk

Electric modules in each of the door pockets. Possibly crossovers for aftermarket stereo, possibly for door locks

Clicking heard for first few minutes after cold start seemingly from door locks - sounds like the doors are trying to unlock but are already unlocked - possibly related to these modules but unsure.

Of these issues, I'm most concerned with the top, tires, the clicking, and these unidentifed door modules. Any advice for the next step? I can post a bunch of pictures if that helps.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:18 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a well optioned car - I have never heard of flare rocker panels. You mentioned nothing about the engine and clutch and how it faired the PPI. You need the wheel lock key and new tires. You need the key code from the owners manual - make sure you get that (the key code) - if the marks on the top are just behind the door and one on each side you are getting ready to puncture the top - creak in dash could be the window but if its not that sounds fishy along with the crooked bumper - the electrical problem could be a nightmare to find and fix - sounds like all the aftermarket stuff wreaked havoc (amps and radar) the modules, if they have wires coming out are most likely speaker crossovers - try taking all that stuff off the battery to see if it solves your lock problem. Sounds just a bit high on the price because of no history and the top and tire problems - but if you want to sell the seats and the rear delete to recoup - well, you certainly have a captive audience, starting with ME! Good Luck, at 41.5 I would have them put good new tires on and make an allowance for the top and whatever else you did'nt mention on the engine, drivetrain, clutch ect...
Old 01-13-2004, 01:32 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Engine, brakes, clutch, and everything else mechanical was fine. I think it's a little high too, considering it comes with a few electrical... projects.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:36 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

I would be worried about all that fiddling with the electrical system. Them gremlins is hard to kill.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Just curious, can you shed some light on "X76"?
Old 01-13-2004, 02:06 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

Originally posted by Mark in Hermosa
Just curious, can you shed some light on "X76"?
Nope - just that it's listed as an option in the option codes which I cross referenced to the online option code guides. Like the catalytic converter, perhaps all 993's have this option.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds a tad high to me. For that kind of money, you don't want to have to go cleaning up after someone else as soon as you get the car home.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:23 PM
MonkeyBoy
Racer

I agree. I just turned it down. If it's still around and he'll go down a few $K in a few weeks I might be interested.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:45 PM
sgschroeder
Addict
Rennlist Member

On the X76 question - it does indicate flared rockers, I have a '97 coupe with that option, along with x61 and x62 which (I think) are front splitters. The amount of flare to the rockers is minimal at best compared to my stock '95.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Moto
Intermediate

I concur with the advice given. There are alot of cabs on the market right now - and for that price you should not be dealing with projects to get the car perfect.

I would pass and find another or wait to see if the dealer would reduce the price to an acceptable level.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:01 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 492 Posts

I, too, think you did the right thing. There seem to be an abundance of cabs for sale at the moment. I am leary of no paper trail as well. I think that hurts down the road when you go to sell too. I have been told that it is bad for the top to be driven w/o the tonneau cover on although could be a case for "mythbusters" maybe I should send that one in. Keep looking, it's half the fun anyway!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monkeyboy,

you did the right thing!!
Old 01-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Stan_Gosfriend
Track Day

I think I know the last owner of this car - is it from Orland Park, IL? If so, you made the right decision. The one I know was towed by AAA instead of flatbedded and the AWD is all sorts of screwed up. PM me if you want more stories to validate your decision.

Quick Reply: PPI Completed, please help me decide...