993 Forum 1995-1998

premium or discount for 1995 993 C2 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:11 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by SwayBar
Have you driven a 993 before? If not, go drive one first.

I mention this because if you're looking for straight-line performance, you'll be greatly disappointed with the 993.

If you're not looking for acceleration, then you'll find it's a great car.
Thanks. In the past 16 months I've driven at least eight different 993s. I have very little interest in straight-line performance. I am looking for an engaging sports car with the classic look, feel, smell, and sounds of a Porsche 911. The 993 is the most refined iteration before the slippery slope to bloat began. While I love the looks--especially the Fuchs wheels--of pre-964 911s, I have decided they're just a bit too dated for me, so I focused on 993s. And that's how, after about 16 months of searching, I found several that tick my boxes, so I plan to try them. Wish me well.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:58 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Thanks. In the past 16 months I've driven at least eight different 993s. I have very little interest in straight-line performance. I am looking for an engaging sports car with the classic look, feel, smell, and sounds of a Porsche 911. The 993 is the most refined iteration before the slippery slope to bloat began. While I love the looks--especially the Fuchs wheels--of pre-964 911s, I have decided they're just a bit too dated for me, so I focused on 993s. And that's how, after about 16 months of searching, I found several that tick my boxes, so I plan to try them. Wish me well.
Did you end up finding the right car? Curious how this story ends??
Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Personally, I'd pay more for an early-build '95 than a '96-'98 example with equal miles, condition, and options. This after nearly 13 years of wrenching on my 6/94-build clunker, as well as a dozen or more 993s of varying miles, condition, etc.

The simplicity of OBD-1, lack of immobilizer, and the relatively simple intake manifold are key to me.

Andreas
Mine is a 94 too, If You have an alarm You have an immobilizer as well, it is a part of the alarm system.

The 94s are known as the best 993s!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
Did you end up finding the right car? Curious how this story ends??

So glad you asked....Instead of dipping my toe in the water, I went ALL IN. I ended buying three 993s: 1995 C2 in Guards Red with about 36k miles, 1997 C4S in Arctic Silver with about 23k miles, and a 1996 C4S in Polar Silver with about 122k miles. The last one I bought somewhat inadvertently by fooling around on BaT. I didn't actually really want to buy it...I was just playing around, as I had been speaking with the owner for weeks before he listed it. By the time I submitted what turned out to be the winning bid, which was relatively early in the auction, I had already basically agreed to buy the other two. I am selling the Polar Silver one and have not driven it, except from the seller to a consignment shop, about 100 miles away.

One reason I went with both NB and WB cars--in addition to being uncertain about living with a Guards Red Porsche (which now I LOVE)--is because I decided the only way to REALLY know which you prefer is to live with them and drive them. During my search and exploration, I went full circle several times on the merits of C2s, C2Ss, and C4Ss. In the end, THEY ARE ALL GREAT and any would be just fine. In fact, given the price premiums usually associated with the WB cars, I struggle to see the value. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the looks of the widebody...but the NB cars have great hips, too.

For some non-car related technical reasons, I haven't driven the C4S much, but I have spent some good time and miles in the C2, and am developing a real appreciation for it.

With more time, I will try to expand on my experience.

Here are some photos....

Old 01-02-2019, 09:37 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Congrats they look great!! A few years ago, I had a C4S and a 95 C2 in the garage. Found myself driving and enjoying the C2 much more. Just my experience...

Quick Reply: premium or discount for 1995 993 C2 coupe